Leeds United

Qwpzxjor1

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

Bielsa’s done well with Leeds. He’s turned them around, got them promoted and now on track to finish comfortably mid table. He’s got to be in the mix for manager of the season?

I think Moyes should get it but definitely in contention same as Smith as well

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I like him, but Smith isn't even in the conversation when Moyes had done such a brilliant job.

Stayed up last minute of last season to get to upper midtable before Grealish injury

Its for some reason not impressing villa fans but its not gone unnoticed by people outside villa 

I think what goes against DS a bit is rightly or wrongly people from outside in media and general perception is the money he's spent. 100m the summer we went up and then another 80m on top last summer. And Grealish.

Of course we all know we simply had to do it given we had about 5 serious prem players in our whole squad when we went up but people will probably compare to other managers who've come up in recent times and not spent that much.

It's ironic with Leeds as they've largely established themslves without any of their big money signings playing that much, Llorente hardly played until start of Feb, Robin Koch been injured for months and Rodrigo seems largely out of favour now, those three were 70m I think. Just Raphinnia been the unqualified success so far

• Like 1

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Looking at both clubs fixture list coupled with the fact that we have Jack out i do think they will finish above us.

I should think it's a racing certainty. In fact I think they'll finish 6+ points ahead of us.

18 hours ago, PaulC said:

Yes if you look at stats alone but I don't think the result was any fluke. 

Its not a fluke but they were very lucky. Its a fairly standard way to play against teams like this Manchester City. We did it for a long time and were eventually undone by a goal that should have been offside.

9 times out of 10 City stick the ball in the back of the net a few times and win that game comfortably. On this occasion they didn't and then were too open for the counter attack at the end of the game. 

Its a good win for Leeds but any suggestion that its some sort of Bielsa masterclass is pretty laughable. Pretty much every team in the division will go to the Etihad and play in that same way. Even this season West Brom have taken a point from the Etihad with largely the same game plan.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

Its not a fluke but they were very lucky. Its a fairly standard way to play against teams like this Manchester City. We did it for a long time and were eventually undone by a goal that should have been offside.

9 times out of 10 City stick the ball in the back of the net a few times and win that game comfortably. On this occasion they didn't and then were too open for the counter attack at the end of the game. 

Its a good win for Leeds but any suggestion that its some sort of Bielsa masterclass is pretty laughable. Pretty much every team in the division will go to the Etihad and play in that same way. Even this season West Brom have taken a point from the Etihad with largely the same game plan.

United did it a few weeks ago and Mourinho at the start of the season

On 10/04/2021 at 23:38, HanoiVillan said:

I should think it's a racing certainty. In fact I think they'll finish 6+ points ahead of us.

they should be winning at least 3 of their last 7

we'll do well to win more than one or 2 of ours.

i think wolves will finish above us too...they have a number of winnable games left, including 4 of the current bottom 6

26 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

they should be winning at least 3 of their last 7

we'll do well to win more than one or 2 of ours.

i think wolves will finish above us too...they have a number of winnable games left, including 4 of the current bottom 6

Yeah, I think you're right. I expect us to finish 12th, I don't think Palace have enough to catch us.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

You do realise that we were playing the same way we’d played all season and were winning until we went down 10 and were forced to play more conservative. 

On 10/04/2021 at 22:33, VillaChris said:

I think what goes against DS a bit is rightly or wrongly people from outside in media and general perception is the money he's spent. 100m the summer we went up and then another 80m on top last summer. And Grealish.

Of course we all know we simply had to do it given we had about 5 serious prem players in our whole squad when we went up but people will probably compare to other managers who've come up in recent times and not spent that much.

It's ironic with Leeds as they've largely established themslves without any of their big money signings playing that much, Llorente hardly played until start of Feb, Robin Koch been injured for months and Rodrigo seems largely out of favour now, those three were 70m I think. Just Raphinnia been the unqualified success so far

But isn’t this the argument. Bielsa got the best out of a “championship” squad and has currently 10th where as yourselves felt it necessary to spend big on the squad and smith barely kept you up. What would smith have done with your championship team? 

2 minutes ago, BigRed said:

But isn’t this the argument. Bielsa got the best out of a “championship” squad and has currently 10th where as yourselves felt it necessary to spend big on the squad and smith barely kept you up. What would smith have done with your championship team? 

Yes some like Dallas and Cooper have stayed and done much better than expected.

However you've moved others on like Barry Douglas who was regular in first 18 months of Bielsa and Foreshaw's another who's hardly featured, guessing injured as you haven't loaned him out.

Pablo Hernandez another with his age and everything that's had significantly less minutes than usual.

As much as he's a brilliant coach I'm not sure Bielsa would get Leeds anywhere near 10th if say he had Casilla in goal, Berardi somewhere in defence, Douglas at LWB, Forshaw in CM and Hernandez as number 10 as regular starters in prem. That is similar standard to us just sticking with likes of Nyland, Hutton, Whelan. Adomah etc.

Â