Media and punditry

BOF

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Stellings gone at the end of the season

The whole thing has a "I used to watch games on teletext" feel about it now, it's not the people it's the format, they can't compete with streams, if sky want that money they need to lobby to show every game at any time, that's the only thing left for them 

I used to enjoy the show but yes you're right 

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Stellings gone at the end of the season

The whole thing has a "I used to watch games on teletext" feel about it now, it's not the people it's the format, they can't compete with streams, if sky want that money they need to lobby to show every game at any time, that's the only thing left for them 

Can’t blame him that show is shit nowadays with the likes of Clinton morrison Sue smith and Tim sherwood on it, he should have left when they got rid of le tissier and the rest of them 

• Like 2

Soccer Saturday gets lambasted on here but it’s been a significant part of my football experience over the years and I still watch it, though far from religiously. 

Stelling will leave a big hole, the missus actually made an interesting suggestion to replace him with Tim Lovejoy, though I don’t know if he and Sky would be willing to work together again as I believe it was an acrimonious split when he left for C4 (could be wrong on that).

• Like 1

I spent years watching it, often down the pub with mates after a trip to the bookies

That's why I threw in teletext, I also spent years watching that 

SS has dated in the same way, you don't need it now, if you want the villa game you can stream it, if you want to check bets you can use their apps, if you want a score checker you have google

Add to that sky themselves have reduced the number of PL 3pm kick offs 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I spent years watching it, often down the pub with mates after a trip to the bookies

That's why I threw in teletext, I also spent years watching that 

SS has dated in the same way, you don't need it now, if you want the villa game you can stream it, if you want to check bets you can use their apps, if you want a score checker you have google

Add to that sky themselves have reduced the number of PL 3pm kick offs 

I picked up a great deal during operation restart last season when all games were on somewhere or other. The standard of the punditry, the bias help for the scum6 until they were possibly losing them to the SL, straight back on it though after and now even worse imo, trying to sell players on behalf of certain clubs etc, Brucie treatment this month, alright he's crap but they as good as sacked him for Newcastle etc.

Absolute dog of an organisation. Will not renew after deal ends, not a chance.

Edited by Phil Silvers
  • Like 1

I think Sky are crapping themselves if all the clubs just start doing stream only deals. That is why they threw such a wobbly over the European super league, it wasn't due to any morals.

I can see DAZN taking a large chunk of the football away from them like they have done with the boxing.  Stelling going is the end of the 90/00s glory years for them.Lumbering dinosaurs.

6 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I think Sky are crapping themselves if all the clubs just start doing stream only deals. That is why they threw such a wobbly over the European super league, it wasn't due to any morals.

I can see DAZN taking a large chunk of the football away from them like they have done with the boxing.  Stelling going is the end of the 90/00s glory years for them.Lumbering dinosaurs.

With that in mind I'm surprised sky haven't floated it already and got ahead of it

Same with the PL, I'm surprised tgey didn't put the infrastructure in years ago to film / produce the games themselves and then sell it

Even if the clubs do end up streaming everything themselves who will own the cameras and therefore the footage? That will be the money maker 

10 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I'm sure the contract says they are not allowed do that. Any large contract for broadcast rights would say that.

But all games available to stream is where it has to go, whether that comes from Sky, Amazon or the clubs themselves. They would have to do it as a collective or the whole thing falls apart.

55 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Wish people wouldn't engage with this, by phoning in or reacting to the tweets they're giving talksport and Murphy what they want. They're purposefully trying to push buttons and fishing for reactions. People are basically putting money in their pocket when they react to it. He'll absolutely love being called Mr Anti Villa as it shows it's working, probably got him a bonus. 

Edited by Rds1983
  • Like 1

Sad to hear Gerald Sinstadt has died. From the understated old school of commentary, based on the printed press. Often used to do the match summaries at the end of MOTD before they covered every game in huge detail. 

He also did the narration of the 80s BBC video on Villa. 'Shaw and Withe went together like bacon and eggs- and together they sizzled' Class.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Thanks 2

On 14/10/2021 at 21:06, foreveryoung said:

Jack Wiltshire was on the 1600 show today on Talksport. He must be the most boring person I have ever heard on the radio. No enthusiasm whatsoever. They must just feel sorry for the waster and give him some air time. I could even sense it was difficult for the presenter to keep the program interesting, he was proper hard work to have conversation with.

I always listen to podcasts when I'm in the car these days rather than the radio, but hearing about the Gerrard appointment today I decided to put Talksport on to hear the latest, possibly any comments from him, the club, etc.

Instead I got the wisdom of Jack Wilshere, who has all the charisma of a breeze block (and probably a similar number of brain cells) and Andy Goldstein, who I absolutely cannot stand.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Troglodyte said:

I always listen to podcasts when I'm in the car these days rather than the radio, but hearing about the Gerrard appointment today I decided to put Talksport on to hear the latest, possibly any comments from him, the club, etc.

Instead I got the wisdom of Jack Wilshere, who has all the charisma of a breeze block (and probably a similar number of brain cells) and Andy Goldstein, who I absolutely cannot stand.

Goldstein is not to bad, but I have to admit he is so far up his own arse it's unreal. Wiltshire, I have no idea how he has got that job. Can only think they feel sorry for him not being able to get a club.

There's a reason Wilshire can't get a club, an it's the same reason he was always injured. He just never looked after himself.

3 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Goldstein is not to bad, but I have to admit he is so far up his own arse it's unreal. Wiltshire, I have no idea how he has got that job. Can only think they feel sorry for him not being able to get a club.

There's a reason Wilshire can't get a club, an it's the same reason he was always injured. He just never looked after himself.

Yep I remember a few times he was filmed in clubs and smoking. Look i understand people want to enjoy themselves its fair but to be an elite midfielder you have to take care of yourself 

• Like 1

Wilshere was on Super Sunday.

All the thousands of former footballers out there...do none of them want a job?

He's **** dull. Like seriously dull....dull and slow and dim.

On talksport. " So Jack who's the best player you played with."

"Erm....erm....erm...I'll come back to you on that one."

"So Jack, do you like oxygen?"

"Oh, oh, erm..you've put me on the spot there. Let me have a think. Do I like oxygen?"

Mate. Get a personality. Please.

Â