Media and punditry

BOF

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I think she's alright. It is an uphill battle being a woman involved in the men's game, and she's not fantastic, but give me her any day over Carragher and the usual lot. 

I can't take people seriously complaining about her when people like Trevor Francis and his doppelganger Tony Gayle still call games, who in addition to being complete bores, have very obvious biases that they can't keep under wraps on the mic.

• Like 1

Off topic, but most commentators are poor.

I was always of the opinion that a commentator should bring a bit of emotion into the game, rather than deep analysis of it. Analysis, looking at formations, movement, that's for experts to look into and for football geeks to think about. It's hard to do during the game, and very few people can do it. 

The game itself should be entertainment and it would be much easier to have passionate entertaining people commentate on the game and bring some emotion into it. Over the last few years YouTube showed there are hundreds of people who can do that who aren't called Michael Owen.

I always liked the commentary from USA and South America. Give me a GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL over Robbie Savage any day of the week. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I always liked the commentary from USA and South America. Give me a GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL over Robbie Savage any day of the week. 

To be honest, I'd take a day clearing dog s**t for the council over Robbie Savage. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Off topic, but most commentators are poor.

I was always of the opinion that a commentator should bring a bit of emotion into the game, rather than deep analysis of it. Analysis, looking at formations, movement, that's for experts to look into and for football geeks to think about. It's hard to do during the game, and very few people can do it. 

The game itself should be entertainment and it would be much easier to have passionate entertaining people commentate on the game and bring some emotion into it. Over the last few years YouTube showed there are hundreds of people who can do that who aren't called Michael Owen.

I like analysis and emotion. Very few can analyse in detail anyway, they just talk in boring clichés.

11 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I like analysis and emotion. Very few can analyse in detail anyway, they just talk in boring clichés.

I'd say save deep analysis for the studio after the game, for people skilled in doing it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Sam-AVFC said:

Agreed. Give me Keown, Savage, Owen, P.Neville, Jenas, Lawro, Redknapp, Townsend etc any day of the week.

They might all be completely useless, but at least they're men and men should only have to listen to other men talking about sport. I'm sick of agendas being pushed on us and having to listen to a woman talking about a sport when it's men on the grass kicking the ball. Next they'll have someone in a wheelchair commentating on able bodied football. Disgraceful.

If I wanted to listen to a woman commentating I'd have watched the knitting.

Meme Creator - Funny Soccer? You mean man bun convention Meme Generator at  MemeCreator.org!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Agreed. Give me Keown, Savage, Owen, P.Neville, Jenas, Lawro, Redknapp, Townsend etc any day of the week.

They might all be completely useless, but at least they're men and men should only have to listen to other men talking about sport. I'm sick of agendas being pushed on us and having to listen to a woman talking about a sport when it's men on the grass kicking the ball. Next they'll have someone in a wheelchair commentating on able bodied football. Disgraceful.

Careful with this kind of joke on here, some of the people that like this might think you're being serious 

43 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Careful with this kind of joke on here, some of the people that like this might think you're being serious 

naw I think most can smell the sarcasm from a mile away

49 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Stop being so precious she is crap and sits with many of those you mention. She is a commentator because of her sex not her ability.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hippo said:

These female commentators really are hopeless the one I was listening too describing the goal 

"He takes a good first touch" !

I like target more than most. His form nosedived without Jack in front of him. But now the midfield is functioning again his form has picked up again.

Amazing how you can have different thoughts about the same commentator. For a blue nose Carney is actually very good as a commentator. And doesnt say things like oooh he has just kicked it in the goal " 

Very insightful how she described our tactics on Saturday.  Up there with Emma Hayes as a female commentator who understands the game like we do. 

8 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Stop being so precious she is crap and sits with many of those you mention. She is a commentator because of her sex not her ability.

The point you might be missing is that a lot of the men are rubbish commentators. I have to tune out Andy Townsend for example. They're not commentators for their commentating ability. She wasn't bad at all. There were definitely a couple of things she said that I disagreed with but it doesn't feel enough to shake my fists at the modern world.  

Edited by Rolta

6 minutes ago, Rolta said:

The point you might be missing is that a lot of the men are rubbish commentators. I have to tune out Andy Townsend for example. They're not commentators for their commentating ability. She wasn't bad at all. There were definitely a couple of things she said that I disagreed with but it doesn't feel enough to shake my fists at the modern world.  

I know there are plenty of rubbish men commentators  at no point have I said all men comentators are good all women are crap. I'm not angry just pointing out I felt she was very poor and not a natural commentator and probably there for reasons other than ability.

Â