Media and punditry

BOF

Was watching this clip of Soccer Saturday earlier:

Was this the programme people (even on here) were losing their shit over saying Merson and co were being sacked for the sake of "diversity". 'Cause I'm looking at this and they've somehow managed to replace them with 4 achingly boring blokes, 3 of them white. Give me Merse over these guys any day. Jamie Mackie? How is it even possible to be a 3rd rate Joe Cole?

Just now, villa4europe said:

I'm guessing they're being sacked because the viewing figures are down and sky are blaming the presenters rather than the format 

The format is dead 

Yeah that was always obvious, but we can't let reality get in the way of our sweet culture wars.

BBC article on a French Cup game where a team from Tahiti has made a 20,000 mile round trip to France. Obviously someone has decided to take the piss out of whichever intern wrote this story

Remarkably, the Oceania Football Confederation reports this is not even Venus's longest journey in recent years - it was eclipsed by a 10,500-mile trip to New Caledonia in 2015.

Maybe I am being petty, but it is pretty easy to fact-check this as wrong by looking at a map...
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59277738

Edited by a-k

19 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Was this the programme people (even on here) were losing their shit over saying Merson and co were being sacked for the sake of "diversity". 'Cause I'm looking at this and they've somehow managed to replace them with 4 achingly boring blokes, 3 of them white. Give me Merse over these guys any day. Jamie Mackie? How is it even possible to be a 3rd rate Joe Cole?

Jamie Mackie. Kenny Miller. Jobi McAnuff. Michael Dawson. An ounce of talent between them, and not a single interesting or insightful perspective to be found.

• Like 1

Gabby Agbonlahor on TalkSport, I’ve only been listening for about 5 minutes but he keeps doing a really fake ha, ha, ha, ha, haaaaaaaaaa over and over.

Its really weird and annoying. Obviously can’t think of anything to say so does a really long force laugh.

42 minutes ago, Genie said:

Gabby Agbonlahor on TalkSport, I’ve only been listening for about 5 minutes but he keeps doing a really fake ha, ha, ha, ha, haaaaaaaaaa over and over.

Its really weird and annoying. Obviously can’t think of anything to say so does a really long force laugh.

He is the perfect TalkSport commentator. 

He doesn't bring much insight, and his comments are often inflammatory which builds views.

I like Gabby, but don't like the TalkSport format.  

Watching clips of Simon Jordan on Talksport is weird, not that he is a bad pundit/commentator but they always put him with somebody like Danny Murphy, Mills or Trevor Sinclair who dont understand the words he is saying

On 17/11/2021 at 16:17, Zatman said:

Watching clips of Simon Jordan on Talksport is weird, not that he is a bad pundit/commentator but they always put him with somebody like Danny Murphy, Mills or Trevor Sinclair who dont understand the words he is saying

Simon Jordon and Keown on a Friday is not bad listening, It's obvious Jordan don't really get on with Keown. 

On 13/11/2021 at 19:50, villa4europe said:

I'm guessing they're being sacked because the viewing figures are down and sky are blaming the presenters rather than the format 

The format is dead 

The quicker they introduce club season tickets the better. I’m not going to pay for sky so I can watch Liverpool v Watford, but if I had the opportunity to watch an away game I can’t get a ticket for I’d be all in . 

9 hours ago, av1 said:

The quicker they introduce club season tickets the better. I’m not going to pay for sky so I can watch Liverpool v Watford, but if I had the opportunity to watch an away game I can’t get a ticket for I’d be all in . 

Would be bad for us financially, as the top 6 would get a bigger cut then us and we're already playing catch up with FFP. 

On 13/11/2021 at 19:37, Keyblade said:

It’s like listening to the lad talk about his puppies in the film ‘scum’ 😁

9 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

What the **** is Conor Cody doing commentating on MOtD. I don't agree with players commentating on other teams when they are still playing. They should be concentrating on there own game. I mean is the no one else they could get??

And the most irritating voice in football. 

• Like 1

Karen Carney gets it in the neck on Twitter, but honestly, she's no better or worse than all the other boring co-commentators on TV. Actually, I kind of enjoyed her commentary on our game today. No cliches and pointing out the glaringly obvious, and it's clear she has a keen eye for the game...it's just the way she expresses it that needed work.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Karen Carney gets it in the neck on Twitter, but honestly, she's no better or worse than all the other boring co-commentators on TV. Actually, I kind of enjoyed her commentary on our game today. No cliches and pointing out the glaringly obvious, and it's clear she has a keen eye for the game...it's just the way she expresses it that needed work.

I think she's alright. It is an uphill battle being a woman involved in the men's game, and she's not fantastic, but give me her any day over Carragher and the usual lot. 

• Like 1

Â