Media and punditry

BOF

8 hours ago, The_Rev said:

I've been listening to Football Weekly since about 2008, it's still my favourite bit of football media.  The JJB thing is a bit of meme which started last year when JJB was caught in an obvious lie about Dean Smith (I forget the details but he clearly hadn't watched the game that week) and was ripped to shreds for it on the show and in the comments.  A couple of weeks later Villa humped Arsenal 3-0 at  The Emirates and he got loads more from the panel and the comments and it's just spiralled from there.  Max basically won't let it die now and JJB initially seemed more than happy to play along for a while but it seems even he is getting bored of it.  

Yes, I agree completely. It’s become a source of sympathetic embarrassment for me. A joke told too often. Not sure where Football Weekly ranks in UK, but among soccer podcasts in the USA, it’s second only to ESPN’s, which I’ve never heard, I confess. I like the tension between the regulars. I’m a huge Barry fan and the intense sniping between Barry and Wilson.

BT Sport's punditry is atrocious. Rio Ferdinand and Michael Owen are just terrible. Hargreaves isn't too bad in all fairness. 

I thought Sky was bad until I've watched some of the Champ League content over the past couple of days. 

31 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

BT Sport's punditry is atrocious. Rio Ferdinand and Michael Owen are just terrible. Hargreaves isn't too bad in all fairness. 

I thought Sky was bad until I've watched some of the Champ League content over the past couple of days. 

Strange thing about Hargreaves. When in the studio he is fine but as a co-commentator he is so robotic, unable to string more than 3 or 4 words together at one time

39 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Rio was ridiculous yesterday because Messi was lying on the floor for a free kick saying he wouldn't allow him to do that if he was in the team. 

Heard a few "Oh god, they're finally going to do it this year aren't they" takes in regards to PSG after beating Man City in the Champions League without a hint of irony.

If Man City beat PSG I'm sure we wouldn't be getting "Oh god, they're finally...." take.

Edited by Hornso

Yep.  It’s as predictable a reaction as it will be when a strong team makes it to about November without losing in the league and people start declaring them the new invincibles.  

21 hours ago, Zatman said:

Dirk Kuyt following a line of shitty ex Liverpool player pundits declaring the Champions League is not for champions like Sheriff

Called out by the Sheriff manager after

The Sheriff needs to turn the tables and shoot Dirk kuyt instead. Absolute jockstrap.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I thought PSG were pretty poor myself, their best player was their GK, if city had a striker they'd have scored a few

Not really mentioned by the media as they were too busy gawping over Messi.

Very typical Pep Guardiola performance against the elite. Played with no striker to press, dominated the ball, but against a better defensive outfit with danger on the break they came undone. Happens every season since Barca in the CL

It only worked at elite champions league level at Barca because he had the greatest false 9 of all time in Messi to score 40 goals a season wherever he played, since then he's struggled. Great manager but he just can't help himself but meddle in big knockout games.

4 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

The Sheriff needs to turn the tables and shoot Dirk kuyt instead. Absolute jockstrap.

and they deserve to be there having going through qualifying and beating Shakhtar and Real Madrid. What an absolute Kuyt he's being.

• Like 1

On 30/09/2021 at 16:12, Jono62 said:

and they deserve to be there having going through qualifying and beating Shakhtar and Real Madrid. What an absolute Kuyt he's being.

Damn right, and they’re probably one of the few actual champions in the champions league.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jono62 said:

Lawro has us to lose this weekend.

Is it an outrageous opinion? It was against some minnows, but Kane appearing to find some form could be a problem. I back us to win but not so much I think it's a problem someone disagreeing

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Is it an outrageous opinion? It was against some minnows, but Kane appearing to find some form could be a problem. I back us to win but not so much I think it's a problem someone disagreeing

I record against spurs is dreadful, almost as bad as our record v man utd over the last 15 years

Remember being 4-1 up and coming away with a draw

Â