Media and punditry

BOF

Just now, Djemba_Villan said:

This Amazon coverage.

* * * * ME!

Post game. Bored to death of them talking about city injuries, they went through the performance of EVERY city player, even they looked a bit awkward. In-game Townsend tried but I almost forgot we were playing for chunks of the game.

They edged the game.If we’d have drawn, it would not have felt undeserved. 

Should we expect more of this with the likes of Amazon/Dazn in the mix for coverage. Doubt they’re that incentivised to give clubs a balanced level of coverage.

At least you can turn off commentary with Amazon, I turned it off in about the 10th minute.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

At least you can turn off commentary with Amazon, I turned it off in about the 10th minute.

I turned the whole thing off by half an hour.

It might sound like crap, but we really do play better when i take no notice whatsoever.

Very annoying.

all the ex-pros in media almost never take in to account the fan reactions about almost anything outside of scum 6 club fans. Brighton fans booing the team off the pitch, us booing Grealish etc.

Edited by Villaphan04

2 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

all the ex-pros in media almost never take in to account the fan reactions about almost anything outside of scum 6 club fans. Brighton fans booing the team off the pitch, us booing Grealish etc.

I think Keane is the only one that understands it because he worked at other clubs. Carragher and Neville one club men 

Watched the whole of MNF yesterday thinking that Carragher and Neville may have done some analysis on how Villa setup differently under Gerrard compared to Smith seeing as Gerrard is best buds with Carra. But nope, nothing about Villa, just a section on Man United and how they setup differently with their new manager.

Why do I even bother?

Edited by PieFacE

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Watched the whole of MNF yesterday thinking that Carragher and Neville may have done some analysis on how Villa setup differently under Gerrard compared to Smith seeing as Gerrard is best buds with Carra. But nope, nothing about Villa, just a section on Man United and how they setup differently with their new manager.

Why do I even bother?

I see why you're annoyed, but I doubt the pundits have that much control over the topics of conversation. They will talk about what sells at the end of the day. 

the last sky / neville thing i saw was on youtube under the heading "neville breaks down every teams performance over the weekend" we beat utd that weekend, dont think he mentioned us once along with around 12 other teams that he didnt mention either

Don't get me wrong: I couldn't admire Mo Salah's skills more. He's a joy to watch in action. But some of the recent praise of the Liverpool goal wizard winger has just felt really hyperbolic to me. This article is one example.

"Without the era of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, how would we think of Mohamed Salah right now?" asked Pat Nevin on BBC Radio 5 Live. "We would think of him as the best in the business."

I know it's really hard to pinpoint "how good is good." It's so complicated. What does "good" mean exactly? I don't know. I was looking at some videos of Salah diving, for example, and it kind of reminded me that we're still talking about a man, not some pitch-based demi-god. I wonder what others think about Mo ... is this a hype phase? Is the hype justified? Should there be more hype?

Edited by Marka Ragnos

he's wrong but he's not that far wrong, good has to be in the context of everyone else in the current period

i think its a bigger top tier now and salah would be in it along with about 10 others, its no longer them 2 in tier 1 and then everyone else

id take jorghino out as he's just had a good year but after that 1 to about 11 in the ballon dor rankings is about right IMO

you can make a sensible argument that he's currently better than messi and ronaldo...but then there's no such thing as sensible arguments in football and that will be misconstrued in to thinking that he's anywhere near what they were for the last decade+ and he's simply not, the comment about "closest player ive seen to messi" that article hints at suggesting that he's playing to a level close to what messi was and he just isnt

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

he's wrong but he's not that far wrong, good has to be in the context of everyone else in the current period

i think its a bigger top tier now and salah would be in it along with about 10 others, its no longer them 2 in tier 1 and then everyone else

id take jorghino out as he's just had a good year but after that 1 to about 11 in the ballon dor rankings is about right IMO

you can make a sensible argument that he's currently better than messi and ronaldo...but then there's no such thing as sensible arguments in football and that will be misconstrued in to thinking that he's anywhere near what they were for the last decade+ and he's simply not, the comment about "closest player ive seen to messi" that article hints at suggesting that he's playing to a level close to what messi was and he just isnt

Pretty sure Nevin said closest in style to Messi at the moment 

47 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Don't get me wrong: I couldn't admire Mo Salah's skills more. He's a joy to watch in action. But some of the recent praise of the Liverpool goal wizard winger has just felt really hyperbolic to me. This article is one example.

I know it's really hard to pinpoint "how good is good." It's so complicated. What does "good" mean exactly? I don't know. I was looking at some videos of Salah diving, for example, and it kind of reminded me that we're still talking about a man, not some pitch-based demi-god. I wonder what others think about Mo ... is this a hype phase? Is the hype justified? Should there be more hype?

Salah is the best player in the world right now. At the very least he's in the conversation.

He'd have to do a fair bit more to be up there with Ronaldo and Messi in terms of being the best ever. But I don't think Nevin is exaggerating much there

• Like 1

Separately to the discussion of VAR and how they got it wrong, the media's coverage of Maddison's dive. Even with such a blatant dive, nobody is willing to call a spade a space. He's a cheater. He dived to the floor and if anything, he fouled his opponent by throwing himself into him. While this is considered acceptable, cheeky, or clever, we have no chance in stamping it out. People need to grow some balls and call out cheaters when it's clear as day.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59536750

Though Newcastle will feel aggrieved over the penalty - awarded after Maddison darted into the box and connected with Lascelles' outstretched leg 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/dec/12/leicester-newcastle-premier-league-match-report

The penalty followed a clumsy attempt by Newcastle to play out from the back. Jonjo Shelvey – put into trouble by Jamaal Lascelles – took a heavy touch, with Tielemans pressing and nicking the ball towards Maddison, who was too quick for Lascelles. It felt soft in real time, Lascelles lunging in but quickly checking out of the challenge; Maddison looking for the contact, feeling it and going down. The impression was only confirmed by the replays.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10301675/Leicester-City-4-0-Newcastle-United-Brendan-Rodgers-winning-ways.html

Newcastle were unlucky with the opening goal as Jamaal Lascelles made only slight contact with James Maddison before referee Peter Bankes pointed to the spot

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Simon Jordan is on fire this week Grealish, Pep, Klopp and the idiotic Oldham chairman he has had a go at already 😂

I enjoy his rare no holds barred truth. He literally told Kell Brook he thinks Khan would win yesterday. live. Brook didn't like a bit of truth. They are always being told "your the Man".

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I enjoy his rare no holds barred truth. He literally told Kell Brook he thinks Khan would win yesterday. live. Brook didn't like a bit of truth. They are always being told "your the Man".

I think it helps he is not from the athletes bubble of agents, fellow athletes or lackeys. So he has no issues criticising

Forgot he had a go at Gabby too but he doesn't count 😂

40 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think it helps he is not from the athletes bubble of agents, fellow athletes or lackeys. So he has no issues criticising

Forgot he had a go at Gabby too but he doesn't count 😂

He was one of the few pundits last season who called out the ridiculous ott praise Bielsa was getting even when Leeds were getting hammered in games like against Man Utd.

Â