Media and punditry

BOF

1 hour ago, zab6359 said:

I know there are plenty of rubbish men commentators  at no point have I said all men comentators are good all women are crap. I'm not angry just pointing out I felt she was very poor and not a natural commentator and probably there for reasons other than ability.

Absolute shite, she’s there because she was a successful professional footballer and an England international and can talk - like most the other colour commentators.

Also, not sure what this has to do with Matt Targett.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Off topic, but most commentators are poor.

I was always of the opinion that a commentator should bring a bit of emotion into the game, rather than deep analysis of it. Analysis, looking at formations, movement, that's for experts to look into and for football geeks to think about. It's hard to do during the game, and very few people can do it. 

The game itself should be entertainment and it would be much easier to have passionate entertaining people commentate on the game and bring some emotion into it. Over the last few years YouTube showed there are hundreds of people who can do that who aren't called Michael Owen.

I always liked the commentary from USA and South America. Give me a GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL over Robbie Savage any day of the week. 

Give me a barb wire colonoscopy over Robbie Savage any day of the week

10 hours ago, a m ole said:

Absolute shite, she’s there because she was a successful professional footballer and an England international and can talk - like most the other colour commentators.

Also, not sure what this has to do with Matt Targett.

What the **** has colour got to do with anything, virtue signalling of the highest order 😂😂

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

What the **** has colour got to do with anything, virtue signalling of the highest order 😂😂

30 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The position she has is called a colour commentator 

Yep, "Color commentator" is the US English for what British English speakers normally call the co-commentator, expert commentator or in-game analyst.

Anyway, always entertaining to see that people who hold certain views are also highly ignorant about other things.

Back on topic, I thought it was quite a good touch from Targett. There was a miss by Alonso in the Chelsea Utd game in a similar situation on Sunday, which showed how well Targett did to bring that down and finish it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zab6359 said:

It's a color commentator as in American term and not even used in the UK so why use it?

Is ‘colour commentator’ a phrase in any other context I’m not aware of? Or was that all your weird inference?

3 hours ago, a m ole said:

Is ‘colour commentator’ a phrase in any other context I’m not aware of? Or was that all your weird inference?

The term is color commentator spelt in US English and used in American sports, hence a term people in the UK are not familiar with.

9 hours ago, zab6359 said:

The term is color commentator spelt in US English and used in American sports, hence a term people in the UK are not familiar with.

And yet it was spelt colour commentator by the OP, hence a lot of the ensuing confusion.

57 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

And yet it was spelt colour commentator by the OP, hence a lot of the ensuing confusion.

Where’s the confusion? Why the **** would anyone think ‘colour’ meant race there?

Would all be solved if we didn’t assume the default gender and race for commentator was ‘white male’ but fine, whatever. I don’t enjoy listening to Karen Carney either, but she’s got the job because she’s as qualified as the rest of them.

Now shut the **** up about it in the Matt Targett thread.

Edited by a m ole
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, a m ole said:

Where’s the confusion? Why the **** would anyone think ‘colour’ meant race there?

Would all be solved if we didn’t assume the default gender and race for commentator was ‘white male’ but fine, whatever. I don’t enjoy listening to Karen Carney either, but she’s got the job because she’s as qualified as the rest of them.

Now shut the **** up about it in the Matt Targett thread.

Agree with your last sentence.

This Amazon coverage.

* * * * ME!

Post game. Bored to death of them talking about city injuries, they went through the performance of EVERY city player, even they looked a bit awkward. In-game Townsend tried but I almost forgot we were playing for chunks of the game.

They edged the game.If we’d have drawn, it would not have felt undeserved. 

Should we expect more of this with the likes of Amazon/Dazn in the mix for coverage. Doubt they’re that incentivised to give clubs a balanced level of coverage.

Â