Media and punditry

BOF

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Pathetic really. He’s just a bloated troll, I wish the media would stop indulging him. His obsession with Leeds is just weird. 

Its not just him to be fair 

I thought gabby was OK when he started, did a little bit of talksport work, said some sensible stuff... Then he started winding up Leeds fans (or they started winding him up) and suddenly he got a lot more talksport work

They don't want sensible discussion from him, they want him to piss off other fans, to say something stupid, to row with Danny Mills (who's a proper idiot) 

Its the sad state of football media, talking bollocks pays the bills 

I listen to musa okwonga a bit, well spoken guy, talks a lot of sense, just released a book, he won't get a shot at talksport, hes not what their target audience want 

Unfortunately for those who like talksport... Their target audience is causal football fans with no tactical nous but a love of gossip and clichés... Its stupid radio done by stupid people for stupid people... Same with a whole host of UK trash radio and TV 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Its not just him to be fair 

I thought gabby was OK when he started, did a little bit of talksport work, said some sensible stuff... Then he started winding up Leeds fans (or they started winding him up) and suddenly he got a lot more talksport work

They don't want sensible discussion from him, they want him to piss off other fans, to say something stupid, to row with Danny Mills (who's a proper idiot) 

Its the sad state of football media, talking bollocks pays the bills 

I listen to musa okwonga a bit, well spoken guy, talks a lot of sense, just released a book, he won't get a shot at talksport, hes not what their target audience want 

Unfortunately for those who like talksport... Their target audience is causal football fans with no tactical nous but a love of gossip and clichés... Its stupid radio done by stupid people for stupid people... Same with a whole host of UK trash radio and TV 

Musa Okwonga does a great bit of writing - didn’t realise he did podcasts so gonna check that out too 

21 hours ago, rbcuk said:

Karen Carney on co commentary on sky for the palace brighton game, she’s bloody awful never heard someone state the bloody obvious so much, had to give up and switch over 

That's literally almost every co-commentator though, the biggest offender being the biggest one, Jim Beglin. It's almost like a requirement. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

That's literally almost every co-commentator though, the biggest offender being the biggest one, Jim Beglin. It's almost like a requirement. 

She couldn’t even get some of the players names right, I gave up at half time 

16 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Well, Gunners' supporter Jordan Jarrett-Bryan of Talksport and Guardian Football Weekly really seems to have thrown down the gauntlet this week in pretty unmistakable fashion. Any of you catch this?

Max Rushden: "I'm going to call it now, Jordan. Your [anti-]Villa pantomime is over now."
JJB: "It's never done, Max."
Rushden: "You can't keep it going now. You've got nothing to cling to."
Rushden goes on to praise Dean Smith and the club's development, but that doesn't slow down JJB's slagging us off.
JJB: "I'm just upset that these good times are happening to this group of supporters -- that's my only regret."
JJB then went on to trash Villa supporters as basically the worst in the Premier League if not the FA. There's never much of a basis for this given, which makes it all feel slightly absurdist.

Given the tongue-in-cheek, running-joke quality to the whole thing, I don't take it too seriously. I don't mind Jarrett-Bryan one bit. He's bringing us attention, and he does seem genuinely impressed with Villa --- just not us fans. At times, JJB's jIbes at Villa fans actually seem to flatter us a bit. Which seems better than indifference. I guess? 

I don't listen that often but any time I do he seems to be on it.

He's awful. His unashamed anti-villa agenda is very very strange

I don't know who you're talking about to be honest, but my personal creed is that I won't vote for a political party that hates me, and won't watch a film that doesn't respect my time or insults my intelligence, and I feel like not listening to a podcast hosted by a guy who hates me for no reason whatsoever seems like a logical extension of that. People are free to hate any football club they want, very much including us, but I'm not going to tune into something just to be called a dickhead. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Well, Gunners' supporter Jordan Jarrett-Bryan of Talksport and Guardian Football Weekly really seems to have thrown down the gauntlet this week in pretty unmistakable fashion. Any of you catch this?

Max Rushden: "I'm going to call it now, Jordan. Your [anti-]Villa pantomime is over now."
JJB: "It's never done, Max."
Rushden: "You can't keep it going now. You've got nothing to cling to."
Rushden goes on to praise Dean Smith and the club's development, but that doesn't slow down JJB's slagging us off.
JJB: "I'm just upset that these good times are happening to this group of supporters -- that's my only regret."
JJB then went on to trash Villa supporters as basically the worst in the Premier League if not the FA. There's never much of a basis for this given, which makes it all feel slightly absurdist.

Given the tongue-in-cheek, running-joke quality to the whole thing, I don't take it too seriously. I don't mind Jarrett-Bryan one bit. He's bringing us attention, and he does seem genuinely impressed with Villa --- just not us fans. At times, JJB's jIbes at Villa fans actually seem to flatter us a bit. Which seems better than indifference. I guess? 

I've been listening to Football Weekly since about 2008, it's still my favourite bit of football media.  The JJB thing is a bit of meme which started last year when JJB was caught in an obvious lie about Dean Smith (I forget the details but he clearly hadn't watched the game that week) and was ripped to shreds for it on the show and in the comments.  A couple of weeks later Villa humped Arsenal 3-0 at  The Emirates and he got loads more from the panel and the comments and it's just spiralled from there.  Max basically won't let it die now and JJB initially seemed more than happy to play along for a while but it seems even he is getting bored of it.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't know who you're talking about to be honest, but my personal creed is that I won't vote for a political party that hates me, and won't watch a film that doesn't respect my time or insults my intelligence, and I feel like not listening to a podcast hosted by a guy who hates me for no reason whatsoever seems like a logical extension of that. People are free to hate any football club they want, very much including us, but I'm not going to tune into something just to be called a dickhead. 

It's not hosted by him. It's hosted by Max Rushden who I like but isn't everyone's cup of tea. Each show they have (usually) 3 guests on who are usually great. Jonathan Wilson, Sid Lowe, Barry Glendenning, Nicky Bandini etc

The Jordan chap isn't a particularly regular guest, so it's not like listeners are hearing him every week.

I don't listen that regularly but I like to tune in after a significant Villa result to hear what they think about it because most of the people on there have opinions I very much respect, but it always seems to be this Jordan guy who openly hates Villa that they get on post Villa games. it's probably a coincidence but it's a bit irritating when you're hoping to hear an unbiased opinion.

So anyway, it's not like people are listening to a podcast that is always hosted by someone who hates us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's not hosted by him. It's hosted by Max Rushden who I like but isn't everyone's cup of tea. Each show they have (usually) 3 guests on who are usually great. Jonathan Wilson, Sid Lowe, Barry Glendenning, Nicky Bandini etc

The Jordan chap isn't a particularly regular guest, so it's not like listeners are hearing him every week.

I don't listen that regularly but I like to tune in after a significant Villa result to hear what they think about it because most of the people on there have opinions I very much respect, but it always seems to be this Jordan guy who openly hates Villa that they get on post Villa games. it's probably a coincidence but it's a bit irritating when you're hoping to hear an unbiased opinion.

So anyway, it's not like people are listening to a podcast that is always hosted by someone who hates us.

Oh okay, it's the thing that James Richardson used to host? To be honest I don't like Barry Glendenning either, think he was the reason I stopped in the first place. 

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Oh okay, it's the thing that James Richardson used to host? To be honest I don't like Barry Glendenning either, think he was the reason I stopped in the first place. 

Yep it's that podcast. Rushden used to stand in when Richardson was off and got the full time gig when Richardson defected.

And you're right, Glendenning can be quite shit at times. he's a little bit talksport mixed with Roy keane in his deliberately miserable opinions designed to be different, but when he's good he can be very good so I let him off

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

I've been listening to Football Weekly since about 2008, it's still my favourite bit of football media.  The JJB thing is a bit of meme which started last year when JJB was caught in an obvious lie about Dean Smith (I forget the details but he clearly hadn't watched the game that week) and was ripped to shreds for it on the show and in the comments.  A couple of weeks later Villa humped Arsenal 3-0 at  The Emirates and he got loads more from the panel and the comments and it's just spiralled from there.  Max basically won't let it die now and JJB initially seemed more than happy to play along for a while but it seems even he is getting bored of it.  

I think it all started with him saying he didn't rate Smith. Then Villa have a magnificent run of form and he slightly tongue in cheek doubles down. Eventually he can no longer keep it up and has to praise Villa. But in the meantime he has been getting dogs abuse from Villa fans on social media, hence his issue with the fans.

At this stage it's the fans only he has an issue with, not Villa as a club or team.

• Like 2

It seems to be a lot about JJB's personality too.   He seems like a decent enough guy, but he's from the MUST HAVE REACTIONS AND HOT TAKES school of thought when it comes to covering the football which is clearly how you get noticed on social media, and it's probably the way coverage is going to head further now that people who grew on that are late 20s/early 30s and getting into positions where they can shape more mainstream media. 

• Like 2

Dirk Kuyt following a line of shitty ex Liverpool player pundits declaring the Champions League is not for champions like Sheriff

Called out by the Sheriff manager after

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd far rather see Sheriff in the Champions League than the 4th place finisher in the Premier League or La Liga

Quoted just in case we finish 4th this season. 😅

• Haha 2

Â