Media and punditry

BOF

On 1/14/2018 at 14:34, a m ole said:

these totally unnecessary swoosh noises when they reveal the sky logo, then the score, then the full lineups at the restart - who thought that was a good idea?

They used to play a high chirping sound anytime a graphic changed on setanta back in the day, drove me nuts. 

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I haven't had to watch a match that Lawro was commentating on for a long time (thankfully.)

He's on City vs Cardiff today. Good lord his whining moaning voice is insufferable.

Even worse, Lescott is a pundit.

3 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I haven't had to watch a match that Lawro was commentating on for a long time (thankfully.)

He's on City vs Cardiff today. Good lord his whining moaning voice is insufferable.

He’s the worst co commentator there is. 

I would genuinely turn off a match he’s commentating on. 

3 hours ago, kwoktolai said:

He just sitting on that chair like a proper word removed. Wouldn't call him a pundit, he said nothing

Yep. He looked very much out of place sitting there most of the show with a 'I am out my depth here expression on his face'.

One of the biggest frauds of british football. rocket polisher.

The resuscitation of Lescott is one of the worst events in English punditry. He's thick, provides no worthwhile insight, and demonstrated a complete lack of professionalism at his last two clubs. To be rewarded with punditing gigs is just gross. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Viasat, the channel who holds the PL and Champions League rights in Sweden has just hired Freddy Ljungberg as a new expert :puke:

He has the personality of a overcooked asparagus and a tone of voice that is painful to hear.

Hopefully he's evolved in the last few years.

They already have ex Man U trainee Bojan Djordjic  (who once famously scored a goal in a friendly against Celtic) in the studio and he's god awful. But a bit better than he used to be.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, sne said:

Viasat, the channel who holds the PL and Champions League rights in Sweden has just hired Freddy Ljungberg as a new expert :puke:

He has the personality of a overcooked asparagus and a tone of voice that is painful to hear.

Hopefully he's evolved in the last few years.

They already have ex Man U trainee Bojan Djordjic  (who once famously scored a goal in a friendly against Celtic) in the studio and he's god awful. But a bit better than he used to be.

He'd get really good on one of the old Championship Managers, looks like he had a fairly nondescript career.

Ray has been quiet for a while

Ray Wilkins predicts where Sevilla would finish in the Premier League

Manchester City and Liverpool are already awaiting the draw for the quarter-final of the competition having won their away legs 4-0 and 5-0 respectively.

Meanwhile, Spurs earned a brilliant 2-2 away to Juventus, while Chelsea held Barcelona to a 1-1 draw at Stamford Bridge.

Your move, United.

They take on a Sevilla side that drew twice to Liverpool in the group stages - coming from behind to draw 2-2 and 3-3 - and currently sit fifth in La Liga. And having won the Europa League in three consecutive seasons before Jose Mourinho’s side triumphed last season, they have a rather incredible record in European competitions.

But how would they fare in the Premier League?

Would they challenge for the league title? Would they challenge for a top-four spot? Or would they be pretty rubbish?

Well, that question was put to Sky Sports pundit Ray Wilkins on Wednesday afternoon - and it’s fair to say he doesn’t particularly rate them.

WILKINS PREDICT WHERE SEVILLA WOULD FINISH

The former Chelsea and Man United player was speaking on talkSPORT and suggested that Sevilla would be relegation fodder.

“I think it’s tricky but I don’t think it’s anything that should really stand in the way is it?” Wilkins said about United’s tie against Sevilla.

“You know, where would Sevilla be in the Premier League? Bottom six, probably.”

Really, Ray?

How can they win the Europa League three years in-a-row and yet only be good enough for a bottom-six finish in the Premier League?

http://www.givemesport.com/1261584-ray-wilkins-predicts-where-sevilla-would-finish-in-the-premier-league 

On 2/21/2018 at 07:00, Dr_Pangloss said:

He'd get really good on one of the old Championship Managers, looks like he had a fairly nondescript career.

I was listening to the 90s football podcast "Quickly Kevin, Will He Score" yesterday and they had an episode about Championship Manager. Apparently Danny Webber & Bojan Djordjic used to ring the developers up and complain about their stats in comparison to each other :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah, but he's never heard of anyone of 'em has he?

Just a load of forrins. 

...and herein lies the fundamental problem with British pundits, none of them actually know much about football, since they've played it largely at a high level they do not believe they have to do any research at all whatsoever. They simply have to show up, sit back, reel out platitudes and personal biases and get paid handsomely for it. 

I've long been a believer that journalists should be pundits, someone like Tim Vickery knows infinitely more than Ray Wilkins. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â