Media and punditry

BOF

25 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i dont mind that personally, as someone who tries to edit the FM database its usually the other way round, really hard to find the european transfers

Well it pisses me off no end. 

They don't even have to get rid of the European transfers, just include those from English league clubs. It's just yet another manifestation of the whole 'English football = the Premier League' shit. 

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

More media shite - the Guardian's 'transfer window interactive' covers 'every deal in Europe's top five leagues', so UK readers can learn that Rober Ibanez has gone from Getafe to Osasuna on loan, but can't learn about a transfer between, say, Villa and Sheffield Wednesday :rolleyes:

while on transfer window the coverage from the media is awful. Sky have a 30 minute show dedicated to the days transfers. Think has been 1 transfer so far :lol:

They even had a countdown timer from before the window even opened

Alex Scott was actually quite good today during the Leicester game, rarely watch BBC so not sure if she a regular but her half time analysis was very good and actually telling the viewers what was going on unlike a bunch of cliches from other pundits

22 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Alex Scott was actually quite good today during the Leicester game, rarely watch BBC so not sure if she a regular but her half time analysis was very good and actually telling the viewers what was going on unlike a bunch of cliches from other pundits

Agreed.

On 05/01/2018 at 10:57, VillaJ100 said:

Sky really do come out with some absolute cringe sometimes. It seems that the Jan window isn't as big as it was 7-10ish years ago. Also remember 'Grand Slam Sunday'? 

The idea of a 24/7 sports 'news' channel is frankly ridiculous in itself. It's the transfer windows where it totally jumps the shark, including 'breaking news', 'sky sources' and the **** timer in the corner. I still maintain that the worst thing to ever happen to British television was the Sky/ BSB merger.

Michael Gray is a funny one for me. Whenever i hear him on any other programme on TS without Adrian Durham he comes across brilliantly. He seems knowledgeable, reasoned and comfortable enough to speak his mind. Yet whenever he is on with Durham he seems to turn into a nodding dog simply agreeing with almost everything Durham says. 

I know Adrian Durham holds a powerful position at TS having been there from the outset, but the change in Gray is embarrassing.

Danny Murphy's take on Nabby Keita

"I’m not sure (on Keita), from what I’ve seen.

Subconsciously you can look like you’ve downed tools when you’re protecting yourself a little bit, I wouldn’t judge him on that. I don’t know him well enough to say that.

What I would say is he’s obviously very athletic, got a lot of qualities – a bit like Jordan Henderson has. Professional, good athlete, does his job really, really well.

But he isn’t creative enough if you want to challenge for the title and the Champions League. Someone like Gerrard, Souness, Alonso, Mascherano – these type of players."

Someone creative like Souness or Macherano?!

I'm going to hazard a guess Murphy has never seen Keita play, or Souness or Mascherano apparently.

On 09/01/2018 at 16:02, sne said:

Danny Murphy's take on Nabby Keita

"I’m not sure (on Keita), from what I’ve seen.

Subconsciously you can look like you’ve downed tools when you’re protecting yourself a little bit, I wouldn’t judge him on that. I don’t know him well enough to say that.

What I would say is he’s obviously very athletic, got a lot of qualities – a bit like Jordan Henderson has. Professional, good athlete, does his job really, really well.

But he isn’t creative enough if you want to challenge for the title and the Champions League. Someone like Gerrard, Souness, Alonso, Mascherano – these type of players."

Someone creative like Souness or Macherano?!

I'm going to hazard a guess Murphy has never seen Keita play, or Souness or Mascherano apparently.

I'll start with the caveat that I've never seen Keita play, but Kante doesn't create, nor does Matic or Carrick, i could go on. The point is they are not meant to, its not their job. And from what I've read about Keita, its not his either. 

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

I really respect Guillem Balague as he has tricked many people into thinking he has contacts in the game

Ultimate chancer

He put sergio ramos in his ultimate la lega team ever on skysports a few weeks ago. Baffoon of the highest order

We don't often get excellent 0-0 draws but Chelsea versus Leicester was certainly one of them. This was a Premier League fixture played like an FA Cup tie from start to finish. Harry Maguire was immense throughout the match at the back for Leicester and he had Alvaro Morata in one pocket and Eden Hazard in the other.

In the post-match news conference interest once again centred on the war of words between Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho and Chelsea boss Antonio Conte. Although no names were mentioned, Mourinho's earlier veiled remark about 'contempt', which seemed to be pointed in Conte's direction, clearly grated with the Italian. However the Chelsea manager did well to ignore the questions posed by journalists. He has spent far too much time responding to Mourinho and his mind games. It is becoming clearer by the day that Mourinho is doing this deliberately.

The former Chelsea boss has been irritatingly astute at taking the attention away from the fact that his team have failed to lay a glove on Manchester City and he is using Conte as the diversion. Every time Conte bites back it diminishes the former Itay international who, having played the game at the highest level, respects its customs and traditions. Mourinho on the other hand shows no respect to either of those conventions because he is a mere beneficiary of the game and gives nothing back in return.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42684400

Garth Crook's on Harry Maguire's performance this weekend.

Cheers.

Â