Media and punditry

BOF

This obviously isn't particularly important, and I'm letting this bother me way too much, but this line on F365 really pissed me off:

'As for Ederson, one can only hope that his recovery is as quick as his reaction times . . . The key point is obviously the keeper’s health, but this was perhaps his best performance for City yet, even if it was cut disappointingly short . . . 

His bravery and anticipation in challenging Mane for the ball should also not be overlooked. “I take risks but I’m aware of the situations,” Manuel Neuer, Guardiola’s keeper at Bayern Munich, once said in December 2014.

“I always try to make the right decision when I’m in a dangerous position,” he added, in a line that sums up Ederson’s game perfectly. City’s high defensive line requires a keeper to think quickly to thwart any and every counter-attack, and the 24-year-old carried out his job to the letter.'

'Trying to make the right decision' isn't the hallmark of excellence, it's a baseline for sanity. It's like giving someone credit for taking their shoes off before getting in the bath, or remembering to exchange oxygen for carbon dioxide when opening their mouths. Even Peter Enckleman *tried* to make the right decision in dangerous positions. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was actually impressed with Emile Heskey's punditry on the Leicester - Liverpool cup game. He was telling it how it is, slated Oxlade-Chamberlain's performance, no sugar coating at all, and had some pretty decent insights.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I was actually impressed with Emile Heskey's punditry on the Leicester - Liverpool cup game. He was telling it how it is, slated Oxlade-Chamberlain's performance, no sugar coating at all, and had some pretty decent insights.

So he wont be hired again for not following the Liverpool agenda

• Like 3

Just had a quick look at the football stories on the sky sports website and there is yet another story with the headline 'Kane again proving world class status'.

I won't bother linking the story because its no different from every other Kane story over the last 12 months or so, and thats my point really. Why do the media have this bloody obsession with labelling him world class whilst constantly talking about the possibility of the ballon d'or whilst playing for spurs. 

The kid is an absolutely wonderful player but the obsession is typical of the media, the same media who will be on his case the minute he goes through a bad spell. 

And It would piss me off if i were a spurs fan reading how he needs to leave spurs in order to win the ballon d'or. 

Edited by av1

4 hours ago, av1 said:

Just had a quick look at the football stories on the sky sports website and there is yet another story with the headline 'Kane again proving world class status'.

5 live on the way home last night were giving him the bumming of a lifetime. He has already been anointed as one of the greatest ever players to play the game. :bang:

5 hours ago, av1 said:

I won't bother linking the story because its no different from every other Kane story over the last 12 months or so, and thats my point really. Why do the media have this bloody obsession with labelling him world class whilst constantly talking about the possibility of the ballon d'or whilst playing for spurs. 

The kid is an absolutely wonderful player but the obsession is typical of the media, the same media who will be on his case the minute he goes through a bad spell. 

And It would piss me off if i were a spurs fan reading how he needs to leave spurs in order to win the ballon d'or. 

Yes and he has done absolutely nothing to warrant winning the ballon d'or as well.

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Yes and he has done absolutely nothing to warrant winning the ballon d'or as well.

I agree that at this stage he is quite some distance away from consideration. What i don't like is this constant undertone that he could come into consideration if he left spurs. 

The notion you have to be playing for Madrid or Barca pisses me off. If the kid ever does get to the stage where people consider him to be the worlds best, the colour of his Jersey should be irrelevant. 

7 hours ago, av1 said:

I agree that at this stage he is quite some distance away from consideration. What i don't like is this constant undertone that he could come into consideration if he left spurs. 

The notion you have to be playing for Madrid or Barca pisses me off. If the kid ever does get to the stage where people consider him to be the worlds best, the colour of his Jersey should be irrelevant. 

If you believe Neymar it's the reason he moved to psg, if Spurs win the prem and the CL and he scores 50 goals he'll probably win it, decent World Cup and he'll definitely win it

move to Madrid or Barca score 50 goals and still be the 3rd best player in that team and he'll never win it

theyre desperate to sell more players to Madrid and Barca, it's the go to reference, probably because a fair few English fans won't consider a move to say juve or Bayern as the peak, it'll be seen as sideways or backwards

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2017 at 16:05, Keyblade said:

I'm watching the Championship highlights on Channel 5 and I'm pretty sure that's old Jack Woodward's voice I hear narrating some of the quick highlights.

I follow him on LinkedIn and it is indeed him!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

picked up a red top this morning that was lying around

real madrid are going to offer spurs modric, bale and benzema in exchange for harry kane

**** me how do they get away with it

This was 'reported' in BBC's rumours section as well, quite possibly the most idiotic transfer rumour that I've ever heard in my entire life.

Â