Media and punditry

BOF

Just googled ljunberg and wiki says hes 40 years old, looking at he's clubs since arsenal it seems he retired when he left West ham in 2008 when he was 30, going on to play in India and Scotland

2 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

Just googled ljunberg and wiki says hes 40 years old, looking at he's clubs since arsenal it seems he retired when he left West ham in 2008 when he was 30, going on to play in India and Scotland

He's since worked at the Arsenal academy and had a short stint as assistant manager at Bundesliga club Wolfsburg.

13 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

He retired when he left Arsenal. The past 2 years he was crippled with injuries and everyone knew he was finished and Arsenal were desperate to get shot. Then West ham paid millions for reason and put him on about 70k a week.

They also signed Kieron Dyer. Truly they were the banter years.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Gary Neville's unrelenting criticism of Arsenal today was funny, albeit deserved. I think he was just pissed off that a title was handed to City without a fight.

Yet he was praising arsene Wenger last season saying he has done a great job. The arsenal players were walking around the pitch because their manager let's them get away with it. There's no proper leadership there, it's a holiday camp. 

2 hours ago, turvontour said:

Is Mark Lawrenson just anti-football?

He sounds like somebody who was against it from the start but because its his job to commentate on it, he has to semi entertain it.

He just seems like a bitter, miserable man all round. I can't believe he's been happy at any point in the last two decades. 

Lawro is my least favourite commentator.

I'll concede that he's occasionally ok as a pundit. But as a commentator he is utterly dreadful.

He spends the whole game taking the piss out of the game and just being a dour, miserable word removed. He never gives any actual commentary. Just tries to be funny with his shitty little quips about **** all.

It can genuinely be the difference between me watching and not watching a game these days on BBC. Certainly if we get to the world cup and I have to choose between BBC and ITV, I'll 100% choose ITV if Lawro is commentating on BBC.

• Like 3

On 23/02/2018 at 11:25, Zatman said:

I think Shearer is not too bad except his voice. He was awful at the start but he haa grown into it though i havent seen MOTD since we went down

Jamie Redknapp, Danny Murphy and Thierry Henry on the other hand offer nothing

Murphy's voice is even worse than Shearer's. O.K pundit though.

On Redknapp he amused me today. Slaughtered Chelsea's tactics and said the Arsenal invincibles or Man. United under Fergie would never approach a game like that.

Think he's forgetting Man. United playing for a draw and losing 1-0 to City in April 2012.....

On 23/02/2018 at 10:44, bobzy said:

Do they, though? I mean, if I spoke to my mates, they wouldn’t care about either Shearer or Wilson, but they’d acknowledge that Wilson knows more about the wider game and would provide better analysis. Do people pick to watch MOTD because Shearer and Murphy are on it? I’m not convinced. I think they’d watch it anyway and would rather have more knowledgeable pundits if given the option.

Agreed on Wright by the way. He sort of ticks the entertainment box too.

I think it's more MOTD is the obvious gold star football programme on the TV so they need legends of the game to enhance it more (in the producers mind anyway). It's the same with Sky anyway, remember all the fuss they made when they signed Henry as pundit.

MOTD2 on the Sunday lunchtime is a better watch in terms of analysis when I remember it's on as they do have journalists on (and Stephen Warnock).

Another problem with getting journos on the main MOTD is let's not forget most of them are actually working on a Saturday afternoon at games.

Even if people don't rate the pundits MOTD have they do come in early and watch all the 3pm games on a screen and make obsevations to the producers of key moments in games you then see later in the show.

17 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

The radio 5 live game tonight is PSG vs Real Madrid.

I genuinely don't get it. (not radio5 just why?)

couple of weeks ago for the first leg Irish TV showed Porto vs Liverpool instead of this game. Was farcical

So far in this villa wolves game the 2 commentators have pronounced diogo Jota as

Hota, Zota, yota, jyota and Jota.

Stop trying to sound Spanish and pronounce it as it's spelt ffs 

11 minutes ago, Mantis said:

What's the prick done now?

Villa fan on 606, wanting to talk about Grealish possibly making the World Cup squad.

Savage - “He’s got four assists and 1 goal in the championship”

Caller - “But if you’ve seen him pl....”

“Four assists and one goal”

“I don’t think we have anyone else who can drop their shou....”

“FOUR ASSISTS AND ONE GOAL!!!”

Rinse and repeat about 6 times.

If Savage doesn’t agree, absolutely fine. But repeating (and shouting) the same statistic as an argument half a dozen times is pathetic.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

Â