Media and punditry

BOF

6 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Villa fan on 606, wanting to talk about Grealish possibly making the World Cup squad.

Savage - “He’s got four assists and 1 goal in the championship”

Caller - “But if you’ve seen him pl....”

“Four assists and one goal”

“I don’t think we have anyone else who can drop their shou....”

“FOUR ASSISTS AND ONE GOAL!!!”

Rinse and repeat about 6 times.

If Savage doesn’t agree, absolutely fine. But repeating (and shouting) the same statistic as an argument half a dozen times is pathetic.

Pathetic. But then again, he's only got that gig because he winds people up. Definitely not the thinking man's pundit. Shit player too.

3 hours ago, Mantis said:

Pathetic. But then again, he's only got that gig because he winds people up. Definitely not the thinking man's pundit. Shit player too.

Him and Sutton are so obnoxious that it makes sense that they have an act together

Probably hasn't even seen Grealish play this season.

Pundits like that are the type who will be telling us the likes of Dele Ali are world class and Rooney is still good enough in the build up to the World Cup

6 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

So far in this villa wolves game the 2 commentators have pronounced diogo Jota as

Hota, Zota, yota, jyota and Jota.

Stop trying to sound Spanish and pronounce it as it's spelt ffs 

It’s funny cos he’s Portuguese so the last two are the closest. I don’t know how people paid to know the game inside out and talk about it can’t grasp simple things like that. Should be a sackable offence :D

9 hours ago, andym said:

Pundits like that are the type who will be telling us the likes of Dele Ali are world class and Rooney is still good enough in the build up to the World Cup

Dont forget Joe Hart can be No.1 in World Cup ;)

9 hours ago, andym said:

Alli is starting to look like a busted flush to be honest. Enormous drop off in level compared to the last two seasons. He's not going to become the player people thought.

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

He's been pretty good so far, he tends to 'cut through' the platitudes in order to give real insight, unlike most of the others.

Agreed, that's why I like him. They only have about thirty seconds each to comment on a game, which is hardly anything really, so if a pundit can say one insightful thing and avoid parroting cliches then I consider it a job well done, and Lampard did that all the way through last night. 

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Motty doing his final live match comms on 5 live.

Should've retired years ago, struggling to keep up with play and is rambling on about stats while Arsenal nearly scored another.

I agree, but that said, there hasn't been a single good commentator to emerge in the past two decades. At one point you had a prime Motty, a brilliant Barry Davies and Brian Moore who not only had a terrific voice but an incredible ability to vocalise the drama of a football match. Even Tony Gubba was good and a very old Ken Wolstenholme capable. BBC's lineup is pretty damn poor these days, on ITV you have Clive Tyldesley who I have never really liked (Peter Drury is good if he's still knocking around) and Sky are pretty shit as well, Tyler always been overrated and past his best, Alan Parry is the best they have and he's pretty ancient as well.

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I agree, but that said, there hasn't been a single good commentator to emerge in the past two decades. At one point you had a prime Motty, a brilliant Barry Davies and Brian Moore who not only had a terrific voice but an incredible ability to vocalise the drama of a football match. Even Tony Gubba was good and a very old Ken Wolstenholme capable. BBC's lineup is pretty damn poor these days, on ITV you have Clive Tyldesley who I have never really liked (Peter Drury is good if he's still knocking around) and Sky are pretty shit as well, Tyler always been overrated and past his best, Alan Parry is the best they have and he's pretty ancient as well.

Tyler did the last proper memorable bit of commentary with 'AGUEROOOO' though lol. Not many of those these days 

20 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Tyler did the last proper memorable bit of commentary with 'AGUEROOOO' though lol. Not many of those these days 

Sounded like he was cumming in his pants. He probably was. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Never liked Alan Parry. Always seemed to do Monday night games we'd lose.

My favourite is Jon Champion. Don't think he does live games anymore as he was at Setanta and then ESPN when they had prem coverage.

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Never liked Alan Parry. Always seemed to do Monday night games we'd lose.

But was it not Parry who gave us the sublime....

“The man dubbed John Wayne by his manager - gets off his horse, ties it up to the post, pulls out the gun, gets his finger on the trigger....and fires the bullet right down the middle.”

Â