Ashley Westwood

Nabby

53 minutes ago, useless said:

Westwood is one of those players who's as good as the players around him. Put him the Arsenal team and I think he'd do alright (caution, I know some might disagree). But put him a poor team and he doesn't have the ability to lift those around him, to an higher standard. 

I agree, I wouldn't be at all surprised if another PL club comes in for him at the end of the season. Sure, it probably won't be a fashionable club, but he would probably perform well in a functioning team, and then people could moan about how he never played like that for us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

I'm not saying they should sign, they can easily attract and afford better players. I was just trying to say that I think he's one these players who's as good as those around. For example I think if you put someone like Carrick in our team, he'd look pretty poor too. 

Not so. If Westwood was any good, he would stand out in our team.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

He is going to be 26 this year and is not a promising youngster anymore. He is a bog average lower league midfielder on a fat contract at Villa.

Lucky for him at Aston Villa you are considered a promising young talent into your early 30's

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

He is going to be 26 this year and is not a promising youngster anymore. He is a bog average lower league midfielder on a fat contract at Villa.

He's not on a fat contract.

I've never thought he's been as bad as made out in previous seasons, he's had good games and spells of good form.

However this season he looks every inch the lower league midfielder who can't believe his luck he's a premier league player.

The reason? IMO in previous seasons the likes of D*lph and Cleverley being around him have lifted his game. It's the same with Benteke. Good players lift the standards of other players in the team so they look better than they actually are.

Suddenly with no Benteke to get on the end of his crosses, Bacuna goes back to being a mediocre player and without D*lph's energy, Westwood goes back to being a bog standard midfielder who can sometimes pass well but does little else.

When these players suddenly are asking to do things in games themselves they're just not capable.

On 09/01/2016 at 14:26, R.Bear said:

I maintain Westwood is the worst Villa player in our history with 50 or more appearances.

Been out of this thread for a few days. Only just seen this.

Needless to say, it's total shite.

9 hours ago, New_Jersey_Villa said:

Westwood's biggest problem is that a wet brown paper bag is likely to win more challenges over the course of 90 minutes than he is.

yep he got called a bottler a few times by Savage in commentary the other day. another commentator even said he bottled it for the penalty

Can't see many managers looking at their teams and coming to the conclusion that what they need is someone you don't notice for 90 minutes but who can once or maybe twice a game pick out a pretty nice pass.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

yep he got called a bottler a few times by Savage in commentary the other day. another commentator even said he bottled it for the penalty

The only bottling he did for the penalty was not giving away a foul.

But then the ref got the decision wrong.