Ashley Westwood

Nabby

9 hours ago, av1 said:

I thought he had a decent game tonight, but again there are a few criticisms regarding his tackling and pass selection. 

Tackling

Iook i know there is much more to the game these days than flying into tackles, but again tonight he seemed to physically pull out of a couple of challenges. I don't expect Billy Bremner but I'd like to see a bit more steel. 

Pass Selection

Admittedly better in the last couple of games, but some lovely balls in those games just make the short sideways passing more annoying. A good few times tonight a forward pass was on and he played it to safe. 

I know this may sound like an incredibly harsh post, (especially as he was decent enough tonight) but a lot of frustration is down to the fact we know he has a bit about him,  I just think with a little bit more bravery, he could offer us a lot more. And I worry that without it, things won't get any easier for him in the Championship. 

The word you're looking for is confidence and he has suffered this season like most of our players but he always gives it everything when he plays and will only benefit from having better players in around him because we know he can pick a pass. I thought he was great first half and not as good second half but he still never stopped running and giving other players options and nearly put Kozak in twice with nice through balls but unfortunately Libor was offside.  I thought the midfield was great last night, Gana had a solid game through out and Westwood was great first half and solid second half while Veretout stepped up second half after a quiet first half.  I want to see them line up like that in future.

• Like 1

I don't think Westwood is very good but I'm amazed that people are still giving him stick for last night's performance. I thought he was excellent along with the other 2 in midfield.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Nobody has ever claimed Westwood is amazing.

Erm, yes they have. 

10 hours ago, Keyblade said:

The lad has character.

That is well and truly up for debate. One decent performance in a good all round team performance does not out weigh four seasons of him shying away from taking any form of responsibility, in which he displayed zero character 99% of the time.

12 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Erm, yes they have. 

I'd be very surprised if you can prove that. And if anyone did ever call him amazing I'd wager it hasn't been for at least two seasons.

More hyperbole from those determined to shit all over this guy.

He's not been good enough this season, but the abuse he gets on here continues to be utterly incredible.

Edited by Stevo985

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd be very surprised if you can prove that. 

Well I'm not going to sift through page after page looking for the word 'amazing' but I can guarantee that there are similar accolades that could be interpreted the same way. I would bet the use of the word amazing wouldn't be too far away from the calls saying he is way to good for us and will be playing for man utd soon etc.

Ironically, sandwiched between such crazy statements are posts from one or two ppl highlighting that he's largely ineffective. Some people have been seeing these lacklustre performances since day 1. Not just this season. 

Just now, Woodytom said:

Well I'm not going to sift through page after page looking for the word 'amazing' but I can guarantee that there are similar accolades that could be interpreted the same way. I would bet the use of the word amazing wouldn't be too far away from the calls saying he is way to good for us and will be playing for man utd soon etc.

So, like I said, nobody has ever called him amazing?

I think some people are so busy looking for him to do amazing stuff that they miss the good stuff that he actually does. I'm reminded of the famous invisible Gorilla experiment, where participants are so busy county passes that they miss the the obvious.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BOF said:

There's a search facility.

I've done it on his behalf.

A couple of people said he had an amazing game a couple of times.

Nobody has ever said he was an amazing player.

In fact, quite a lot of uses of the word "amazing" was Woodytom moaning that people thought Westwood was amazing.

Funny that.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 4

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

He's always been a decent player, but has been very poor in most of his appearances this season, however last night he was pretty good, that's undeniable IMO.

I deny that. Thought Veretout and Gana looked pretty good. Westwood was pretty anonymous, as usual. Guess we all see it differently.

• Like 1

He did a job last night, good on him.

Still feel we need an upgrade on him for the midfield to be more effective, regardless if we are relegated or not.

OK squad player.

For those search aficionados on here I'm sure I read "future England captain" in this thread once :D

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I've done it on his behalf.

A couple of people said he had an amazing game a couple of times.

Nobody has ever said he was an amazing player.

In fact, quite a lot of uses of the word "amazing" was Woodytom moaning that people thought Westwood was amazing.

Funny that.

That last part actually made me chuckle.