Ashley Westwood

Nabby

He was in a better team...compared to Wycombe and he still failed to impose himself, dictate play or carve anything out.

We would have been better off sticking to any number of central midfielders that have come through the academy the past 5 years.

Ashley Westwood has played well in excess of a 100 games for us. I remember one through ball against Norwich and a goal against United.**** hell.

• Like 1

His best performance for a long time. Looked faster, stronger, more aggressive. Sprinting 70 yards to press and gain territory in the last 10 minutes, no lack of effort tonight. This needs to be the start of something.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jimbop said:

His best performance for a long time. Looked faster, stronger, more aggressive. Sprinting 70 yards to press and gain territory in the last 10 minutes, no lack of effort tonight. This needs to be the start of something.

Agreed. I made a pretty nasty comment about him yesterday not being able to tackle. Proved me wrong today, really put himself about. Had a good game today.

10 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

He looked good tonight - I just want to see a little bit more from him going forward. Hopefully with Kozak's movement and Westwood's eye for a pass he might get some assists...

He very nearly got a lovely one tonight to Kozak.

49 minutes ago, meregreen said:

I thought he was a real weak link, Veretout and Gana outshone him completely. If we strengthen midfield he should be the one replaced.Simply not Premiership quality.

Completly agree with you though he was mediocre,couple silly passes and fouls but did what he had to do,deffo not a Premiership player though.

• Like 1

What a way to bounce back from such a bad performance. The lad has character. Amazing how much difference some movement in front of him can make. Easy to be more comfortable when you don't have Sinclair and Gestede in front of you.

I thought he had a decent game tonight, but again there are a few criticisms regarding his tackling and pass selection. 

Tackling

Iook i know there is much more to the game these days than flying into tackles, but again tonight he seemed to physically pull out of a couple of challenges. I don't expect Billy Bremner but I'd like to see a bit more steel. 

Pass Selection

Admittedly better in the last couple of games, but some lovely balls in those games just make the short sideways passing more annoying. A good few times tonight a forward pass was on and he played it to safe. 

I know this may sound like an incredibly harsh post, (especially as he was decent enough tonight) but a lot of frustration is down to the fact we know he has a bit about him,  I just think with a little bit more bravery, he could offer us a lot more. And I worry that without it, things won't get any easier for him in the Championship. 

Edited by av1

8 hours ago, Villanun said:

No no no, that's not how it works. You either think he's amazing or "total shite." There can be no grey areas in the Ashley Westwood thread.

Nobody has ever claimed Westwood is amazing.