Ashley Westwood

Nabby

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

football is all about opinions, because somebody thinks Westwood is worst player in Villa history with 50 games doesnt mean its not true

Yep, but that doesn't mean it isn't an OTT opinion.

I mean, it is. I don't see how anyone can stand there and think otherwise. Singling out a player as one of the worst in our history with an arbitrary amount of appearances.

Also your comment previous was OTT. That he was out of his depth at Crewe's level when he signed for us.

He blatantly wasn't otherwise he wouldn't have been anywhere near signing for us and Swansea wouldn't have been interested.

On 1/9/2016 at 15:08, Zatman said:

He has actually played at this level and he was probably out of his depth then and somehow got into the Premier League

Like, come on.

'He has actually played at Wycombe's level and was probably out of his depth then'

How is that not OTT? It's blatantly untrue.

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

Like, come on.

'He has actually played at Wycombe's level and was probably out of his depth then'

How is that not OTT? It's blatantly untrue.

well it was said during a match he was absolute brutal in ;)

And?

Doesn't change what you said.

Then he was much better in a PL game. Didn't look at his depth at all. Still hasn't been good enough this season by a long shot, but I can guarantee he wasn't out of his depth when he played for Crewe. It's just a revisionist OTT comment.

Edited by StefanAVFC

well i didnt see the Palace game so I cant comment, problem with Westwood he has 1 good game in about 10 and has never been consistent enough for me. His best game was easily FA Cup semi final yet he has never come near a performance like that again

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

well i didnt see the Palace game so I cant comment, problem with Westwood he has 1 good game in about 10 and has never been consistent enough for me. His best game was easily FA Cup semi final yet he has never come near a performance like that again

That's fine.

Nothing to do with your comment about him being out of his depth at L1/L2 level though.

A player has a perfectly reasonable game in a match we win 1-0 and he gets called a 'gutless worm' by a keyboard warrior (pun intended), I have no idea how it can be suggested that that is comparable to any poster saying he's a good player. It's quite clear which side of the coin is most susceptible to hyperbole.

I think as maybe Stefan or Steve said he's been poor since the first few games of the season and deserved time out the first 11, but looks to be more comfortable now under Garde - I suspect because the manager understands his game a little more. We'll see.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

He played really well and orchestrated the game superbly.

He was still unable to find the killer ball when he spotted it but he came forward with a lot more confidence and knew he'd get the ball back if he played it to another midfielder. He had a shot, he came forward, he gambled.

He still can't tackle but he did play well.

I still would replace him because he's too luxury for this relegation battle but honestly he was a different player against Palace and his medium range passing was great. It really helped us get up the pitch.

23 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

So he is the worst villa player of all time with 50 appearances and 'he was out of his depth' (ie: not good enough) at L2 level when he played for Crewe (before we signed him)?

They're 2 OTT criticisms levelled at him. If the point that people are OTT is 'rubbish' then you agree with both of those right?

name anyone with 50+ appearances who is worse than him?

37 minutes ago, commander said:

name anyone with 50+ appearances who is worse than him?

Baker, Nzogbia, El Ahmadi, bannan to name a few recent ones.

and that's not mentioning Lowton, albrighton, weimann or hutton who I liked for some reason, but could be considered worse

17 minutes ago, AXD said:

Baker, Nzogbia, El Ahmadi, bannan to name a few recent ones.

and that's not mentioning Lowton, albrighton, weimann or hutton who I liked for some reason, but could be considered worse

Wouldn't say any of them are worse. Equally as bad yes. Weimann and Albrighton were better.

16 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

For anybody worried about our current transfer committee, try one that wastes the time and effort on a 30 page dossier for Ashley Westwood. Find it hard to believe that nowhere in that, did it say, he was shite.

How pathetically petty.

• Like 2

Which is around 90 years worth of players less to choose from [emoji3]

This is hilarious.

90 years more isn't OTT?

You're missing the point. I'm saying I couldn't possibly comment on the other 90 years. Neither could you. So its impossible to say it's OTT or not. 

You can't say it's definitely not true anymore than a person can say it is.

What is undoubted is that ashley westwood, at this level, is pants.

Ok from the last few years;

Salifou, Sylla, KEA, Richardson, Holman.

Chew the fat on those, the first 5 that came to mind. All centre mids at the club at the same time as him.

You've got it in your head now that he's rubbish and I'm aware that is never going to change. He's certainly not a great player, given the type of player he is he'll find it incredibly difficult to ever show "greatness". But at what he does he is OK. I'd like better, but we have what we have.

I watched Tuesdays game again and he was good in the first half. Recycled the ball well and kept it moving forward, as he does when he's playing well. Faded, as did a few of them, but never once could I fault his effort. Set up Kozak for a glorious chance on 76 minutes, lovely vision, Kozak moved just a *fraction* too early. Don't recall seeing Salifou ever do that. Do you?