Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Veretout has promise, but I saw nothing from him today that Westwood couldn't have done and better.

I suggest you missed a fair amount then

The biggest difference between them is that it looks like Veretout can actually carry the ball and commit defenders potentially opening up space for others

Westwood has a tendency to recieve the ball and immediately give it to someone else (be that sideways, backwards or on occasion forwards)

A massive deficiency in the way that we have played for the lat few seasons is in just how little the midfield contributes to our attacking moves and a lot of the problem is Westwood and his lack of desire / inability to try riskier work that forces opponents to adjust their defending shape

If you dont have players capable of beating men, then you are stuck with the kind of speculative (and outdated) football we have played for the last few years where everything gets funneled to the wings and hopefully thrown into the box

Having players that can beat a single man in midfield causes another opponent to shift their defensive assignment which alters the entire setup and creates the space for other players as well as freeing up players that may have been previously man-marked

Westwood is neat and tidy and his stats 'look' impressive when taken in isolation but its his very style of play and unfortunate limitations that make it obvious (in my opinion at least) that he's not suited to this level. I wish it wasnt the case, I was raving about him after his first season and am as amazed as anyone that he is EXACTLY the same player that he was when he first came. He hasnt kicked on at all

Veretout did enough today and in glimpses over the course of the season so far to show me that he is a better answer if we ever want to play a more modern game that isnt reliant on "get it on the head of the big man"

I agree with what you say here.

I would add a point though, I think Westwood could come into the side in place of Sanchez against sides who we are expected to keep possession against. Against teams that are happy to sit back and play us on the counter (admittedly not as many these days), I think Westwood could play the role of the midfielder who sits in front of the back 4 and keeps the possession recycling. 

Veretout wasn't brilliant today, but even that was a vast improvement on Westwood.

Was he out with concussion today?....unbelievable.

He was out with a knock on the leg, confirmed by the manager who said he could have played today.

Veretout has promise, but I saw nothing from him today that Westwood couldn't have done and better.

I suggest you missed a fair amount then

The biggest difference between them is that it looks like Veretout can actually carry the ball and commit defenders potentially opening up space for others

Westwood has a tendency to recieve the ball and immediately give it to someone else (be that sideways, backwards or on occasion forwards)

A massive deficiency in the way that we have played for the lat few seasons is in just how little the midfield contributes to our attacking moves and a lot of the problem is Westwood and his lack of desire / inability to try riskier work that forces opponents to adjust their defending shape

If you dont have players capable of beating men, then you are stuck with the kind of speculative (and outdated) football we have played for the last few years where everything gets funneled to the wings and hopefully thrown into the box

Having players that can beat a single man in midfield causes another opponent to shift their defensive assignment which alters the entire setup and creates the space for other players as well as freeing up players that may have been previously man-marked

Westwood is neat and tidy and his stats 'look' impressive when taken in isolation but its his very style of play and unfortunate limitations that make it obvious (in my opinion at least) that he's not suited to this level. I wish it wasnt the case, I was raving about him after his first season and am as amazed as anyone that he is EXACTLY the same player that he was when he first came. He hasnt kicked on at all

Veretout did enough today and in glimpses over the course of the season so far to show me that he is a better answer if we ever want to play a more modern game that isnt reliant on "get it on the head of the big man"

I agree with what you say here.

I would add a point though, I think Westwood could come into the side in place of Sanchez against sides who we are expected to keep possession against. Against teams that are happy to sit back and play us on the counter (admittedly not as many these days), I think Westwood could play the role of the midfielder who sits in front of the back 4 and keeps the possession recycling. 

Even then I'd keep Sanchez in the team, given his greater defensive contribution and ability to win the ball back.

You can't fault the logic of "Westwood wasnt in the team and we played really well therefore Westwood must have been the problem"

Most players seemed to jump up a gear today. No reason to suggest Westwood wouldn't do the same.

Like I said earlier, I saw nothing in Veretout's game today that Westwood couldn't have provided. I'm looking forward to him under Garde. If Veretout develops to be better then great. We have a better player and we have options/cover in reserve in Westwood.

• Like 1

I'm calling it. Ashley Westwood is the most influential player ever on VT. 

He was never gonna play today and yet he's been in one of the most talked about threads whenever I've checked in tonight. 

Do I think we missed him today? I'd say no.

Am I glad he's a villa player? Yes I am.

• Like 2

For some reason, Westwood has become the most polarizing player on the team. Seems most people on here either love him or hate him.

But because I'm such a reasonable and cerebral guy, (and basically an awesome guy in general), I fall comfortably in between. 

He's a somewhat limited player on a team comprised largely of somewhat limited players.

One thing about Westwood though, is that he puts in an honest shift every time, and never complains.

He's a good pro, but he'll never be a great player.

• Like 1

I honestly cant believe how anyone can say there was no difference from Veretout to Westwood. just on corners alone.. we were alot more threatening. He has a great delivery. Will get a few assists on set pieces. He drives forward WITH the ball.. rather than just passing it to Gil or Sanchez.

Veretout is still young and new to the premier league. For him to be on par with a lack of fitness with Westwood. Speaks volumes. He has a few gears to go up.. Westwood doesnt.

• Like 1

Veretout looked far better in tighter areas than Westwood does (go on, post that Mick McCarthy gif). He also carries the ball far more, committing people and creating space. I don't hate Westwood but I do find him very frustration, he is too eager to take the easy option and his passing is quite poor under pressure. 

Massive props to the three in midfield today, hope it continues. 

Team plays bad under bad manager - It's Westwood's fault. He's holding us back from being the 15th place team we're destined to be!

Team plays good under good manager - See? It's clearly because Westwood isn't playing. Further proof that he's a Ligue 2 player at best!

Veretout has yet to show he offers anything more than Westwood, thought Veretout was bang average yesterday as he has been since his arrival. A run of games may see him get better, after all Westwood has played nearly 100 prem games and Veretout has barely had any game time. Veretout's performance yesterday was nothing to rave about.