Ashley Westwood

Nabby

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Except for the last three seasons you mean?

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Careful with that logic there.

Whoops, formatting bombsite.

Edited by Tomaszk

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Except for the last three seasons you mean?

He really wasn't vItal.

Fwiw, I don't think he's vital now. Was just going off what a previous poster had suggested.

Interestingly, a lot of people in the summer were suggesting that better players around westwood would make him play better. They were right. Unfortunately, in the sense that our best players had left, therefore his better form is behind him and he's only going to get worse. 

Bar The first couple of games this season he has been absolutely shite and the fact he was one of our best players at the start of the season was/should have been clear indication of the shambolic disaster that was about to occur.

Clearly not a premiership footballer and I'm amazed people, after 4 years, are still trying to argue against that.

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

no coincidence we played a good game against City and a good 2nd half against Spurs without him on the pitch. Then pathetic again on his return vs Everton

Agree.  Very average at best and he epitomizes everything about the way this club has been performing for the past 4-5 years!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

no coincidence we played a good game against City and a good 2nd half against Spurs without him on the pitch. Then pathetic again on his return vs Everton

Well, it is sort of a coincidence.

Are you really saying  the difference between the City and Everton games was Westwood being on the pitch?

• Like 2

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Are you really saying  the difference between the City and Everton games was Westwood being on the pitch?

I was about to say, coincidence sounds like exactly the right word.

Tottenham scored two while he wasn't on the pitch, and the first was a monumental **** up by Clark. other than that, he'd actually done pretty well before being smashed in the face.

It's hilarious that this thread is still at the top despite Ashley being better than Gana and Veretout at the weekend.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

IMO he was one of the main reasons.  Other Teams midfield destroy us when he plays, they just run and pass through the middle.  He is like a paper bag blowing about the pitch.  I dont really see what he offers in a premiership team. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

IMO he was one of the main reasons.  Other Teams midfield destroy us when he plays, they just run and pass through the middle.  He is like a paper bag blowing about the pitch.  I dont really see what he offers in a premiership team. 

I wouldn't disagree that we look better without him at the moment, even though I think he's better than Veretout is currently.

I'd rather see Sanchez in the DM role as long as he remains consistent in his performances, but as I've said elsewhere I'd drop both Westwood and Veretout and have Gil central as I think he needs to be more involved.

But Zatman's post implied that the reason we went from a solid 0-0 draw to a 4-0 hammering was down to Westwood being on the pitch. Which is a huge overreaction.

Edited by Stevo985

Well he is supposed to be the central defensive midfielder.On the 1st goal he was not close enough to Barkley to stop him getting the ball in the first place, and then he failed to follow his man off the ball.On the 2nd, he failed to close down the space for Delefou quick enough, then when the initial threat was thwarted, he failed to put himself in the correct poition to stop Lukaku getting to the ball, on the 3rd goal, first of all he failked to get it away, then again failed to shadow his man and get rid of the danger, on the 4th goal, Delefou ran into the gap he should have been in, granted by then we was chasing the game.

The thing that gets me about Westwood is that, firstly he is massively over valued, but more to the point, he has got no awareness of whats going on around him.He never tracks his man, never gets in good defensive positions, lets people run off him without being aware, and doesn't anticipate danager.The perfect undefensive midfielder if you like, a bit like Barkley, but unlike Barkley he offers nothing going forward.He is a nothing player, and the more he is in the team, the more likely we are to go down.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Well he is supposed to be the central defensive midfielder.On the 1st goal he was not close enough to Barkley to stop him getting the ball in the first place, and then he failed to follow his man off the ball.On the 2nd, he failed to close down the space for Delefou quick enough, then when the initial threat was thwarted, he failed to put himself in the correct poition to stop Lukaku getting to the ball, on the 3rd goal, first of all he failked to get it away, then again failed to shadow his man and get rid of the danger, on the 4th goal, Delefou ran into the gap he should have been in, granted by then we was chasing the game.

The thing that gets me about Westwood is that, firstly he is massively over valued, but more to the point, he has got no awareness of whats going on around him.He never tracks his man, never gets in good defensive positions, lets people run off him without being aware, and doesn't anticipate danager.The perfect undefensive midfielder if you like, a bit like Barkley, but unlike Barkley he offers nothing going forward.He is a nothing player, and the more he is in the team, the more likely we are to go down.

Spot on, i think Garde will spot that very quickly.  Also heard Garde was very keen to have Gardner playing in todays friendly.

11 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

So basically it's all Westwood's fault?

He's been naff lately, but this thread is the biggest case of scapegoating a Villa player I've ever seen.

There are quite a few other players getting pelters as well as I read through the forum. Gabby, Richards, Veretout, Gestede and Grealish have all been getting lots of stick from memory. There are probably more, but I haven't had chance to read all of the threads yet.

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

its not scapegoating to say a player is crap which he is

No it isn't.

But I'd argue it is the absolute definition of scapegoating to say it's all his fault. Which is pretty much what you did.

• Like 1

Well maybe, just maybe, all this crap that has been spouted about his "unseen work", "good stats", "value to the team", "best passer at the club" were all that,   crap.

Its no coincedence that the best teams have the best central midfields, Westwood has been the mainstay of a central midfield that has consistanyly been in the bottom 5.He is nowhere good enough to be a 1st teamer at AVFC, the quicker he is out the team the better.

I have nothing against Westwood, he is not a dislikeable player, hes just not good enough to get us out of this mess.

the fact people think he is easily good enough for our midfield is why we are shit. Westwood should have been chucked out of club in summer like Lowton and Weimann. He has played 3.5 seasons and offers nothing at this level. Is no more excuses and can see him in Championship with or without us soon