Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I don't think we have seen the best of Westwood, I don't like him  as a DM, hes not strong enough in the tackle for me in that position but I do like his passing ability and his movement off the ball. If we are winning a game and need to keep possession then he would get the nod for me over Gana. I think he will play a part in Remi's Villa team.

He has been pretty awful this season and going forward we need to stick with a more dynamic midfield, allowing the defensive midfielder to be just that. That is all.

Don't you think he deserves the clean slate that the likes of N'Zogbia, who has been far worse than Westwood for Villa, have gotten?

He has been pretty awful this season and going forward we need to stick with a more dynamic midfield, allowing the defensive midfielder to be just that. That is all.

Don't you think he deserves the clean slate that the likes of N'Zogbia, who has been far worse than Westwood for Villa, have gotten?

N'Zogbia doesn't deserve a clean slate either

Westwood deserves one too.

This season is the first season that his performances have really dropped and you could argue that the manager had a big influence on that because a lot of players were turd under him.

He'll definitely get the same clean slate.  He'll play his fair share.  I do think that ultimately once Garde has settled on a side that Westwood's problem might be that he's not as defensive as Sanchez and not as attacking as Veretout so his role will be an interesting one to see unfold, if at all.  It's hard to know which midfielders he is best played alongside or in which formation.  Because with the best will in the world, he's not good enough to be the boss in there.  He may end up being our Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Like 4

Westwood has been awful this season but he's passing is sharper than Sanchez but Sanchez has a lot more physical presence but as BOF said he's not the best DM or the best CM at the club so he'll just be cover IMO. In certain games he may get the nod over Sanchez especially at home when we will be expected to attack more but then I'd prefer a midfield 2 with an extra attacker involved so it's going to be tough for him. 

• Like 1

That's a good point dn1982.  He might be what's needed against the 'lesser' sides if Garde thinks his more incisive passing is what's needed instead of the stronger protection of the back 4 which would be provided by Sanchez.  Horses for courses as we seem to be saying more and more in here these days :)

He'll definitely get the same clean slate.  He'll play his fair share.  I do think that ultimately once Garde has settled on a side that Westwood's problem might be that he's not as defensive as Sanchez and not as attacking as Veretout so his role will be an interesting one to see unfold, if at all.  It's hard to know which midfielders he is best played alongside or in which formation.  Because with the best will in the world, he's not good enough to be the boss in there.  He may end up being our Jack of all trades, master of none.

There lies the problem for me at the moment! Unless he can step up his attacking game he would be down my pecking order as I think Sanchez and Gana are better DM's. Sanchez had one of them games Sunday which confirmed what many of us thought in that keep him in the DM role and he will produce class performances. I thought he was outstanding against Yaya who he never allowed to play down the middle at all, hence most their attacks came from wide as we were pretty solid centrally.  

I do agree though in that he should start with a clean slate as should everyone. Although maybe not start as many he is definitely a decent squad player and someone who can possibly excel in a possession based game. I like him as I think he is a tidy player, not a dominant figure but calm and neat in his passing and retention of the ball. Problem at the moment though is needs must and we need dominant players in the middle. 

I also don't blame him for the whole Cornergate Saga as I am pretty positive he would have been under instructions on how to deliver the ball from corners. Westwood has definitely a role to play imo  unless of course Garde has other ideas.

In reality he hasn't been awful all season and was one of our best players after 4 games of the season. Since then he has been bad along with nearly every other player. He has shown good form in his first 2 seasons with us especially when we were set up to attack and I'm hopeful Remi will bring the best out of him again.

• Like 1

Garde seemed to suggest Westwood would have started instead of Veretout in his post match comments as he didn't think Veretout could last the game but he had to start because of Ashley's injury, so I think he's going to rotate him, Veretout and Sanchez depending on the opposition which is sensible. I don't see him dropping Veretout after Sunday though so maybe Westwood will get a half hour at Everton depending on the score and maybe start at Watford. I like all our central midfielders despite their individual limitations and think any three could be very good together.

The thing is that he isn't the same type of midfielder as Veretout who can play the box-to-box role and even as a #10. If he is to compete with anybody then surely it is Sanchez.

• Like 1