Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Position. I'm not a fan wherever he plays but his most suited position is clearly playing at the base of the midfield, receiving deep and recycling. 

I'd agree with that then. I just don't know if that is where he'll get a look in. Looking at Gonalons who played that role for Garde's Lyon he is very good defensively whilst also possessing good passing ability. I don't think Westwood is well rounded enough to play the role I think Garde will want.

• Like 1

I see it like that too. As one poster eluded to in the Sanchez thread, it is the tactical status-quo in France to play with an 'enforcer' type defensive-midfielder, so I believe Sanchez will generally be preferred on that basis. 

• Like 1

I think we're far too weak defensively to not be playing with one. Gana is a nuisance but I don't think he is cut out to be the defensive player in the midfield.

Even if we started with Gana and Veretout ahead of Westwood that wouldn't be strong enough for me. Gana and Sanchez ahead of Westwood doesn't strike me as a particularly creative option either.

The thing is that he isn't the same type of midfielder as Veretout who can play the box-to-box role and even as a #10. If he is to compete with anybody then surely it is Sanchez.

From what I've seen of Veretout so far, Westwood is exactly the same type of midfielder as Veretout.

Veretout seems to play the game in a very similar way.

The thing is that he isn't the same type of midfielder as Veretout who can play the box-to-box role and even as a #10. If he is to compete with anybody then surely it is Sanchez.

From what I've seen of Veretout so far, Westwood is exactly the same type of midfielder as Veretout.

Yeah I agree that the Villa version of Veretout definitely looks Westwood like. I think Isa was referring to the positions he played at Nantes. 

I see Westwood as being more methodical about his pass selection where Veretout appears to recycle the ball a bit quicker which probably means he could do a job further up the field in higher pressure situations.

Potentially.

I have to disagree. Now maybe what I've seen is down to Garde's instructions to Veretout compared to Sherwood's "instructions"(sic) to Westwood. But Veretout looked to run forward as soon as he got the ball against City whereas Westwood's instinct is to look up and spray a pass. Westwood looks to open the opposition up with an incisive pass and he doesn't do a whole lot of running when he himself has possession. Veretout looks to be very much a runner on the ball, lay it off, get it back type player. Both good. Both effective. Just remains to be seen which Garde settles on. Who knows. He might fit both in with one further up.

I think the running with the ball thing is the main difference. I also think that once he's found his feet that Veretout will be more of a "killer pass" type player where as Westwood is more the water carrier type though with the occassional good ball in his locker. I can see why someone would say they are similar but I think they are key differences.

I would agree that Westwood is not a good box to box player, doesnt have enough in the final third for me to play that role. Whether Veretout is good enough either we dont know yet but I'd be more willing to see him persisted with in that role as I think he has the tools to do it that Westwood doesnt (running past a man, late runs into the box, good skill in tight areas).

If I was in charge he'd be battling with Sanchez for a place. If Sanchez keeps playing like he did on Sunday he wins right now because he offers a lot more defensively than we lose passing wise. As we've all seen his passing can sometimes turn into a horror show for a run of games so no doubt Westwood will get plenty of game time. 

Even from the brief glimpses we've seen of Veretout here, I think you can see that his skill-set differs from Westwood's in a few ways. He can carry the ball forward, he seems to possess greater mobility and looks to run beyond the ball. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

He is so poor without D**ph holding his hand.

That's one of the problems.

Good players playing well like D**ph, Benteke and Vlaar raise the levels of people alongside them like Westwood, Grealish, Gabby etc.

Without that quality there anymore we look to the players named to raise their level and they just can't do it, just aren't good enough.

Absolute shit, again. If I was this shit at my job for 3 years running i'd have been sacked 50 times over by now. Feel like smashing my head against the wall when I see players like him constantly picked week in week out despite doing absolutely nothing all game apart from the most diabolical corners you will ever see.