Ashley Westwood

Nabby

He can do that but he can then disappear for games after it, He did look a lot more hungrier and determined tonight than in previous seasons and hope that can continue. Signing more midfielders probably has told him he wont be guaranteed starter like before

Could it be that there's more movement around him which in turn allows him to dispatch the ball more quickly and into more threatening areas these days? Under previous regimes it's gone backwards because it was the only option bar a punt into space.

• Like 1

Bossed it tonight. MOTM.

Had a good game but no chance he was MOTM. Gueye, Kozak and Bacuna all better imo.

Depends  on the eye that sees I guess. Gueye and Kozak were oustanding as well and are right up there with Westwood. Bacuna did not stand out for me.

Thought Westwood kept things ticking over really well together with Gueye today. Wonder what their pass % was. Both kept the bell very well under pressure.

When we were in posession Westwood dictated the tempo. Started a lot of our attacking moves.

He had two-three amazing defence splitting passes to kozak, who had geat movement of the ball and did a great job holding it up. Had it been to another type of forward those would more or less end up as a breakaway or cross into the box(not critizing Kozak!). 

Pretty sure Westwood had the most key passes in todays game.

He really suprised me. I watched him closely tonight,  which might just color my view of how well he preformed compared to others.  But in my opinion he bossed it tonight. 

Sadly i think it's one of better preformances I've seen from him. If he can play like he did today on regular basis, he would be a great player to have on the pitch, atleast for home games.

• Like 1

Westwood was good tonight, don't remember him doing much wrong. Him and Gueye linked up well.

He's never gonna win over everyone, he's not gonna win MOTM often either.

But he's a good player, one of our more consistent players. There are certainly other players that are a much greater concern.

I thought he was alright at Walsall actually, didn't just move the ball on as soon as he recieved it but actually moved forward and attempted to play in the forwards.

I  like him as a player but never really rated him as good enough to be the team DM, more the continuity player of the midfield three like the role Cleverley played last season.

He does need to step up now seeing as he's been here for 3 years. Some good spells of form in the three seasons but can he kick on now and show he can play well for say 20 games in a season.

There's an interview on AVTV now with Sherwood, he says "I have to give special mention to Ashley Westwood, if anyone wants to get his space in the team they're going to have to try very hard" or words to that effect.

There's a fresh interview with Sherwood on AVTV where he talks about all the new signings, at the end he gives a special mention to Westwood:

"If anyone's going to get into his spot in midfield he's going to have to be a very good player"

Think he'll play a big part this season, sitting between Gueye and Veretout.

There's a fresh interview with Sherwood on AVTV where he talks about all the new signings, at the end he gives a special mention to Westwood:

"If anyone's going to get into his spot in midfield he's going to have to be a very good player"

Think he'll play a big part this season, sitting between Gueye and Veretout.

High 5.

For me, he's ahead of Sanchez to play in that holding role. Sanchez seems to be more capable of producing MOTM performances (eg Sunderland, home) but then is more likely to be all over the place (eg arsenal, home & away etc).

I think Westwood, being the more consistent player, is the better option while we've got so many new players in the starting eleven.