Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I think the funny thing is how people say he does so little and only keeps it simple when infact he plays great incisive balls that set us on the attack more than any other player in the squad.

• Like 2

I think the funny thing is how people say he does so little and only keeps it simple when infact he plays great incisive balls that set us on the attack more than any other player in the squad.

you make it sound like he's been a success and the last few years just a bad dream.

you make it sound like he's been a success and the last few years just a bad dream.
His first two seasons he was great, last season he wasn't so good much like the rest of the team. This season will show how good he is as he will be surrounded by better players with better movement ahead of him.

I like Westwood and he has played well in some games, but to say he was "great" in his first two seasons is very, very far from the truth, IMO.

Edited by myko
  • Like 1

He's reminds me of Denilson who used to play for Arsenal. Half decent passer of the ball without offering anything else at all.

Very, very unfair.

Funny how somebody who offers so little and is so crap has played so many games for us over the past few years and still appears to be a first choice midfielder, despite all our midfield signings this summer.

Unless I'm forgetting someone, we've lost two first choice midfielders and signed two midfielders, he's hardly had to bat away swarms of competition for his place. 

He's reminds me of Denilson who used to play for Arsenal. Half decent passer of the ball without offering anything else at all.

Very, very unfair.

Funny how somebody who offers so little and is so crap has played so many games for us over the past few years and still appears to be a first choice midfielder, despite all our midfield signings this summer.

Unless I'm forgetting someone, we've lost two first choice midfielders and signed two midfielders, he's hardly had to bat away swarms of competition for his place. 

No true but Sherwood seems fairly intent on replacing almost everyone yet Westwood I expect will be one of 2 or 3 to retain his place.

• Like 4

I like Westwood and he has played well in some games, but to say he was "great" in his first two seasons is very, very far from the truth, IMO.

Well he got a good amount of assists in his first season and was a major factor in our end of season revival that saved us and his second season he had a high percentage of key passes and scored 3 great goals with a couple of assists. Seeing as he was our deepest sitting midfielder I think he did great.

Given what we paid for him and where he came from (League 2 basically) I think he's been quite successful.

I don't think it really matters where someone was signed from, right now he is a premier league footballer with 3 seasons of top flight football under his belt.

You can use that as an excuse for first season and at a push the 2nd, but coming into a 4th Premier League season it doesnt matter he was once a league 2 player.

I actually think he's ok, and hes quite quick as well. He's a tidy player that can do a job. I'm happy for him to fight with the other lot for a place, though I don't think he's good enough to be one of the first few names on the teamsheet.

Very, very unfair.

Yep, all two of them.

I rate Westwood. Does the job which is often underrated -  Keeping it tidy and the ball moving, transitioning it from defence to attack.  Because this isn't the job that makes the headlines his contributions can often be missed and as a result he is often in the firing line for criticism.

One of the key things I've noticed with Sherwood's signings is their movement. Amavi is known for getting forward. Ayew for finding space and link up play. Veretout and Gueye as well. Hopefully now with a much more mobile team Westwood will really come into his own as he will have multiple passing options to help him set the tempo and push the team forward.

I would love him to chip in with a few more goals as well as I feel its a part of his game he could develop, but really hoping this will be a big season for Ash!

• Like 1

Mr consistent. His technique, passing and work rate are excellent. Barryesque

bannan%20teaser%20only.jpg

GTFO Con.

:)  :)  :)

Very, very unfair.

If he's not banging in the goals or creating assists left, right and centre then it seems he's bang average and not good enough for us. I think he's a tidy footballer and I'd love it if he stayed with us for much, much longer.

I get the impression that Westwood wasn't part of Sherwood's plans when he first came to club but it shows the character of the player that he changed Sherwood's mind pretty quickly and has gone ahead of Sanchez in the pecking order. 

Sherwood on Westwood:

"And I must give a mention to Ashley Westwood. If anyone is going to get into his spot in midfield, they're going to have be a very good player."

Why does there seem to be such a intellectual superiroty complex with those who rate Westwood highly? It is possible that those who don't particualry rate him do understand his role and aren't that simple that they just don't understand what he does, which seems to be suggested time and time again, maybe it's just felt he doesn't offer enough?

Personally I think he's a pretty solid player who seems to be both massively over and under rated by different sets of people, but the constant remarks that those who don't rate him do so because he isn't smashing in goals and assists every week seems massively patronising to me.

• Like 1

Given what we paid for him and where he came from (League 2 basically) I think he's been quite successful.

Yep... He has definitely taken the opportunity more than Bowery or Lowton ever did... It was, to be fair, one of Lamberts better signings and he didn't break the bank...