Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I think he is a far better player than a lot of people appreciate the problem is what he does is the sort of stuff that his team mates and coaches notice rather than fans.

That gets thrown out a lot.  I appreciate what he does, I just think we can get someone to do it better. 

He's nothing special.

• Like 1

I think he is a far better player than a lot of people appreciate the problem is what he does is the sort of stuff that his team mates and coaches notice rather than fans.

That gets thrown out a lot.  I appreciate what he does, I just think we can get someone to do it better. 

He's nothing special.

Probably because there is something in it. We might be able to, only problem is we've a limited budget and far more pressing issues.

I think improving on Westwood could have a big impact on this team.  Hoping that either we sign the bloke from Malaga or Sanchez becomes the player he is in a columbia shirt, although I have serious doubts he's capable of that.

With better quality attacking players around him he will look a better player, he puts us in so many good attacking situations and so often it comes to nothing because of bad play from the likes of Gabby, Weimann and Zogbia.

• Like 2

With better quality attacking players around him he will look a better player, he puts us in so many good attacking situations and so often it comes to nothing because of bad play from the likes of Gabby, Weimann and Zogbia.

Totally agree.

He is a good player but he is probably not good enough to push us on a level but I wouldnt be kicking him out of the club in a hurry as we have no midfielders.

Problem for me is he is still too inconsistent, he can have a stormer one week and then go anonymous the following week(same could be said for Quota)

That gets thrown out a lot. I appreciate what he does, I just think we can get someone to do it better.

He's nothing special.

Probably because there is something in it.

By that logic there is probably something in him being not that great. After all, that gets thrown out a lot.

If he rates Westwood so well, why are we being linked with so many in his position? Unless Sanchez is to be moved on, signing Gueye and Darder makes no sense.

Squad depth/competition for places?

If he rates Westwood so well, why are we being linked with so many in his position? Unless Sanchez is to be moved on, signing Gueye and Darder makes no sense.

Well we lost Delph and Cleverley and we weren't exactly blessed with options to start with.

Plus half the stuff the press write is guff and even when it is accurate it is misleading, clubs will normally be making enquiries about several players in the same position but never intend to sign them all.

I'd agree and I also think that's a big part of why we've been so shit for the last few years.  When average players like Westwood are the best you have in a position then it shows how weak the team is.

I am still not sure Sherwood rates him- I think he likes his midfielders to be more pro-active. Having said that he is a good pro and I think he still could get better. So I would like him to be in the mix for a starting XI again this season.

Erm...

Sherwood loves Westwood's ability to shift the ball at pace and get the team moving forward. 

He said: "Ashley is definitely my cup of tea. He's the sort of footballer I like. 

"He's not going to score you a bag full of goals but if you analyse him, he passes the ball forward more than most. 

"He slides it in between the midfield and gets the No.10 on the ball. 

"He passes it quick and the commentator does not have time to say his name. That's what I like. 

"He's the Michael Carrick mould of a player and I think he can get better. 

"I'm certainly happy with what he's doing. He's one of my favourite players."

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~4708458,00.html

But but but I thought James Nursey said that we were going to sell him.

I can't shake the feeling that it's because of players like Westwood we were almost relegated. 3 times. I don't think he's a bad footballer, but I question his constitution. In a weird way he's a bit of a luxury player, technically good and as is well documented he recycles the ball efficiently.

Though I can't help but feel that he's one of those players who when the going gets tough he goes powderpuff. He's not lazy, not at all, but I don't think I have ever come away from a game thinking we got a point there because Westwood put a proper shift in, held his head up while others lost theirs. He only ever seems to excel when we excel add a team. As in rarely.

He is a useful squad member but I, personally, would be looking to improve on him long term.

• Like 1