Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Was at Forest today - Westwood and Veretout are basically made for each other.  The amount of one-touch passing and lay offs between them was immense.  Hutton also played a part in this, so shout out, but yeah... Westwood has a place in this team.

• Like 2

I was also at Forest and Westwood was very good, however I don't agree that him and Veretout played particularly well together. It was a lot of short passing but it never really lead anywhere and in the second half they were doing it too close to our end of the pitch to the point that Forest finally cottoned on and started pressing more in those areas and on a couple of occasions it got us into some hairy moments.

Gueye and Westwood played very well together though. I was very impressed with Gueye. He was the best player on the pitch by a mile in the first half.

Edited by Ginko

The second half was about 88% Villa - Forest did nothing.  Our defence looked shaky with Sanchez (wtf?) and Baker at the heart of it, but we absolutely ran the show.  I thought Westwood and Veretout were key to this (I wouldn't drop Gueye, he was ace first half) and their interplay was superb.

I actually think Westwood is one of our most underrated players. He just keeps things ticking over, breaks things up, does the simple stuff, short successful passes. He works hard every match, is professional and rarely lets the team down. It's only because he doesn't score goals that he isn't rated much more highly by Villa fans and the wider footballing world.

Having watched him in the preason games he has, once again, been possibly one of the most consistent, best performers. Quietly doing his job well. He is so calm with the ball and plays the right pass 9 times out of 10. Of course if he could add a few goals to his game even better, perhaps try to go past a few players but overall he'd be one of the first names on my teamsheet, far ahead of Sanchez, Cole etc.

Mr. Reliable.

• Like 2

I actually think Westwood is one of our most underrated players. He just keeps things ticking over, breaks things up, does the simple stuff, short successful passes. He works hard every match, is professional and rarely lets the team down. It's only because he doesn't score goals that he isn't rated much more highly by Villa fans and the wider footballing world.

Having watched him in the preason games he has, once again, been possibly one of the most consistent, best performers. Quietly doing his job well. He is so calm with the ball and plays the right pass 9 times out of 10. Of course if he could add a few goals to his game even better, perhaps try to go past a few players but overall he'd be one of the first names on my teamsheet, far ahead of Sanchez, Cole etc.

Mr. Reliable.

I don't mean this in an offensive way, but I think your first paragraph here is a Full House on the Westwood Cliche Bingo Card.

• Like 3

Mr consistent. His technique, passing and work rate are excellent. Barryesque

The comparison to Barry is good one.

Has seen much more confident during pre-season and I think Gueye will help him develop even more.

Good to see.

Easier to play passing football when your team is moving for you!

Westwood has always been tidy, he now has other "footballers" around him who are technically competent enough to play the same way.

• Like 1

His passing and vision are great. I agree with the sentiment some pages back that better movement around him will instantly make him look better than he has.

He has a long way to go to be mentioned in the same breath as Barry though.

Question of Sport: Ashley Westwood
Midfielder talks us through his sporting interests.

0,,10265~13881972,00.jpg

Q] Which sport would you love to be able to do?

A] I'd love to have a go at Gaelic football.

It just looks fun, smashing into people!

Likes his GAA does Ashley. Good man.

I really, really rate Westwood and think that his contribution has been overlooked, especially when you think about the step up he has made since leaving Crewe.

I reckon by Christmas, we will really see him start to shine, when the new boys around him have really settled in and Wilkins' influence and coaching starts to show (although I think it is already).