Jordan Bowery

FamousHolteUnion

It's just a stupid signing, when you've got better youngsters at U21 and U18 level why spend £500k on a complete no hoper from league 2 ? The development of others was sacrificed for Bowery

Because Lambert and co really bought him thinking "Wow, this guys shit, he's not got anything that could one day make him a Premier League player, but how about we spunk £500k on him any way for shits and giggles?"

It may have been a bad signing, but the scouting team must have seen something in him that would suggest it was worth a punt and that he's better than any of our U21 players. And as far as I'm aware, we don't really have any prospects up front do we? Maybe Drennan but as far as I'm aware his big breakthrough was last season in the NextGen series, after Bowery was signed.

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla
  • Like 3

Not going to say any bad things about the person or player Bowery, but I think this is typical lottery signing. The odd signing every manager make once in a while to get a great name for recognising players nobody else have recognised if they succeed.

O'Neill had a similar in Salifou.

Wenger has had quite a few himself (can mention Huck, Obinna, Galli and a seemingly endless list). Eboue and Kolo Toure was the successful who helped Wenger in getting the reputation for having an eye for unknown and cheap players.

Not going to say any bad things about the person or player Bowery, but I think this is typical lottery signing. The odd signing every manager make once in a while to get a great name for recognising players nobody else have recognised if they succeed.

O'Neill had a similar in Salifou.

Wenger has had quite a few himself (can mention Huck, Obinna, Galli and a seemingly endless list). Eboue and Kolo Toure was the successful who helped Wenger in getting the reputation for having an eye for unknown and cheap players.

And surely those two (Eboue and Toure) more than paid for those those other signings?

• Like 1

Wenger's weird one was that South Korea striker he signed for 5m in 2011, Park's actually still there and on loan at Watford currently and he isn't even playing there.

Now Bowery...he looks miles short for the top level. I didn't get the signing then and still don't. My opinion is when Lambert took over Gabby was injured and didn't play in the first 3 games. So Lambert scouted the lower leagues for cheap back up cover and somehow came up with Bowery who looks a bit like Gabby and can play out wide but obviously can't contribute with goals or assists.

He came in for Gabby when he was injured v West Ham and Fulham, his best game was Stoke away last season. That's my theory anyway.

I've got no problem with signing Bowery, I don't think he was 500k was he?

More like 200k I thought?

It was a gamble from maybe two matches he'd seen him play where it was noted he was massive and fast as ****. Nip in and grab him in case he scores 10 in his next 10 and suddenly it's a million.

No great loss, no drama.

Terrible, terrible footballer though.

• Like 1

Yep can't believe the club sign players for the future. Who seriously wants to see the club bring in young players, give them a taste of the big time and then loan them out, and see if they can improve. So weird.

You do realise that, unlike the other players signed from the lower leagues, he did nothing in the lower leagues to indicate that he would be one for the future?
At that age all he had to do was show some potential. I'm not going to pretend I ever saw him play for Chesterfield, but clearly our scouts and manager saw some potential and we took a punt. Doesn't look like working out but it's hardly a big deal. With signings like that if 1 in 10 work out, it's decent business.
It is a big deal when you haven't much money to spend as every failure signing is a hit in valuable finances. It's only not a big deal if you have plenty of money available to replace the duds.

Then you can say the same about any "failed" signing (and Bowery has not failed yet, even if it looks likely), and no manager has a 100% success rate. With a small fee and low wages, Bowery is not going to take a large chunk of our budget. Every signing is a punt, some work and some don't.

If you have a large budget you can afford the failures but when your budget is smaller you need more guarantees. Therefore, if signing someone from lower leagues you would hope that they had a good record there. Bowery didn't! As for selling for more money than we paid, I really can't see why that would happen.

• Like 1

Wenger's weird one was that South Korea striker he signed for 5m in 2011, Park's actually still there and on loan at Watford currently and he isn't even playing there.

Now Bowery...he looks miles short for the top level. I didn't get the signing then and still don't. My opinion is when Lambert took over Gabby was injured and didn't play in the first 3 games. So Lambert scouted the lower leagues for cheap back up cover and somehow came up with Bowery who looks a bit like Gabby and can play out wide but obviously can't contribute with goals or assists.

He came in for Gabby when he was injured v West Ham and Fulham, his best game was Stoke away last season. That's my theory anyway.

They made all the money from the Korean striker fee back from shirt sales. That's what it was about.

They made all the money from the Korean striker fee back from shirt sales. That's what it was about.
Not a chance. Clubs make a few quid per shirt sale, and barca and united sell the most peer season at just over 2m. Arsenal would've needed to sell about a million park jerseys to cover the fee Edited by P3te

He was a gamble simple and it didnt work out so move on.

David Platt and Neil Cox were two that have worked out for us, that Tennis Player from Grimsby didnt.

He might have been signed to protect some of our youth players.  He was an extra body when we needed it and meant our youth were not pushed in too soon.

Anyway wish him luck and hope he does well.

• Like 2

It's just a stupid signing, when you've got better youngsters at U21 and U18 level why spend £500k on a complete no hoper from league 2 ? The development of others was sacrificed for Bowery

Name 4, then tell me why they've been held back by bowery. I'll even give you you a free pass to google the 4 players. However I'm looking forward to the indepth analysis that you have of those players and why they didn't make the first team because of Bowery.

• Like 2

Sounds unhappy with his time here to be honest, probably best for all parties if he leaves in the Summer as I doubt he'll be getting much game time in the future

Hopefully he impresses, maybe get a little profit.

On the off chance villa go down he could also be very useful

Edited by Rovers13

Sounds unhappy with his time here to be honest, probably best for all parties if he leaves in the Summer as I doubt he'll be getting much game time in the future

agree, but i dont know what he's got to be unhappy about, got more of a chance than he deserved, probably earned a decent wage here doing it too, will now drop down to a level that higher than the one we picked him up from too

disagree with those slating the signing, minimal risk, hasnt cost us much, judging by how some of the youngsters coming through have performed on loan its hard to claim he's held any of them back, now we move him on, like villachris says this isnt zat knight all over again, in the grand scheme of things he's insignificant 

Â