Rino8

Understandably the debate on where Gerrard ranks as a footballer has begun. He should go down as a great. I'd go further... I believe he is Liverpool's greatest, ahead of King Kenny himself.

In terms of the top modern day Premier League midfielders, Gerrard is in the conversation alongside Roy Keane, Paul Scholes, Frank Lampard and Patrick Vieira.

It's worth noting over his entire Liverpool career Gerrard played with a handful of world class stars. The other four teamed up with that number virtually every week.

Keane, Scholes, Lampard and Vieira were outstanding at different things. Gerrard, at his best, was outstanding at everything; scoring goals from inside and outside the box, passing, tackling, heading, defending and he was as accurate at crossing and as dangerous from set-pieces as David Beckham.

Man United fans may disagree but in many ways Gerrard was like Keane, Scholes and Becks rolled into one.

http://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/comment-liverpools-steven-gerrard-was-paul-scholes-roy-keane-and-david-beckham-in-one-31224795.html

Bleurgh

I hope the American media are relentlessly brutal with Gerrard. He's had a free rise here his entire career.

they will be, he is replacing Donovan as a DP so isnt replacing a journeyman in the squad and they wont be afraid to tell him he is shit. Also be in Robbie Keane's shadow at LA ;)

• Like 1

Understandably the debate on where Gerrard ranks as a footballer has begun. He should go down as a great. I'd go further... I believe he is Liverpool's greatest, ahead of King Kenny himself.

In terms of the top modern day Premier League midfielders, Gerrard is in the conversation alongside Roy Keane, Paul Scholes, Frank Lampard and Patrick Vieira.

It's worth noting over his entire Liverpool career Gerrard played with a handful of world class stars. The other four teamed up with that number virtually every week.

Keane, Scholes, Lampard and Vieira were outstanding at different things. Gerrard, at his best, was outstanding at everything; scoring goals from inside and outside the box, passing, tackling, heading, defending and he was as accurate at crossing and as dangerous from set-pieces as David Beckham.

Man United fans may disagree but in many ways Gerrard was like Keane, Scholes and Becks rolled into one.

http://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/comment-liverpools-steven-gerrard-was-paul-scholes-roy-keane-and-david-beckham-in-one-31224795.html

Bleurgh

Absolutely true... If the conversation topic was why Gerrard doesn't deserve to be mentioned alongside these guys.

I'd rate Gerrard as a better player than both Keane and Lampard.

I understand the debate with Lampard, but Keane is a different player...and better at his job.

• Like 1

On sky's advert they've got souness saying "probably the best player for 7 or 8 years of his career"

There's no context to it, must be from a longer interview, I hope for his own sake he's not suggesting that he's been the leagues best player 7 or 8 times in his career

Bleurgh

That 'journalist' is a retarded word removed

For a "top player" which he is, Gerrard hasn't half made some cock ups in his career.

Aside from the hilarious slip, he's also scored an own goal in a major cup final, been sent off after 30 seconds in Liverpool's biggest game of the season which was ridiculous and anyone remember England-France at euro 2004 when he hilariously passed the ball to Henry in the last minute who scored.

He then did the same thing the next season and also in a Liverpool-Chelsea game towards the end of the 2010 season which Drogba scored from and pretty much won Chelsea the league.

Bleurgh

That 'journalist' is a retarded word removed

he's right about Gerrard encompassing a more rounded game, except all those individual things those players were outstanding at, Gerrard was only occasionally very good at them. He's a Jack of All Trades. Exactly what I'd expect from someone who refers to Dalglish as 'King Kenny' though.

Â