Rino8

If Lampard, Scholes and Gerrard were at the beginning of their careers again and I had the choice of choosing one of them to play for Villa for the next ten years, I'd choose Gerrard.

It would be tough between Scholes and Gerrard, but Scholes for me.

If Lampard, Scholes and Gerrard were at the beginning of their careers again and I had the choice of choosing one of them to play for Villa for the next ten years, I'd choose Gerrard.

It would be tough between Scholes and Gerrard, but Scholes for me.

It would be Scholes everytime surely

you really wouldnt. Gerrard main problem is tactical disicpline, watch the 2005 Champions league final 1st half. 11 Gerrards be all bombing forward and be exciting to watch with no defensive structure

It's a completely different argument though isn't it.

I'd rather have a team of 11 James Milners than 11 Andrea Pirlos.

But that doesn't mean Milner is a better player.

I probably WOULD have 11 Gerrards over 11 Scholes. But Scholes is the better player.

Agree 100% re the Milner Pirlo.

It's just a comment about about Gerrard being more on an all rounder than Scholes and Lampard. Scholes was a much more special player.

But on that argument Zatman, Scholes wasn't a great defender and ditto Lampard.

That's a fair comment. I think Gerrard is a better all rounder than the other two.

But like I said, that doesn't make him a better player.

Scholes and Lampard arent great defenders but if Fergie or Mourinho asked them to play  more conservative game away in Champions League I would trust them over Gerrard.  How many times against Barcelona has Lampard sacrificed his natural game for the team and Chelsea have a decent record against them

For me all three are different so to say who's best is very difficult. Gerrard was the most dynamic out of the three, box to box, bags of pace but maybe not technically as gifted as the the two. His powers have waned over the last few years but he still ends up top goal scorer for them this season. They are all three great players over the last 15/20 years. Yes I am sick of all this Gerrard media fest myself but if you look at things objectively as a neutral instead of certain people being blinkered by this hatred of Liverpool then you can recognise that Gerrard was very very good. 

For me all three are different so to say who's best is very difficult. Gerrard was the most dynamic out of the three, box to box, bags of pace but maybe not technically as gifted as the the two. His powers have waned over the last few years but he still ends up top goal scorer for them this season. They are all three great players over the last 15/20 years. Yes I am sick of all this Gerrard media fest myself but if you look at things objectively as a neutral instead of certain people being blinkered by this hatred of Liverpool then you can recognise that Gerrard was very very good. 

More of a comment on Liverpool rather than Gerrard. It's pretty bad that a team "challenging" Top 4 their top scorer is a midfielder with 12 goals.

And again, no one has said Gerrard isn't very good, the opposite in fact, just that he is nowhere near the standard that the media likes to big him up to be and not as good as the players he's often compared to.

• Like 1

he could tackle like roy keane but not read the game like him, he can time the runs in to the box and score like scholes but cant do the passing and moving in tight spaces, he can pass the ball 60 yards like beckham but cant cross anywhere near like him

so basically he cant do the things that made those players special...

• Like 1

He's undoubtedly one of the best all round midfielders the PREMIER LEAGUE has seen, but if you ask what he's the best at, he'd be behind lots of players in lots of different categories.

Both Lampard and Scholes were better goal scorers (if you consider 1/4 of Gerrards goals were penalties Scholes scored 1). Both Scholes and Lampard's ball retention was better, tactically was better, first touch was better. Gerrard was more athletic, so was faster and stronger more powerful the other 2.

As I've said many times, Scholes and Lampard were better footballers, but Gerrard has pace and power attributes loved too much in the English game, and things that have held us back for to long.

Both Lampard and Scholes were better goal scorers (if you consider 1/4 of Gerrards goals were penalties Scholes scored 1). Both Scholes and Lampard's ball retention was better, tactically was better, first touch was better. Gerrard was more athletic, so was faster and stronger more powerful the other 2.

As I've said many times, Scholes and Lampard were better footballers, but Gerrard has pace and power attributes loved too much in the English game, and things that have held us back for to long.

and thats why I'm not a fan of Milner either. Give me Grealish or Delph any day. 

I don't think Gerrard or Lampard were in the same ball park as Scholes to be honest.

Probably my favourite Premier League player, and an absolute delight to watch (apart from his tackling of course  :D )

• Like 3

Gerrard played his best football under Rafa on the right or just behind Torres. Rafa never trusted him compleatly in the middle. He had more attributes in common with Beckham than Keane or Scholes, but Beckham had a decent first touch.

Id have Gerrard up ther with Scholes.  Lampard is nowhere near them imo.

Lampard > Scholes > Gerrard for me.

I don't think there's a massive difference between any of them though. All very good players. 

Â