Rino8

You don't need a stat for that, you need to have eyes and common sense. Everyone knows it, including their manager. Only their fans and some horrible pundits don't.

Yep Gerrard cost them the title last year...and I'm not talking about the slip.

• Like 1

You don't need a stat for that, you need to have eyes and common sense. Everyone knows it, including their manager. Only their fans and some horrible pundits don't. 

To be fair to their fans (urgh, I feel dirty typing that), a lot of them acknowledge that Gerrard has been more detrimental these past seasons, most were saying he should have never played in the semi final for instance as there's no place for sentiment in football and a few have been bemoaning him being in the team recently. They still stop short of blaming Gerrard for being rubbish though.

• Like 1

We were never tactically suited for scholes and lampard because of gerrard, he's unbalanced us for years

To me he's undeniably one of the prems best players, he plays premier league football, I'd say he's almost the epitome of it, does everything at 100mph, 60 yard passes, 30 yard goals, slide tackles from miles away, **** brilliant! Apart from the fact that there's a reason no one else in the world plays like that, only us, every now and then it'll work, and it looks great vs the minnows, but any time we play a decent team it's comes unstuck, pirlo cant do half of those things, he simply doesn't need to, instead what he can do is keep possession, pass and move, read the game, control the pace, plays the way that everyone else plays and is the best at it, proper world class midfielder, gerrard to me hasn't got any of those attributes

That is Steven Gerrard in a nut shell and for a very long time he did very well out of it. But that is a harsh indictment on the English game which has evolved and continues to do so. You don't need to look far from Villa Park on a Saturday of late to see that. 

The game has moved on and so has Steven Gerrard. 

in a what could have been scenario. Would Mourinho have been able to get the ego out of his game and add some discipline and  make him work together with Lampard at Chelsea?

Gerrard has been a great servant to Liverpool but never managed to recreate his club form internationally.

No doubt he has been a terrific player and good for the Premier League.

As for the media hype, what does everyone expect? He plays for 'everybodies favourite second team' (according to all media outlets!) which also happens to be supported by the largest collection of mawkish sentimentalists.

I'll be glad to see the back of him personally, no more whinging to the ref and diving for cheap free-kicks against us at Villa Park.

No matter how many interviews or documentaries being shown now spuffing on about how great he is will ever change my lasting memory of him - the 'we will not let this f**king slip' quote.... total comedy gold!

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 1

Lampard has scored the goals and asissts to win his club countless trophys, hes miles ahead of Gerrard for me. Scholes is on a different planet altogether, to suggest Gerrard was as good as Scholes you must be a deluded Liverpool fan

Edited by YGabbana
  • Like 1

I'm of the opinion now that the reason the media are so determined to give Gerrard such a grand send off is because he never won the premier league, its like they feel the need to make him feel special, give him an award for something, anything to make up for the fact he will leave these shores without the trophy he so badly wanted. They might aswel give him a trophy for being the worlds tallest dwarf.

I predict nearly every Liverpool attack will result in a penalty appeal tomorrow against Palace, with players diving and throwing themselves to the floor just so Stevie Meeeee can score in his final match.

Hope he misses :)

Edited by theboyangel

Seriously cannot wait for this Gerrard love in to just disappear. 

seeing as sky have the MLS i cant see that happening, not sure with how their fixtures work that theyll play each other but the build up for LA vs NYC will be daft

The old pointless saying but I'm saying it.

You'd take 11 Gerrard's over 11 Lampard's. Also you'd take 11 Gerrard's over 11 Scholes's.

Personality wise perhaps not Mr Model Citizen, but a great player.

If he'd been Villa for his whole career I'm sure we'd see it differently.

Edited by piav_k4

you really wouldnt. Gerrard main problem is tactical disicpline, watch the 2005 Champions league final 1st half. 11 Gerrards be all bombing forward and be exciting to watch with no defensive structure

• Like 1

It's a completely different argument though isn't it.

I'd rather have a team of 11 James Milners than 11 Andrea Pirlos.

But that doesn't mean Milner is a better player.

I probably WOULD have 11 Gerrards over 11 Scholes. But Scholes is the better player.

If Lampard, Scholes and Gerrard were at the beginning of their careers again and I had the choice of choosing one of them to play for Villa for the next ten years, I'd choose Gerrard.

you really wouldnt. Gerrard main problem is tactical disicpline, watch the 2005 Champions league final 1st half. 11 Gerrards be all bombing forward and be exciting to watch with no defensive structure

It's a completely different argument though isn't it.

I'd rather have a team of 11 James Milners than 11 Andrea Pirlos.

But that doesn't mean Milner is a better player.

I probably WOULD have 11 Gerrards over 11 Scholes. But Scholes is the better player.

Agree 100% re the Milner Pirlo.

It's just a comment about about Gerrard being more on an all rounder than Scholes and Lampard. Scholes was a much more special player.

But on that argument Zatman, Scholes wasn't a great defender and ditto Lampard.

Edited by piav_k4

Â