Rino8

In the words of Fergie...he's a top player, just not a top top player.

Wasn't really suited to centre mid, in fact was a liability at times throughout. He was better on the right of just behind the front man, where his ball retention is less important.

Depends how you define great. He was never world class  but he was at the same level as Lampard and Scholes in my opinion. Won a champions league with Liverpool. Never really played well with Lampard for England but had his moments like that German game. Goes down as one of the greatest ever Liverpool players behind Dalglish, although not the best player that played for the club which was Suarez. I think its true he's vastly overrated by the media. Other players like David Platt never got the recognition for what he achieved at International level yet his goals per game was far higher than Lampard or Gerrard. 

Edited by PaulC

Depends how you define great. He was never world class but he was at the same level as Lampard and Scholes in my opinion. Won a champions league with Liverpool. Never really played well with Lampard for England but had his moments like that German game. Goes down as one of the greatest ever Liverpool players behind Dalglish, although not the best player that played for the club which was Suarez. I think its true he's vastly overrated by the media. Other players like David Platt never got the recognition for what he achieved at International level yet his goals per game was far higher than Lampard or Gerrard.

Scholes is miles above Gerrard and Lampard.

I have Lampard higher than Gerrard aswell

Is he? Another player that underachieved at International level. Anyway they are different type of players so hard to compare but I certainly wouldn't rate Lampard better than Gerrard. 

Is he? Another player that underachieved at International level. Anyway they are different type of players so hard to compare but I certainly wouldn't rate Lampard better than Gerrard.

That's because our tatically clueless international managers didn't build a team around one of the most gifted footballers ever to have graced the English game.

Yes, Paul Scholes is literally 1000's of miles better than "Athlete and decent at shooting hard" Steven Gerrard.

Not even on the same solar system, never mind planet.

I agree with this, Scholes was the one that was moved, and the team missed his peak years.

Gerrard flaws are epidemic in English football, and the reason why we go further. His first touch is shocking his ball retention is poor and his defensive awareness is shocking. Similar problems to Lampard, but Lampards retention was better. These two moved out best centre midfielder out wide. It's shocking when you think about it.

Edited by Oaks

I actually do think Scholes was better than either Gerrard or Lampard but Gerrard was nowhere near as bad a player as people make out. If people rate Milner and not Gerrard then they must be totally biased because there is no comparison. 

Let's be honest Liverpool vs Palace, two teams which have nothing to play for shouldn't even be a TV game

But it's Stevie G's second to last ever BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE match!!!!!111!11

Edited by Mantis

I actually do think Scholes was better than either Gerrard or Lampard but Gerrard was nowhere near as bad a player as people make out. If people rate Milner and not Gerrard then they must be totally biased because there is no comparison.

Obviously Gerrards a better player than Milner, but I don't see Milner being wanked about for 14 years none stop by the media etc

• Like 1

We were never tactically suited for scholes and lampard because of gerrard, he's unbalanced us for years

To me he's undeniably one of the prems best players, he plays premier league football, I'd say he's almost the epitome of it, does everything at 100mph, 60 yard passes, 30 yard goals, slide tackles from miles away, **** brilliant! Apart from the fact that there's a reason no one else in the world plays like that, only us, every now and then it'll work, and it looks great vs the minnows, but any time we play a decent team it's comes unstuck, pirlo cant do half of those things, he simply doesn't need to, instead what he can do is keep possession, pass and move, read the game, control the pace, plays the way that everyone else plays and is the best at it, proper world class midfielder, gerrard to me hasn't got any of those attributes

• Like 2

We were never tactically suited for scholes and lampard because of gerrard, he's unbalanced us for years

To me he's undeniably one of the prems best players, he plays premier league football, I'd say he's almost the epitome of it, does everything at 100mph, 60 yard passes, 30 yard goals, slide tackles from miles away, **** brilliant! Apart from the fact that there's a reason no one else in the world plays like that, only us, every now and then it'll work, and it looks great vs the minnows, but any time we play a decent team it's comes unstuck, pirlo cant do half of those things, he simply doesn't need to, instead what he can do is keep possession, pass and move, read the game, control the pace, plays the way that everyone else plays and is the best at it, proper world class midfielder, gerrard to me hasn't got any of those attributes

Spot on.

Â