Rino8

Lots of managers (Mourinho & Big Sam instantly spring to mind) would have made the entire interview about the offside call with two minutes to go.   Doesn't matter that Villa stopped playing as soon as the flag went up and Balotelli shot after the whistle was blown, it could have been painted as the greatest injustice since Deirdre Rachid got sent to prison in Corrie, the media seemed only too happy to run with that angle but Rodgers didn't go there.  Fair play to him. :thumb:

Exactly my point.

He mentioned it and said he was disappointed but quickly followed up with something like "but Villa deserved to win as they were the better team today"

To be fair against Rodgers, instead of using the Suarez cash to look for a like-for-like replacement he took the Spurs/Bale route and spuffed it all on a load of mediocre cak - Lambert, Lallana, Lovren, Balotelli etc.

He should've pushed Arsenal all the way for Sanchez.

Sanchez wanted to go to Arsenal didn;t he. They didn't have to sell Suarez. They gave up on him after that biting incident in the world cup and all the media thought they were getting a good deal. When actually the only winner is Suarez.  potentially   la liga  and Champions league winners medals to come. 

(BR)... mentioned it and said he was disappointed but quickly followed up with something like "but Villa deserved to win as they were the better team today"

This is what quite a lot of RAWK are saying, besides the obvious antipathy towards Rodgers.

To be fair to them, many of RAWK's posters are quite gracious in defeat.

To be fair to them, many of RAWK's posters are quite gracious in defeat.

Most fans are when their team has been completely outplayed. The only thing Liverpool fans could complain about was their own players poor performance, Villa deserved to win.

Signings aren't all down to Rodgers and I don't think he set the team up wrong yesterday, their players just had no fight in them at all. There's only so much a manager can do, he can't fight for the players and they let him down an awful lot.

Snip!

I think it's a separate issue from who they signed because looking back at the end of the season and wondering why they didn't sign one star player to cover the unexpected injury of their prolific goalscorer reeks of hindsight being misused. What if Sturridge hadn't got injured and a new star striker was standing on his toes? Liverpool have a similar season to this one and Rodgers gets slaughtered for putting all his eggs in one basket. It's an almost impossible problem for him to solve I guess.

I don't disagree with them needing to bolster the squad, quite the opposite. But the players he brought in meant a change in shape and system. He'd had an extraordinary season with Sturridge as the furthest forward and Suarez roaming but his attacking replacements were Lambert who is a traditional target man and Balotelli who is bone idle.

They may have been outgunned in the chase for Sanchez, but you'd think there were other players out there that wouldn't have meant an outright change in system - Cavani, Higuain, Griezmann etc

Even spending £40m on one star player would've left him another £60-80m to bolster the squad.

As with you I'm not sure how they undertake transfers there now, but it just seemed odd to me that they didn't look to replace Suarez with a similar player, they hinged it all on Sturridge and then went into the season knowing if he got injured the back ups meant a totally different play style.

They've surely wasted quite a lot of money, but truth is they massively overachieved last season, because Suarez was phenomenal and was singlehandedly winning them games they had no business winning. This season they're exactly where they should be, based on their squad. No matter how much money they got for Suarez they were never in the position to sign a similar level player to replace him.

Villa might very well experience the same if/when they sell Benteke in the summer. No way we can replace him with a player as good as him, but you have to try bring a few players that'd hopefully help the team and maybe one of them makes the next step too. 

• Like 1

After the game yesterday i was out drinking in Kings Cross and there was loads of Scousers in the pub.... a lot of them came over to us and congratulated us on the win and said they hoped we'd go on to win. Really friendly bunch. Cant fault them at all. There are some fans that just wouldnt have that mentality.... Chelsea for example.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2

Did Rodgers do that irritating arm in the air celebration at Swansea or is it a recent affectation?

Hes so far up his own arse it's unbelievable.

A fact proven by that inside Liverpool documentary that was on a few years ago, which showed the inside of Brendan Rogers house

rodgers1_2332799c.jpg

I tell you where their fans were excellent yesterday - outside the ground on the way out. I missed a turning on the way back to the coach and walked through them in a Villa shirt and the number of them that said "Well done" or "You deserved that" or "I hope you win it" was really rather touching. Fair play to em for that, they earned a fair bit back from me on that short walk.

• Like 2

Did Rodgers do that irritating arm in the air celebration at Swansea or is it a recent affectation?

A fact proven by that inside Liverpool documentary that was on a few years ago, which showed the inside of Brendan Rogers houserodgers1_2332799c.jpg

Jesus Christ

A fact proven by that inside Liverpool documentary that was on a few years ago, which showed the inside of Brendan Rogers houserodgers1_2332799c.jpg
Jesus Christ

For the last time, he asked you not to call him that. That's for God to decide.

• Like 3

Fair play to Rodgers after the game. Very dignified in defeat and admitted the better team won. No complaints there.

His own horrific substitution bringing on Ballotelli didn't help either. Villa dominated the second half and Liverpool's midfield were hopeless. Gerrard was a passenger. Rodgers always tries to be positive but he could only praise Villa because Liverpool were thoroughly outplayed.

And with 89mins 50 seconds on the clock he brings Rickie Lambert on. What a clown.

Â