Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

On 06/05/2022 at 10:28, NoelVilla said:

O'Neill thread bumped and posts in Gabby's thread. I think maybe Gabby's problem was the MON-regime and how unprofessional it was and he became accustomed to that.

Absolutely this. It was old school and Gabby thrived in that for 3 seasons. Then he stuck around and imbibed the club with that attitude because thats how he thought it should be. 

Garde tried to bin him off but ultimately the club was rotten from top to bottom and I'm convinced Gabby was a huge part of the dressing room poison that we heard about for years.

• Like 2

On 06/05/2022 at 14:10, villa4europe said:

Same for me

Hard to know exactly how or why it went wrong with him, perfect storm of shitness after MON left, maybe he reached the point where he'd made too much money and had too big a contract to give a **** anymore, maybe it was injuries and losing that yard of pace, maybe MON tickled his bollocks in a way that houllier didnt, maybe he was always just lazy and based on talksport maybe he always enjoyed a drink, based on his retirement maybe he didn't actually enjoy football that much

The thing for me is that no one at the club ever got hold of him properly, no one sorted his diet or seemingly his gym programme out, my completely baseless tin hat conspiracy theory is that ged having worked with Owen and seen him go to shit after injuries took his speed told gabby to bulk up and add more to his game, gabby nor the club controlled it and he royally **** it up and then stopped giving a shit and stole a living 

Either way I do think whoever made the decision to bulk up has a lot to answer for and the clubs lack of professionalism is every bit as bad as his, where was our fitness team and coaching staff while he was piling weight on? 

It was the summer of 2009 when he bulked up.

MON was still manager. I remember being at the Wigan game (when Rodallega scored a worldie) and in the warm-up fans who hadn't seen any pre-season were pointing at him and asking who it was, because he literally looked like a different person.

MON made some comments at the time.

https://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/villa-boss-oneill-says-gym-junkie-agbonlahor-still-improving-284321

Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill says hours in the gym this summer will pay-off for striker Gabby Agbonlahor.

O'Neill said: "Look at him, he is physically stronger now than he has ever been. I must admit he has been doing a lot of weights.

"While they can be very beneficial, sometimes there is a stage when you decide 'I'm as strong as I can be'.

"Overall I think in terms of strength he is as strong as he should be and can be.

"Now he wants to go and develop the other aspects of the game that will stand him in great stead.

"The important issues of holding it up, coming off players, being able to turn, getting shots at goal and making chances for others."

Agbonlahor burst on to the scene because of his electric pace but O'Neill does not feel the extra muscles are affecting his speed - yet.

He added: "So far I wouldn't have thought it would have affected his speed, which is a bit of a concern of mine.

He had an alright 2009/10 season in terms of goals, but I think change in body shape was when he lost some of his ability to drift out wide and beat defenders with the ball at his feet. He could still outsprint anyone in a straight foot race, but he lost that really dangerous first 5 yards which was what caused defenders problems.

Massive shame, as I always thought he was quite underrated, and could have had an excellent career.

Don't think any Premier League club would allow this to happen to one of their players nowadays.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Absolutely this. It was old school and Gabby thrived in that for 3 seasons. Then he stuck around and imbibed the club with that attitude because thats how he thought it should be. 

Garde tried to bin him off but ultimately the club was rotten from top to bottom and I'm convinced Gabby was a huge part of the dressing room poison that we heard about for years.

He was an utter disgrace. Far more guilty that Delph, Barry and others. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, KentVillan said:

It was the summer of 2009 when he bulked up.

MON was still manager. I remember being at the Wigan game (when Rodallega scored a worldie) and in the warm-up fans who hadn't seen any pre-season were pointing at him and asking who it was, because he literally looked like a different person.

MON made some comments at the time.

https://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/villa-boss-oneill-says-gym-junkie-agbonlahor-still-improving-284321

He had an alright 2009/10 season in terms of goals, but I think change in body shape was when he lost some of his ability to drift out wide and beat defenders with the ball at his feet. He could still outsprint anyone in a straight foot race, but he lost that really dangerous first 5 yards which was what caused defenders problems.

Massive shame, as I always thought he was quite underrated, and could have had an excellent career.

Don't think any Premier League club would allow this to happen to one of their players nowadays.

Even Houllier (RIP) said the same thing:

"When you build up too much it affects your joints and muscle. The fact is, I think he should stop – he's too stocky. The Gabby I saw when I was watching TV in France was different from what I see here. He was thinner, more wiry and wow, quick. Yes, I've told him to lay off the weights. Sometimes they do too much."

And shockingly what happened next - he had major injury issues in the first half of 2010. He also did his best to undermine the rot MON's style of management had set in - criticising Houllier for trying to change the playing culture - switching from 4-4-2 counter attacking play to more possession-based play, dropping other problem players like Dunne.

It would have interesting if Spurs or Arsenal made serious bids for him when in his prime if he would have stuck around.

18 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Cannot stand the bloke.

Anyone calling him a Villa 'Legend' needs to give their head a wobble (not so much on here tbf).

Wobble wobble goes my head.  Whatever he has said and done lately, I can't deny he is a Villa legend. Top scorer for the club. I remember  his goals and his 100% effort. I remember him changing the game against the Noses more than once. He is a legend who has lost the plot 

1 hour ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Wobble wobble goes my head.  Whatever he has said and done lately, I can't deny he is a Villa legend. Top scorer for the club. I remember  his goals and his 100% effort. I remember him changing the game against the Noses more than once. He is a legend who has lost the plot 

You lost me at 100% effort

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I remember speaking to him, he used to come in to my old place of work, I collected his car a few times for service, as he lived not far from me in Four oaks. He used to say he couldn't run anymore due to lactic acid in his legs that he never used to get. He laughed the one day saying it must be due to his drinking and excess partying, I don't think he was wrong there though. Also used to talk about his days with O'Neil, how he used to be treated as top boy. Don't think he ever got over him leaving, he hated Lambert and just could not get on with him, Darren Bent said the same.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

He is not top scorer for the club which keeps getting said about him

He is the top scorer in a competition that started in 1992

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Even then its still one of the saddest indictments of our club 

Says a lot more bad about us than it does good about him 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Hes 8th on the  list. Pongo Waring scored 158 from 216 matches. We never have good strikers that stick around long to break records. if Watkins sticks around  he will break our Premier League record. 

38 minutes ago, villa89 said:

It's not. Football wasn't invented in 1992 by sky. 

It is 

Gabby is out top scorer in the last 30 years 

That's not good enough be it because we've largely been shit or because we've moved players on if they were any good but our leading scorer has 72 (?) goals

Nearly as bad as the stat that we haven't had a 20 league goal in a top flight season striker since withe 40 years ago

Both are a sad indictment 

• Like 1

On the legend question I dont think qe have had a Villa legend on the pitch in a long time. The only person at Villa in the 2000s to be considered is probably Dean Smith for getting us out of the Championship 

• Like 1

Â