Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It's mad that he only scored 76 goals for Villa. Ever.

Really good strikers knock that out in 2 seasons.

Steve Bruce has more career goals than Gabby

Averaged 0.23 goals per match in the PL. 

His regression was staggering. I can only recall 3 seasons where he scored more than 10 league goals. 

30 minutes ago, Zatman said:

West Ham have Antonio with I think 51 goals

Everton another would expect would have a player on the list

Gabby has 74. I'd also add that he played quite a number of games on the wing and largely played for a dreadful side once all of the better players were sold around him.

I think its a real shame how it all ended for Gabby to be honest. The derby goals and his better years all seem to be completely forgotten because he turned out to be the idiot that we all knew him to be from the start.

I'd rather remember the good times he gave us until Lerner lost interest in the club to be honest. Some of my favourite moments watching Villa centre around Gabby (I'm thinking of winners at The Hawthorns, St Andrews and Old Trafford in particular). 

• Like 3

Was finished as a footballer after Lamberts second season, never really came back from that injury he got falling over the advertising boards against Liverpool. He'd been in OK form though for a year or so leading up to that.

If he'd left after that season we'd all have a very different view of his time at the club. Everything that came after that point has tainted things badly really.

Part of his problem is that football changed and as he lost a bit of pace his limitations got exposed. He was useful as a second striker supporting Carew, but never had the technical ability to play up front alone or as a wide forward.

20 minutes ago, Xela said:

It all ended in a pile of shit, but I'm not going to forget he was a very effective player for us at his peak. He was good enough for England. 

Same for me

Hard to know exactly how or why it went wrong with him, perfect storm of shitness after MON left, maybe he reached the point where he'd made too much money and had too big a contract to give a **** anymore, maybe it was injuries and losing that yard of pace, maybe MON tickled his bollocks in a way that houllier didnt, maybe he was always just lazy and based on talksport maybe he always enjoyed a drink, based on his retirement maybe he didn't actually enjoy football that much

The thing for me is that no one at the club ever got hold of him properly, no one sorted his diet or seemingly his gym programme out, my completely baseless tin hat conspiracy theory is that ged having worked with Owen and seen him go to shit after injuries took his speed told gabby to bulk up and add more to his game, gabby nor the club controlled it and he royally **** it up and then stopped giving a shit and stole a living 

Either way I do think whoever made the decision to bulk up has a lot to answer for and the clubs lack of professionalism is every bit as bad as his, where was our fitness team and coaching staff while he was piling weight on? 

• Like 2

Just now, icouldtelltheworld said:

never really came back from that injury he got falling over the advertising boards against Liverpool. He'd been in OK form though for a year or so leading up to that.

He was unplayable that game up until that point, from memory we were winning, maybe even 2 up and went on to draw, he was smashing them

• Like 2

Agbonlahor's problem was the champagne and the women, he's admitted that.

Alcohol and in particular the champagne had a physical effect on his body which he could never repair.

I liked him in his pomp, what a great few seasons he had and his pace was frightening but he was stealing a living at the end.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

He was unplayable that game up until that point, from memory we were winning, maybe even 2 up and went on to draw, he was smashing them

We were all over them and they just couldn't handle him. Remember him having an excellent game the season before in the Sunderland 6-1 game too. Sad how it all turned out 

O'Neill thread bumped and posts in Gabby's thread. I think maybe Gabby's problem was the MON-regime and how unprofessional it was and he became accustomed to that.

• Like 1

Has been said before that the decline of Villa and the decline of Gabby pretty much went hand in hand. Now that we are on the up, he has somehow got a job on TV and became important again

• 1 month later...

Where to start... 

5 point plan on the graphics but he's talking about a step plan 

Get more out of the youngsters but not get more out of the 2 strikers we have which basically means step 2 would negate step 1

The more clean sheets thing makes no mention of the holding midfielder which is out biggest defensive problem and in theory we've fixed 

Step 5 on how to get in to Europe... Get in to Europe... That doesn't make sense

He gets paid for this shit

And the worst thing about that - when we have clowns like Danny Murphy talk about us it's blatant that he doesn't actually watch us play 

Gabby is probably the most vocal villa voice in the media now colly ore is wherever he is, listening to that would you say gabby actually watches us play? I'm not convinced 

10 hours ago, villa4europe said:

And the worst thing about that - when we have clowns like Danny Murphy talk about us it's blatant that he doesn't actually watch us play 

Gabby is probably the most vocal villa voice in the media now colly ore is wherever he is, listening to that would you say gabby actually watches us play? I'm not convinced 

I am not even convinced he’s a villa supporter. Awhile back they asked him how many times we had won the FA Cup and he said twice

Â