Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

29 minutes ago, av1 said:

like any transfer, the player has to agree to the move. Gabby stopped caring about football years ago, so i think its highly unlikely he with leave the club if it means a significant drop in wages. 

When you consider his performances over the last couple of years i also think its is highly unlikely that any European club would be willing to part with a "million or two", plus his (reputed) £60k weekly salary. In fact, I'm not convinced he could command that sort of salary from a European club even if we were to give him away on a free. 

I think our hope of getting rid of him, let alone receiving a fee, is that there is interest from the middle east or china.  

botany bay:)

Edited by TRO

I don't think he's ever had a season where he's been consistently good. Sure his best form was under MON and it was a hell of a lot better than the last few years but he's always been limited.

Poor finisher who without pace would not have made it as a pro footballer.

He's never been anywhere near the level that vardy has shown this season. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

I don't think he's ever had a season where he's been consistently good. Sure his best form was under MON and it was a hell of a lot better than the last few years but he's always been limited.

Yet he played for England three times and Gary Shaw along with Dennis Mortimer never did. :o 

To be fair most of our English players during the MON era got call ups for whatever reason. Wasn't there a time where there were like 6 players in the England squad that were Villa players? At one point in recent history we were a club in high demand, I am sure Gabby just got the call up not to feel left out lol. 

Wasn't there rumours at the time of the smoking in Dubai thing that Gabby was partly out there as he was meeting to discuss a summer move to the UAE league? Could just be Twitter guff I'm remembering but it sounded plausible at the time, I mean we were as good as down and he clearly doesn't want to be here as much as we don't want him here 

6 hours ago, John said:

Yet he played for England three times and Gary Shaw along with Dennis Mortimer never did. :o 

Completely different eras. I'm certainly not old enough to remember mortimer and Co but I doubt there was friendly upon friendly where you could sample the likes of Michael ricketts.

Gabby played a couple of games and was woefully out of his depth.

5 hours ago, skarroki said:

Wasn't there rumours at the time of the smoking in Dubai thing that Gabby was partly out there as he was meeting to discuss a summer move to the UAE league? Could just be Twitter guff I'm remembering but it sounded plausible at the time, I mean we were as good as down and he clearly doesn't want to be here as much as we don't want him here 

Milner

Young

Barry

Gabby

Warnock 

Downing?

Edit: sorry was meant to quote the post highlighting the six players. 

Edited by Woodytom

3 hours ago, Woodytom said:

Completely different eras. I'm certainly not old enough to remember mortimer and Co but I doubt there was friendly upon friendly where you could sample the likes of Michael ricketts.

Gabby played a couple of games and was woefully out of his depth.

No caps were harder earned back then particularly if you happened to play for us. 

Just now, PieFacE said:

I do remember Gabby hitting the crossbar for England. Decent strike too.

But yeah... GTFO. 

I'd love that as his claim to fame:

"Gabby Agbonlahor - hit the crossbar for England once"

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TRO said:

I hope you don't mind if i disagree with you

He was never perfect for us....I think Gabby equals hyperbole.

the two best players as you put it can be replicated by Andy Gray, Peter Withe for the older ones Gerry Hitchins.....Dean Saunders had more ability for me.

its not a one off comment as you imply

He was a very important player in the MON system. Someone that gave Carew and Young a bit more space with to work with.

He was a fundamental part of a team that got 6th three seasons in a row and should've finished higher in two of those seasons with a bigger squad of players that would've been actually used.

Maybe that's the crux though...even then Gabby was guaranteed a place and always went off the boil after xmas when really he should've been rested for a bit. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Woodytom said:

I never said he had a Vardy lite season.

I said if you watch any of the games around 2007-08 you'll notice a young energetic player on the right so he certainly had Vardy qualities back then in terms of workrate and general enthusiasm for the game he certainly dosen't have now. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Woodytom said:

Milner

Young

Barry

Gabby

Warnock 

Downing?

Edit: sorry was meant to quote the post highlighting the six players. 

was Curtis Davies I think it was

• Like 1

Â