Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

8 minutes ago, Jimbop said:

VillaChris - I just went and clicked through that game for 15 minutes or so and now I feel like crying.

Laursen winning almost everything (I think a prime Didier Drogba might have won a couple of headers.. back then he was a monster), Mellberg throwing himself at balls when being played out of his favoured position, no moaning no fuss just 100% commitment. Gareth Barry throwing his weight about in midfield & picking passes, Young and Gabby pouring forward at every opportunity, willing to go left or right on their man and looking like they've only been on for 5 minutes in the 85th minute such was their fitness.

I had no idea how lucky I was watching that team back then.

Yep Chelsea had a fantastic team in those days, we were starting to build under MON.

Exciting times and positivity at the ground in those days and it rubbed off on the players.

Hopefully it won't be too long until we can get that back again under the new ownership.

42 minutes ago, Richard said:

bye flabby

Is this said in hope or expectation? Have you heard any rumblings from behind the scenes? (I don't mean rumblings from Gabby's stomach before anyone says)

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, useless said:

Hopefully we've got a good sum for him. I suppose getting him of the wage bill will be a financial boost in of itself.

Hold on. Have I missed something? Has someone made a bid?

7 hours ago, Mic09 said:

I went to a VP tour on Satrday and the guide was saying some interesting things about Gabby. Apparently as all the players stay in the players lounge before the game, have some food etc Gabby never did for the last 2/3 years. Always late, never wanted to speak to anyone. This was very different to what he mentioned of the subjects such as Bacuna who just didn't give a crap and laughed after a lost game. Gabby just wasnt there. 

I wonder, what has caused him to be so far removed from his team?

Methinks that Guide may be offloading information they're not supposed to be offloading!

2 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Hope this moves to 'other football' soon now.

Gabby isn't even worthy to be part of a topic with the word 'football' in it, tbf.

• Like 1

On 14 June 2016 at 10:21, VillaChris said:

And yet someone like Grealish can't praise him enough as a "role model"....I wonder why...

It's like CNZ for me, fame, money, women, you lose desire for football as a result particularly given he's never really been in any danger of losing his Mr Aston Villa status until the shambles of this season.

I see Gabby as one of those robots that just malfunctions over a period of time. He never used to be like this, he was fantastic under O'Neill for example and such a key player for how we played at the time. He still had spells of good form under Lambert although there were plenty of signs he was declining under his reign.

On the excellent Villaboy Youtube channel, there's the full game of Villa 2 Chelsea 0 from August 2007. Have a watch of that and come back with an appraisal of Gabby's performance.

A long time ago of course but really watching him then is like chalk and cheese, so much desire, effort, work rate, all those things people praise Vardy for.

Sadly it got eroded over time.

He was never as good as Vardy even in his pomp......He never scored goals every week like Vardy did and never had the nose to run in to the right positions....he had straight line pace.

He was never fantastic either.

in my humble opinion not as good as Little or shaw.....and ironically has probably scored more goals for the club.....proves to me stats only illustrate so much, not the whole thing.

• Like 2

On 14 June 2016 at 16:45, meme said:

Gabby isn't even worthy to be part of a topic with the word 'football' in it, tbf.

That's not very fair. I'm sure he could recommend a good takeaway to enjoy while watching football 

If he's under contract then I think we'll get some money for him, might only be a million or two. Unless we just want rid as soon as possible and are going to pay up the rest of his contract.

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

He was never as good as Vardy even in his pomp......He never scored goals every week like Vardy did and never had the nose to run in to the right positions....he had straight line pace.

He was never fantastic either.

in my humble opinion not as good as Little or shaw.....and ironically has probably scored more goals for the club.....proves to me stats only illustrate so much, not the whole thing.

Probably never as good as Vardy last season no, but I'd be surprised if Vardy ever has as season like that again. Agbonlahor has yet to play a season of football outside of the Premier League, Vardy has two in it.

He was perfect for us in MON's 4-3-3, a real threat who worried every team he ever played against.

Not as good as two of our best ever players? Criminal.

It's time for Gabby to go, but for a time, he was well worth a place in any Premier League squad.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Probably never as good as Vardy last season no, but I'd be surprised if Vardy ever has as season like that again. Agbonlahor has yet to play a season of football outside of the Premier League, Vardy has two in it.

He was perfect for us in MON's 4-3-3, a real threat who worried every team he ever played against.

Not as good as two of our best ever players? Criminal.

It's time for Gabby to go, but for a time, he was well worth a place in any Premier League squad.

I hope you don't mind if i disagree with you

He was never perfect for us....I think Gabby equals hyperbole.

the two best players as you put it can be replicated by Andy Gray, Peter Withe for the older ones Gerry Hitchins.....Dean Saunders had more ability for me.

its not a one off comment as you imply

23 minutes ago, useless said:

If he's under contract then I think we'll get some money for him, might only be a million or two. Unless we just want rid as soon as possible and are going to pay up the rest of his contract.

like any transfer, the player has to agree to the move. Gabby stopped caring about football years ago, so i think its highly unlikely he with leave the club if it means a significant drop in wages. 

When you consider his performances over the last couple of years i also think its is highly unlikely that any European club would be willing to part with a "million or two", plus his (reputed) £60k weekly salary. In fact, I'm not convinced he could command that sort of salary from a European club even if we were to give him away on a free. 

I think our hope of getting rid of him, let alone receiving a fee, is that there is interest from the middle east or china.  

Â