Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

It's not battle lines or an argument, it's just standard VT belittling of absolutely anything the current non-flavour of the month does. It's been Grealish, Lescott, Richards, Guzan, Bacuna and now Agbonlahor.

The overwhelming reaction has been one of "£1,000 is sod all to him. What a tool". Just ridiculous - yet expected :crylaugh:

• Like 1

On Saturday, June 18, 2016 at 08:40, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

for those who attacked me as childish and pathetic. Trentvilla above has better articulated my point exactly. Sums up my feelings perfectly and maybe makes it easier for others to understand my point. Thanks Trentvilla

2 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

for those who attacked me as childish and pathetic. Trentvilla above has better articulated my point exactly. Sums up my feelings perfectly and maybe makes it easier for others to understand my point. Thanks Trentvilla

You are welcome mate, happy to stand with you on this one.

On 17/06/2016 at 11:06, Delphinho123 said:

If Gabby could lose 3/4 stone, trim down on all the muscle and become as lean as he was when he was 22/23, he'd be an absolute weapon for us next year.

He wont though, he's made his money and has no motivation to do so,.

Shame, as getting rid will be hard. 

I was watching this yesterday and thinking Gabby would still be very useful if he was as trim as this now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

The issue isn't with VT or those that post on it the issue is with the premis of the article that conveyed the story.

The story had the title "The other side of Villa's Gabby Agbonlahor", intentionally or otherwise that headline is implying a level of balance in his actions and was always likely to prove to be inflammatory to a fan base angry at him and still raw from relegation.

Saying donating shows his other side suggests "look I know his attitude and conduct was terrible last season but look he made a donation he isn't a complete right off".

The problem is the gesture, nice though it is does absolute nothing to redeem him in post people's eyes let alone act as a counter balance to his ills.

Then you have the value of his donation, not a small amount by a normal mans standards but it is a tiny sum for someone who earns around 56 times that amount each week.

This wasn't some grand gesture, it wasn't akin to the likes of Craig Bellemy setting up charitable foundations or Beckham donating a years salary at PSG to children's charities. It was the equivalent of one of us putting our loose change in a collection tin when we just dropped a few hundred quid on something.

Its a decent gesture, it's kind, the value of the donation shouldn't be judged and it's a good thing to do. But let's not pretend that I'm somehow doing so it makes some grand statement about character or in any way redeems past wrongs.

If he average man on the street has been a complete whopper and then gives £3.00 to cancer research would people say 'see he ain't that bad really, that's the other side to the guy' would they balls they'd still think him a whopper.

That is the issue here, that is why people talk about the size of his donation because it's relevant to the topic at hand rising from the utterly ridiculous headline on the article.

Now if Gabby said 'I'm giving 3 months salary to X because I want to do something to help and let's face it I didn't earn it' then that would be a different side to him and be treated very differently. Not just because of the value, though it would help, but because it might actually start to balance things out a little more.

As it is he remains in most people's eyes a disgrace to the shirt, a charlatan of a footballer and frankly a bit of a judus given he is supposed to be one of us.

But the Mail got what they wanted from the click bait headline getting a reaction to what was ultimately a non story.

Exactly. I mean Thomas Mair used to do his mums shopping for her. Doesn't make him a stand up citizen. Obviously not comparing him to Mair. I just want Gabby gone.  I've said for about 3 years now that as soon as Gabby is gone we will see an upturn in our fortunes. He's like a cancer within the side. He sums everything wrong with football and our squad/club in the last few years.

4 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Exactly. I mean Thomas Mair used to do his mums shopping for her. Doesn't make him a stand up citizen. Obviously not comparing him to Mair. I just want Gabby gone.  I've said for about 3 years now that as soon as Gabby is gone we will see an upturn in our fortunes. He's like a cancer within the side. He sums everything wrong with football and our squad/club in the last few years.

Hitler reference in 3, 2, 1...

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

The issue isn't with VT or those that post on it the issue is with the premis of the article that conveyed the story.

The story had the title "The other side of Villa's Gabby Agbonlahor", intentionally or otherwise that headline is implying a level of balance in his actions and was always likely to prove to be inflammatory to a fan base angry at him and still raw from relegation.

Saying donating shows his other side suggests "look I know his attitude and conduct was terrible last season but look he made a donation he isn't a complete right off".

The problem is the gesture, nice though it is does absolute nothing to redeem him in post people's eyes let alone act as a counter balance to his ills.

Then you have the value of his donation, not a small amount by a normal mans standards but it is a tiny sum for someone who earns around 56 times that amount each week.

This wasn't some grand gesture, it wasn't akin to the likes of Craig Bellemy setting up charitable foundations or Beckham donating a years salary at PSG to children's charities. It was the equivalent of one of us putting our loose change in a collection tin when we just dropped a few hundred quid on something.

Its a decent gesture, it's kind, the value of the donation shouldn't be judged and it's a good thing to do. But let's not pretend that I'm somehow doing so it makes some grand statement about character or in any way redeems past wrongs.

If he average man on the street has been a complete whopper and then gives £3.00 to cancer research would people say 'see he ain't that bad really, that's the other side to the guy' would they balls they'd still think him a whopper.

That is the issue here, that is why people talk about the size of his donation because it's relevant to the topic at hand rising from the utterly ridiculous headline on the article.

Now if Gabby said 'I'm giving 3 months salary to X because I want to do something to help and let's face it I didn't earn it' then that would be a different side to him and be treated very differently. Not just because of the value, though it would help, but because it might actually start to balance things out a little more.

As it is he remains in most people's eyes a disgrace to the shirt, a charlatan of a footballer and frankly a bit of a judus given he is supposed to be one of us.

But the Mail got what they wanted from the click bait headline getting a reaction to what was ultimately a non story.

2 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

It has definitely been said much, much better, however my point was it was not even as if Gabby was the one who exposed it, the people tweeted him, and he responded. Also, it is not the first time he has done charitable things, and has in fact been a very active part of all the campaigns over the years.

I simply posted it as it was news, and this is the Gabby thread, it was completely unnecessary for it to go off on the tangent it did. It was in no way meant as an attempt to exonerate performances on the pitch or recent behavior off it. I mean, if Nzogbia had done the same I would have posted it and still wouldn't expect the ridiculous vitriol.

Our fans have a knack of going full lynch mob on players barring anything (although this could probably apply to many fans).

Either way water under the bridge, let's try and get to something positive hey?

37 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It has definitely been said much, much better, however my point was it was not even as if Gabby was the one who exposed it, the people tweeted him, and he responded. Also, it is not the first time he has done charitable things, and has in fact been a very active part of all the campaigns over the years.

I simply posted it as it was news, and this is the Gabby thread, it was completely unnecessary for it to go off on the tangent it did. It was in no way meant as an attempt to exonerate performances on the pitch or recent behavior off it. I mean, if Nzogbia had done the same I would have posted it and still wouldn't expect the ridiculous vitriol.

Our fans have a knack of going full lynch mob on players barring anything (although this could probably apply to many fans).

More than happy to mate just thought calling me childish and pathetic may have been taking my opinion a bit too personally but happy to accept i chose to write a concise statement that didnt outline my thoughts very well.... here's hoping for happy times ahead. We all support the Villa proudly. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

But Gabby hasn't said anything.

He's not making out to be some grand gesture. In fact nobody is apart from the people who received it who seem to be very very happy with his contribution.

The only people offering this as some sort of balance, is whoever wrote that article.

So I don't think the size of the donation is relevant to the topic. He probably donated that without a second though or any want of recognition. For all we know he might donate thousands to charity every month.

This seems to be a case of someone publicly thanking Agbonlahor for a nice gesture, which has drawn people's attention to it, and those people then slate him for it.

He probably does this all the time but attention never gets drawn to it.

I'm rambling. Basically, as shite as gabby has been this season, people finding it within them to criticise him for donating £1000 to charity is, frankly, completely **** ridiculous.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But Gabby hasn't said anything.

He's not making out to be some grand gesture. In fact nobody is apart from the people who received it who seem to be very very happy with his contribution.

The only people offering this as some sort of balance, is whoever wrote that article.

So I don't think the size of the donation is relevant to the topic. He probably donated that without a second though or any want of recognition. For all we know he might donate thousands to charity every month.

This seems to be a case of someone publicly thanking Agbonlahor for a nice gesture, which has drawn people's attention to it, and those people then slate him for it.

He probably does this all the time but attention never gets drawn to it.

I'm rambling. Basically, as shite as gabby has been this season, people finding it within them to criticise him for donating £1000 to charity is, frankly, completely **** ridiculous.

You seem to be responding to my post but not the points I've made, I've not suggested he has said anything or that he has sort any kind of recognition for it neither have I been critical of him for the amount donated or for donating.

My criticism is mainly directed at the headline to the article and explaining why the gesture and/or article make no difference at all to how I view him and why the amount is a factor in that irrespective of if he sort recognition or otherwise. 

To be clear, I don't see this as a reason to be critical of Gabby but rather not a reason to think any better of him.

• Like 1

Just now, TrentVilla said:

You seem to be responding to my post but not the points I've made, I've not suggested he has said anything or that he has sort any kind of recognition for it neither have I been critical of him for the amount donated or for donating.

My criticism is mainly directed at the headline to the article and explaining why the gesture and/or article make no difference at all to how I view him and why the amount is a factor in that irrespective of if he sort recognition or otherwise. 

To be clear, I don't see this as a reason to be critical of Gabby but rather not a reason to think any better of him.

Yeah sorry, I quoted you but it was more a general point. I guess the bit in your post I was talking about was the headline part, where I was really agreeing with you by saying Gabby hasn't said anything.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I certainly wasn't being critical of you or anyone else posting it, all I was trying to do was explain why some reacted as they did and i guess justify some of the positions taken.

As for our fans, I hate the notion that any one set of fans is any different to any other they aren't. Football fans are the same up and down the land, what is different is their experience and tolerance all that is different is circumstance. For instance once Liverpool and Man Utd hit tough times they were calling for managers heads despite claiming to be different to all other fans for years but a bad spell, like we all endure and they were the same.

The stuff we've put up with for 6 years has left many with a low threshold for the sort of antics Gabby got up to last season and so he doesn't get much slack same as he wouldn't elsewhere in the same circumstances. Obviously if we were sitting 6th in the league things might be a little different.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Spot on sir. Eloquent and to the point. Sums it up exactly for me.

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, villakram said:

Every time I see this thread in the sidebar I get a little giddy thinking we're finally rid. Another disappointing day, thanks! 

I was just about to post something similar..... LOL

• Like 1

Â