Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Not according to what I have heard. He's sold his house in Little Aston (fact) and he is going to the Middle East to play (per my ITK contact). That is why he was there when the 'pipe' incident took place.

That is good news, Harry. Long past time he moved on.

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Not according to what I have heard. He's sold his house in Little Aston (fact) and he is going to the Middle East to play (per my ITK contact). That is why he was there when the 'pipe' incident took place.

What is stopping him from signing a contract and **** off then?

After all that has happened, he is still here, he is still under contract. The season has been dead for months and still no mention of  a move.

Unless we sack him or pay him off he isn't going anywhere.

49 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he is sticking around as he's still expecting a testimonial.

Edited by choffer

4 hours ago, choffer said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he is sticking around as he's still expecting a testimonial.

Why would he? I don't think he'd be able to put any testimonials written by Villa fans to good use in any way.

Possibly he'd appreciate a testimonial dinner, but I can't see it. "Table for one, sir?"

5 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

After all that has happened, he is still here, he is still under contract. The season has been dead for months and still no mention of  a move.

Unless we sack him or pay him off he isn't going anywhere.

Would not be surprised if new owners pay him off - or give him a lump sum to encourage him to move.  I hope that happens anyway.  Nothing against the guy - he is what he is.  I just don't think he is good enough, or hungry enough, anymore.

... oh, a testimonial game:crylaugh:

IMO, that kind of game is an utter absurdity in the days of modern multi-million wage football, as players really shouldn't need any additional help to set them up for life after their professional career - provided they have even half-decent advisers or, indeed, any kind of brains themselves. 

In the past, clubs occasionally bought a pub for loyal players at the end of their active career to help them out. I don't think Gabby needs any additional money thrown at him from Aston Villa beyond his wages.

But if there absolutely has to be a game: a testimonial is held after ten years. Well, then: let him play the 1st half to the best of his ability (hah!). Then, after the break, his side play for the entirety of the second half with ten men. No Gabby to be seen anywhere.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Errr, much as we want him to f*** off, he is under contract to us.........

And we have to agree the transfer fee with the buyers - and we haven't got anyone to do that at the moment

Edited by TheStagMan

Testimonial? Jesus wept, most people would turn up just to protest i think.  Just give him a cheap gold plated watch and a framed print of a 'Spitfire'.......oh sorry, just been having a dream I was back in the 80's.  I've seen many a goodbye gift presented!

8 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

And we have to agree the transfer fee with the buyers - and we haven't got anyone to do that at the moment

A buyer and Gabby Agbonlahor not words that I am expecting to see anytime soon. Please if there is any team out there daft enough to want him- just come and take him now, I couldn't care less if we don't get a dime for him I just want him out of the villa now and end to the sorry saga once and for all.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

£0.00.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

I think rodders' point was that if Gabby wanted to leave, no-one at Villa would lift a finger to stop him, and he hasn't shown any sign to do so at this point in time. 

Of course, any transfer fee would be welcome, but it really is a moot point, isn't it? Getting rid of his wages is the important bit. And any club (any business, at that) needs to have someone in charge at any time - someone able to make business decisions and approve deals, even without a manager present.

Edited by TB
beaten by rodders himself by 3 seconds, and stated much more succinctly

1 hour ago, TB said:

... oh, a testimonial game:crylaugh:

IMO, that kind of game is an utter absurdity in the days of modern multi-million wage football, as players really shouldn't need any additional help to set them up for life after their professional career - provided they have even half-decent advisers or, indeed, any kind of brains themselves. 

In the past, clubs occasionally bought a pub for loyal players at the end of their active career to help them out. I don't think Gabby needs any additional money thrown at him from Aston Villa beyond his wages.

But if there absolutely has to be a game: a testimonial is held after ten years. Well, then: let him play the 1st half to the best of his ability (hah!). Then, after the break, his side play for the entirety of the second half with ten men. No Gabby to be seen anywhere.

Is that what it was originally for? I always thought that it was just a sort of show of appreciation for being a 1 club man or a hero at the club. I forget that 20 odd years ago if you retired from the top flight at say 35 you might not be set up for life.

Caveat: I'm Norwegian, so I only know the English game (and its history) from the outside, and I'm sure there'll be someone around this site more acquainted with the concept, but nevertheless:

AFAIK an testimonial/benefit match (not necessarily after 10 years) originally was arranged in order to give a long-serving player an economical base for the rest of his life. (Flashback: apparently the wage cap in 1959 was £20 p/w for any football player in England. During the football season. In 1945: £10 p/w in-season, £7 p/w off-season.)

I remember reading about a benefit match where the player was promised £250 before the match (yes, a very, very long time ago), and the directors of the club ended up having to pay out of their own pocket due to very few spectators actually turning up.

Of course the club wouldn't arrange this kind of game for any bit-part player, so the show of appreciation bit was there from the outset. Nowadays, the show of appreciation for a player having spent ten years at the same club has emerged as the most important part. Modern-era players don't / shouldn't really need that kind of economical help. Most do want the accolade, though, even if they don't need the money. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TB said:

Why would he? I don't think he'd be able to put any testimonials written by Villa fans to good use in any way.

Possibly he'd appreciate a testimonial dinner, but I can't see it. "Table for one, sir?"

maybe the testimonial could be used as a pay-off ;) 

Â