Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I wonder if he ever reads this thread? 

I doubt he does. He has a hard time handling those dishing out the truth on his Instagram and Twitter. I don't see why he'd go out of his way to track down the Villa forums out there. This is where you go to find the most vocal and opinionated and passionate fans of the club, if you want to keep you happiness as a Villa player right now don't delve much deeper than Instagram it'll hurt. 

Genuine question, could we send him out on loan if we can't sell him?  Would help with wages, would get him out the squad, could give him game time in a lower division, could encourage a move, he may even rediscover some confidence.   

10 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

Genuine question, could we send him out on loan if we can't sell him?  Would help with wages, would get him out the squad, could give him game time in a lower division, could encourage a move, he may even rediscover some confidence.   

We could send him out on loan, but for that to happen we need the player and another club to show interest in the loan. I may be totally wrong but I get the impression that Gabby would rather not go on loan, and would probably not want to move on as he is in a comfortable place earning decent money for not doing a lot. He doesn't strike me as someone who loves the game, and wants to achieve things in the game.

3 hours ago, Ikantcpell said:

Villa are down and he is to fat to play, i dont want to see him in a villa shirt ever again,

This is the crux of it. Putting aside the fact he simply isn't very good, he is the club captain, the local lad made good, and in our hour of need the fat prat downed tools. 

There's an old saying 'It can take a lifetime to build a reputation, and 2 minutes to destroy one', this season has been Gabby's "2 minutes". As a sign that we are moving forward, and as a signal that the club will no longer carry its freeloaders, the club simply has to get rid of Gabby as a matter of urgency. 

2 hours ago, av1 said:

This is the crux of it. Putting aside the fact he simply isn't very good, he is the club captain, the local lad made good, and in our hour of need the fat prat downed tools. 

There's an old saying 'It can take a lifetime to build a reputation, and 2 minutes to destroy one', this season has been Gabby's "2 minutes". As a sign that we are moving forward, and as a signal that the club will no longer carry its freeloaders, the club simply has to get rid of Gabby as a matter of urgency. 

Couldn't have put it better myself. 

Let's face it, surrounded by such utter numpties it shouldn't actually have taken much to stand out in a positive way this season. I was still prepared to offer a qualified defence of him after he scored against Norwich. But to be suspended twice in a week for being, as you put it, a 'fat prat', is just beyond forgiveness. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Let's face it, surrounded by such utter numpties it shouldn't actually have taken much to stand out in a positive way this season. I was still prepared to offer a qualified defence of him after he scored against Norwich.

The same could be said for the whole team though. We didn't ask them to win every game, we didn't ask for dramatic comebacks, cups and European qualification. It would have been nice but we didn't expect it. 

All we truly asked for week in week out was a bit of fight and dedication. Gabby as "team captain/ambassador/whatever" utterly failed in his role of leading by example.

Sorry gabby, you had your chance. Now you're just chancing your arm. It's time to go in afraid. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, av1 said:

this season has been Gabby's "2 minutes".

It's a shame these two minutes have been replayed over and over for the past 4 seasons until he has probably destroyed infinite reputations.

Looking back to when I joined Villatalk (roughly ten years ago), I remember reading several comments on here about what particular part of his game young Gabby obviously had been working on during the summer break, thus potentially adding another string to his bow and (at some time in the future) not being merely a speed merchant anymore.

It seemed that each summer he had been working on a particular skill in order to augment his repertoire. At the time, I was impressed.

Then he chose to focus on his muscular strength over the summer, and not any of his remaining weaknesses, but I thought it was him wanting to improve even further as a footballer.

Nowadays? Ah well, these last seasons he surely has augmented something...

(But not his desire or ability to play, I'm afraid)

• Like 1

On 6/9/2016 at 20:29, TB said:

Looking back to when I joined Villatalk (roughly ten years ago), I remember reading several comments on here about what particular part of his game young Gabby obviously had been working on during the summer break, thus potentially adding another string to his bow and (at some time in the future) not being merely a speed merchant anymore.

It seemed that each summer he had been working on a particular skill in order to augment his repertoire. At the time, I was impressed.

Then he chose to focus on his muscular strength over the summer, and not any of his remaining weaknesses, but I thought it was him wanting to improve even further as a footballer.

Nowadays? Ah well, these last seasons he surely has augmented something...

(But not his desire or ability to play, I'm afraid)

To be honest i'm not sure that he's ever worked on any aspect of the game during a summer break-other than bulking up somewhat. In my view he's never been a good finisher, doesn't have a first touch, doesn't have much footballing nous, can't see a pass IMO and i personally don't think he's improved at all in 10 years- in fact if anything he's gone the other again IMO. Certainly agree with your final comments- for me lets just get rid and move on. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

To be honest i'm not sure that he's ever worked on any aspect of the game during a summer break-other than bulking up somewhat. In my view he's never been a good finisher, doesn't have a first touch, doesn't have much footballing nous, can't see a pass IMO and i personally don't think he's improved at all in 10 years- in fact if anything he's gone the other again IMO. Certainly agree with your final comments- for me lets just get rid and move on. 

Ditto

when i look at some the strikers we have had, who have not scored as many goals for the club as Gabby, ironically......its then that you see his shortcomings.....He always has been short of attributes and just relied on one or two, now they have dried up he is redundant as a striker.

Edited by TRO

On 09/06/2016 at 16:38, NeilS said:

We could send him out on loan, but for that to happen we need the player and another club to show interest in the loan. I may be totally wrong but I get the impression that Gabby would rather not go on loan, and would probably not want to move on as he is in a comfortable place earning decent money for not doing a lot. He doesn't strike me as someone who loves the game, and wants to achieve things in the game.

This

If he had even the slightest feeling for the club he would take the best loan he can find and see out his contract with someone else picking up half the tab. However I think he will be the new Zog and sit on bis @rse picking up his wages

Only chance is if he has a relegation clause and his wages reduce a lot and he gets an offer from Turkey,  MLS,  Middle or Far East. . One of those new money leagues if he gets an offer that say doubles his now reduced wages he might take the bait. Hopefully his reputation overseas is not quite as tarnished as it is with us and someone will just see him as an experienced PL striker who has been in his time a little bit of a name. 

I went to a VP tour on Satrday and the guide was saying some interesting things about Gabby. Apparently as all the players stay in the players lounge before the game, have some food etc Gabby never did for the last 2/3 years. Always late, never wanted to speak to anyone. This was very different to what he mentioned of the subjects such as Bacuna who just didn't give a crap and laughed after a lost game. Gabby just wasnt there. 

I wonder, what has caused him to be so far removed from his team?

50 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I guess he considers he has better things to do with his time such as smoking pipes, attending London night clubs, partying with friends, making tabloid headlines and working on his so called personal fitness programme. ;)

2 hours ago, Mic09 said:

I went to a VP tour on Satrday and the guide was saying some interesting things about Gabby. Apparently as all the players stay in the players lounge before the game, have some food etc Gabby never did for the last 2/3 years. Always late, never wanted to speak to anyone. This was very different to what he mentioned of the subjects such as Bacuna who just didn't give a crap and laughed after a lost game. Gabby just wasnt there. 

And yet someone like Grealish can't praise him enough as a "role model"....I wonder why...

It's like CNZ for me, fame, money, women, you lose desire for football as a result particularly given he's never really been in any danger of losing his Mr Aston Villa status until the shambles of this season.

I see Gabby as one of those robots that just malfunctions over a period of time. He never used to be like this, he was fantastic under O'Neill for example and such a key player for how we played at the time. He still had spells of good form under Lambert although there were plenty of signs he was declining under his reign.

On the excellent Villaboy Youtube channel, there's the full game of Villa 2 Chelsea 0 from August 2007. Have a watch of that and come back with an appraisal of Gabby's performance.

A long time ago of course but really watching him then is like chalk and cheese, so much desire, effort, work rate, all those things people praise Vardy for.

Sadly it got eroded over time.

• Like 1

Â