Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

He's a decent squad player and should be paid accordingly.

He's worth no more than 15-20k a week at a push. I think he's on 45k at the moment? Lucky, lucky boy.

I do like Gabby though and although he probably isn't good enough for our first team, I prefer him to Weimann and think he has certain attributes that make him useful. He's a good player to have away from home but at home, I can't remember his last decent game.

Does anybody know if there is a video out there showing the 12 goals Gabby got a couple seasons ago? I need to jog my memory and see if I can make more sense of his current transition as a player. I thought he held and moved the ball well against Newcastle, but he isn't exhibiting the tenacity that is so central to his game. He used to get into way more goal scoring positions and run the channels and run straight on at defenders at times leaving them fat on their arse. That said, I hope he recovers from this dip in form and shows us that he has still got it in him.

Despite him having a cumulative haul of goals....in terms of consistency he could'nt hold a candle to some of our stalwarts of the past.

Always been overrated for me......only by the fans at B6

Edited by TRO

Does anybody know if there is a video out there showing the 12 goals Gabby got a couple seasons ago? I need to jog my memory and see if I can make more sense of his current transition as a player. I thought he held and moved the ball well against Newcastle, but he isn't exhibiting the tenacity that is so central to his game. He used to get into way more goal scoring positions and run the channels and run straight on at defenders at times leaving them fat on their arse. That said, I hope he recovers from this dip in form and shows us that he has still got it in him.

I don't think it's considered a dip when it late this long to be honest

At the time his wages at the signing of his contract were justified.  He was 24 and was scoring more goals year on year.  We were doing alright too.

In hindsight, he's been expensive the last 2 years, but had we lost him when he signed, the club would have been lynched.

He just needs to take a £10,000 pay cut.

At the time his wages at the signing of his contract were justified.  He was 24 and was scoring more goals year on year.  We were doing alright too.

In hindsight, he's been expensive the last 2 years, but had we lost him when he signed, the club would have been lynched.

£10k, yeah. and the rest.

I can't wait until Bent and Gabby's £120k a week wages are off the books.

At the time his wages at the signing of his contract were justified. He was 24 and was scoring more goals year on year. We were doing alright too.

£10k, yeah. and the rest.

I can't wait until Bent and Gabby's £120k a week wages are off the books.

Probably more like £140k a week, depressing stuff.

He took the Sunderland and Swansea goals well enough last season aswell. That's why people are OTT saying he's the worst finisher they've ever seen, Vassell was much poorer one on one imo.

But Gabby just dosen't look a goal threat and I think once Bent is fit he's probably out of the team. He also won't get a new deal anywhere near what he's on currently so I reckon this is his last year here.

He's a decent squad player and should be paid accordingly.

He's worth no more than 15-20k a week at a push. I think he's on 45k at the moment? Lucky, lucky boy.

I do like Gabby though and although he probably isn't good enough for our first team, I prefer him to Weimann and think he has certain attributes that make him useful. He's a good player to have away from home but at home, I can't remember his last decent game.

It seems to me he's being rewarded for his loyalty and not his quality. It's not my money so I don't have a major issue.

I like to think of him as that very average teacher that has been at the school for 40 years and has been racking up the bonuses for being there so long.

It is a bit of a shame for Gabby. He was never the brightest button, nor more importantly a prolific striker. He had plenty of pace but if the ball wasn't in front of him he struggled. IMHO his problems really started when he decided that he needed to bulk up one summer during MONs time. In the following season he decided that he could be take the ball with his back to defenders but he rarely had the skill to turn and beat them.

He has been a good servant for Villa, but I think his time is up and that he should either move on or be used as an impact sub.

However I doubt either will happen and think that his career at Villa will just stumble along till the fans ultimately turn against him.

In the second half of 2012/13 season I thought he was brilliant but only showed glimpses of that form last season. At Liverpool he was excellent. Seems better away from home when he has the space to in behind.

It's kind of alarming if you watch where he was at the start of last season (Arsenal away) to where he is now. He didn't get any goals or assists vs. Arsenal but he was probably our best player that day, winning two penalties and getting Koscielny sent off, he terrorized their defense all 90 minutes. When you watch him now there's no pace, no desire, no nothing. Just missed sitters and cynical fouls. I don't know if it's attitude, confidence, or if he just never physically came back after that injury he picked up vs. Liverpool. He's been a great servant to the club and I think there's a lot to be said for a homegrown, one-club man -- you don't see it very much in football these days, or any sport for that matter. But without his pace and enthusiasm he is a complete passenger. I'd love to see him turn it around but sadly I think maybe his peak is behind him.

Edited by heid3ster
  • Like 1

Gabby just looks like he doesn't give a **** anymore. Never do I see him making runs into space or even caring if he misses a chance. He just gets on with it and picks up his paycheck and leaves. Don't get me wrong Gabby is one of my favorite players but there is little to no effort and to think he doesn't care as much anymore to put on the shirt makes me feel sick. Hopefully we don't renew his contact unless he shows some form in the upcoming games. He needs something to rejuvenate him.

Â