Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

His athletic ability doesn't result in anything though. Maybe he'll close someone down half a second faster or outpace his marker before spooning the ball out.

I'd rather have someone who can do something with the ball.

Who do we have?
Grealish comes to mind. Cole if he could play 90 minutes week in week out. Kozak and Benteke can't come back soon enough.
There's quite a lot of pressure on this kid; and your post is also based on about 30 minutes of Premier League football. Hell of a mantle :o
Bent? He doesn't move much but put the ball in the box and he'll be there. Even try Weimann as he still moves about Gabby is getting more and more stationary. He never runs a channel anymore at one stage he was marking a CM!!
I keep hearing this about Bent but how many goals has he actually scored in the last few seasons?

More than Gabby

Has he?

Since he joined Villa, yes.

My main concern is our fans.  If you don't produce, you get slated.

Hopefully with Grealish it'll be different (I think it will be, to be fair) but he really needs time.  There's a huge expectation with him - and I mean expectation, rather than hope.

I think that is the same for all fans and players need to be able to handle that regardless of their age. Having said that, our fans usually give academy players more leeway. The likes of Bannan, Clark, Baker and even Weimann were given a couple of seasons before being turned on.

His athletic ability doesn't result in anything though. Maybe he'll close someone down half a second faster or outpace his marker before spooning the ball out.

Who do we have?

I bet we could get Usain Bolt for far less than we pay Gabriel.

Can he play premiership football?
Who knows but he would offer more than the track star masquerading as a footballer we do have .

He must be good then, to play so long in the prem when he's just a track star masquerading as a footballer.

Who do we have?

I bet we could get Usain Bolt for far less than we pay Gabriel.

Can he play premiership football?
Who knows but he would offer more than the track star masquerading as a footballer we do have .

He must be good then, to play so long in the prem when he's just a track star masquerading as a footballer.

Longevity doesn't mean quality. He is a sprinter who has been moulded into a very limited footballer. The ultimate one trick pony who can't remember how to do his trick anymore. Sentimentality is crippling us with this guy.

• Like 1

You make it sound so easy. No club has shown any interest in Gabby let alone made a bid so the money Lambert could get for him is £0 right now.

You may have a point but surely someone would take him off our hands if we actively looked to move him on?

I honestly don't think they would given his scoring record and wages.

Those who could afford him wouldn't want him and those that would couldn't, besides I can't see him wanting to go.

Longevity doesn't mean quality. He is a sprinter who has been moulded into a very limited footballer. The ultimate one trick pony who can't remember how to do his trick anymore. Sentimentality is crippling us with this guy.

In fairness, whilst longevity doesn't mean quality, Gabby isn't someone who's done nothing - he's scored more goals for Villa than David Platt, Andy Gray or Gary Shaw.

He's well off his best, he's not buzzing around like he does when he's playing well and his energy levels aren't where they should be - I think he's in the side because he can play three positions, Grealish looks a very good prospect on the left, but he can't switch to play up front, Bent apparently can play up front according to many, but he can't play on either flank.

Gabby gives us a focal point up front, right now he's not a very good focal point, because he looks like he's concentrating on that instead of actually being a threat - he needs to be worked on and he needs to be put under threat of his place - when Benteke comes back, one of N'Zogbia, Weimann or Gabby will make way - with Sanchez likely to start in midfield going forwards, we'll also have Richardson and Cole chomping at the bit for a wide spot - that could very well be good for him. He probably needs it. 

He's still a couple of years away from his 30th birthday and for me he still has plenty to offer, but he really does need a kick up the arse. I also think that whilst his body fat percentage is probably one of those impressive numbers, he's carrying around too much muscle and could do with dropping half a stone. The thing he's shown throughout his career is that he's not afraid to work to improve himself - someone needs to convince him that he needs to.

• Like 3

I think Gabby needs to watch some videos of great strikers, they're always looking to get involved, dropping deep, running channels, the works. Gabby just seems to stand very statically and wait for something to develop, rather than try make something happen. This is why i'm hesitant to criticise Weimann at the minute. Weimann does try to make runs and work defenders, a lot of the time no one sees him doing it or they cant pick him out. Gabby just doesn't do enough, on the ball or off the ball. 

Edited by PieFacE

In fairness, whilst longevity doesn't mean quality, Gabby isn't someone who's done nothing - he's scored more goals for Villa than David Platt, Andy Gray or Gary Shaw.

He's well off his best, he's not buzzing around like he does when he's playing well and his energy levels aren't where they should be - I think he's in the side because he can play three positions, Grealish looks a very good prospect on the left, but he can't switch to play up front, Bent apparently can play up front according to many, but he can't play on either flank.

Gabby gives us a focal point up front, right now he's not a very good focal point, because he looks like he's concentrating on that instead of actually being a threat - he needs to be worked on and he needs to be put under threat of his place - when Benteke comes back, one of N'Zogbia, Weimann or Gabby will make way - with Sanchez likely to start in midfield going forwards, we'll also have Richardson and Cole chomping at the bit for a wide spot - that could very well be good for him. He probably needs it. 

He's still a couple of years away from his 30th birthday and for me he still has plenty to offer, but he really does need a kick up the arse. I also think that whilst his body fat percentage is probably one of those impressive numbers, he's carrying around too much muscle and could do with dropping half a stone. The thing he's shown throughout his career is that he's not afraid to work to improve himself - someone needs to convince him that he needs to.

Let's hope he does . I am not one who believes we should be pushing him out the door but for me he should be nowhere near the first team and any future contract should reflect his current capabilities and not the past "glories".

Like I said he has one trick and when he turns it on it is devastating for defenders . He just doesn't do it enough and most importantly he doesn't look like he wants to .

Let's hope he does . I am not one who believes we should be pushing him out the door but for me he should be nowhere near the first team 

In fairness he probably wouldn't be if we didn't have two strikers out injured which says a lot about how his career has gone these last few years.

• Like 1

Let's hope he does . I am not one who believes we should be pushing him out the door but for me he should be nowhere near the first team

In fairness he probably wouldn't be if we didn't have two strikers out injured which says a lot about how his career has gone these last few years.

Fair point but I still think there are better all round players who are not injured who couldn't do worse .

It irks me when people point to his scoring record as proof of... something? Yes he is our leading scorer, but look how many games he needed to do it. 

I'm going to leave it here because I'm sure you're all aware of my dislike for him and I sound like a broken record at this point.

(He's really shit!)

• Like 1

I glossed over the "has scored more than Platt , Shaw etc" stuff because it is utterly meaningless . A goals per minutes played stat would be a much better performance indicator.

It's like saying Michael McIntyre has performed more sell out gigs than Bill Hicks.

Imagine how many goals Platt et al would have scored if they had played the same amount of games for Villa.

Edited by Brumerican

Â