Martin O'Neill

maqroll

Oneill made some good signings and bad signings. Petrov, Carew,  Young, Milner , Downing and Delph were his good ones. When he arrived he was younger and energetic and he did a very good job of getting us into the top 6 every tear, although our expectations were higher as we wanted champions league football. Ultilmately our best players were sold and he could take the club no further.  Since he went the club has gone one way, a bit like when Saunders went, except then we managed to get a fantastic manager at his peak, Graham Taylor who turned the club around. 

I have nothing against Martin Oneill. He did a good job at Leicester, Celtic and us, but hes 66 now and not got the same passion. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Poor @TrentVilla. Between us and forest he's going to be watching horrific stuff.

Don’t forget bottom of the EFL Notts County, I went to watch them on Saturday and I honestly think it’s the worst game I’ve ever seen. 

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I think they will do well with mon. Obviously they will televise this game sky, and hype his return against former club...a game that we will obviously lose.

Never televised any of his games when at Sunderland and even lost to the mighty Paul Lambert's Villa team

• Haha 1

Ryan Giggs has won 3 games out of 9 since taking over at Wales, 2 was vs MON. Watch highlights of either game and you can see that MON is out of his depth these days.

He wouldnt play Matt Doherty(probably Ireland most inform player last 2 seasons) because he would cut inside and try to pass the ball 😂

21 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Don’t forget bottom of the EFL Notts County, I went to watch them on Saturday and I honestly think it’s the worst game I’ve ever seen. 

I can promise you that it wasn't the worst performance of the day.

• Like 4

This reminds me of when Forest appointed Stuart Pearce. Club legend who'll get the "passion" back. He lasted six months.

Now MON might be a better manager than Psycho but he lasted managed a club side in March 2013 so 6 years is a fair time to be out of club football.

As a short term fix to end of season it's worth a gamble but Forest need shooting if they've given him a long term contract as he simply won't build a long term team. Otherwise he'd have done it here and at Sunderland.

11 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Bad appointment IMO. Old school managers like him are increasingly falling behind modern football.

Honestly surprised they keep getting work. Why not bring back Alan Curbishley at this point?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Honestly surprised they keep getting work. Why not bring back Alan Curbishley at this point?

I'm sure if Curbishley had won the league, two league cups and two European Cups in the space of three seasons at Forest then their fans would be up for it. Martin O'Neill was Clough's man on the pitch through that era which basically defines Nottingham Forest as a club. I'm surprised it's taken him this long to get the managers job at The City Ground tbh. I'm not sure he'll be a success, I'm not even sure what passes for success there these days but I can't see why appointing an absolute club legend who has been successful as a manager would be surprising even if it is a bit short sighted.   

(However I'd bet he's not their manager by the opening day of 2020/21...) 

• Like 3

I could see the ideal happening for Forest.

He gets them up with hard work alone. Then falls out with the owners over buying players and leaves.

It'll give a huge boost to the dinosaurs still around if he succeeds. They'll be able to go on about it for years. If he fails, it looks less likely that Hughes, Moyes will get much of a decent gig.

Â