Martin O'Neill

maqroll

Nigel Reo-Coker £8.5m

Four year deal at...erm... let's be kind on Martin and go for £35,000 = £7.2m plus bonuses (lol) and we will make it an even £8m.

Never a regular under O'Neill, who in last season in charge played him in 10 league games. 10.

Nigel Reo-Coker sold for £0.00.

So just the £16.5m loss on that one...and that is just one example.

...but he made the profit on the old player. Brilliant.  **** Martin O'Neill.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Nigel Reo-Coker £8.5m

Four year deal at...erm... let's be kind on Martin and go for £35,000 = £7.2m plus bonuses (lol) and we will make it an even £8m.

Never a regular under O'Neill, who in last season in charge played him in 10 league games. 10.

Yes but we made good profit on Young and Downing and would have done with Milner but for the stupid Ireland exchange

9 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes but we made good profit on Young and Downing and would have done with Milner but for the stupid Ireland exchange

making profit on 3 players doesnt make up for the money he lost

I do remember those times fondly. The Lerner/Mo'N honeymoon period is by far the best few years of supporting Villa, as a fan under the age of 30 or so.

It's slightly tarnished by the way the clearing in the woods walked out just before the season, and the realisation of how much he wasted the opportunity when Lerner's money and interest ran out.

...and Emile **** Heskey.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Cuellar, Reo-coker, Beye, Sidwell, Heskey

Not sure we made a penny back on them 5 alone, sure a few others im missing

Marlon Harewood, that was a few quid lost. Stephen Warnock, Curtis Davies and Nicky Shorey too. 

And while not major money there’s Salifou of course, four appearances over four years was it? Dread to think how much his wages totalled over that time.

It was the same at Sunderland, he signed Fletcher for about 12m and Danny Graham for 5m who I don't think even scored a goal for them.

He just makes lazy British signings who cost a fortune in wages and consistently swerves the foreign market.

One of the reasons I reckon why no major club ever considered him at his managerial peak.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It was the same at Sunderland, he signed Fletcher for about 12m and Danny Graham for 5m who I don't think even scored a goal for them.

He just makes lazy British signings who cost a fortune in wages and consistently swerves the foreign market.

One of the reasons I reckon why no major club ever considered him at his managerial peak.

would have been hilarious him at a Liverpool or Chelsea spending 30million on Matthew Etherington or Mark Noble

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Just a 3 year deal for a 31 year old Heskey on a reported 65k a week. 

The manager doesn't sanction how funds are spent. I'm always staggered when people say "they" spent <x>.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Article on MON never getting a job at a top club
<cough>

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/oct/14/martin-oneill-is-in-the-managerial-elite-even-if-a-top-job-eludes-him

Well I still remember him fondly... althought perhaps not as fondly as Zatman :P

I'm still surprised at how many people outside Villa are surprised at how many of us don't think he was the best thing since sliced bread. Yes there were some good signings and we did far better than we're doing now but I feel like most outsiders don't grasp what a missed opportunity it was. In Lerner's first few seasons we were relatively big spenders at a time when the market was nowhere near as inflated as it is now. And while there are so many other factors that are more to blame, O'Neill still has to shoulder a portion of the blame for how we fared after he left. The whole thing was built on sand. O'Neill certainly isn't a bad manager but nowhere near the elite.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Nigel Reo-Coker £8.5m

Thing is, at the time Reo-Coker was being talked about in the press as the next Steven Gerrard. He was excellent in his last season at West Ham, and it looked like we made a great signing. Gave his all and got stuck in... shame it turned out that he couldn't pass the ball 6 yards and all his driving runs forward ended in total embarrasment.

23 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I'm still surprised at how many people outside Villa are surprised at how many of us don't think he was the best thing since sliced bread. Yes there were some good signings and we did far better than we're doing now but I feel like most outsiders don't grasp what a missed opportunity it was. In Lerner's first few seasons we were relatively big spenders at a time when the market was nowhere near as inflated as it is now. And while there are so many other factors that are more to blame, O'Neill still has to shoulder a portion of the blame for how we fared after he left. The whole thing was built on sand. O'Neill certainly isn't a bad manager but nowhere near the elite.

I think he had us punching our weight, but no more. I do remember him fondly, but I agree with you that there was a missed opportunity that MON couldn't quite capitalise on.

I look at Spurs, playing at the Bernabeu, and I can't help think that it should have been Real Madrid v Aston Villa. We were arguably on the right path with MON. Is he bound by contract to not talk about the Lerner flame out? I'd really love to hear the details of that.

2 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Thing is, at the time Reo-Coker was being talked about in the press as the next Steven Gerrard. He was excellent in his last season at West Ham, and it looked like we made a great signing. Gave his all and got stuck in... shame it turned out that he couldn't pass the ball 6 yards and all his driving runs forward ended in total embarrasment.

We've had some pointless players over the years, holy shit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

I look at Spurs, playing at the Bernabeu, and I can't help think that it should have been Real Madrid v Aston Villa. We were arguably on the right path with MON. Is he bound by contract to not talk about the Lerner flame out? I'd really love to hear the details of that.

I think he got a financial settlement at a tribunal, so I imagine some sort of confidentiality clause is in there somewhere? Perhaps he'll tell all in a bio on retirement...

17 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

You didn't rate young or Carew? :huh: dunne was a pretty good signing also

I thought Carew was a good signing. 

I didn't rate Young as highly as others but can't say he wasn't a good signing. Dunne was a reasonable signing.

He made a few other reasonable signings like James Collins and Luke Young but so many bad ones and unlike Lambert's 'bad signings' and some of the 'bad signings' we made after he left, I didn't think O'Neil's had anywhere near the same potential.

Yeah it was our last chance really to break the door down of the top 4 before every oil sheik etc started buying all the clubs. We put a good few dents in the door but never managed to break it down. MoN did make some truly bizarre signings. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bobzy said:

But then, at the same time, he brought in Petrov, Young, Carew, Milner and Friedel who were all instrumental during that period.  I actually thought Davies (expensive?), Sidwell and Delph (unlucky with injuries) were all good signings at the time, too.

I thought our most instrumental players during that period were by far Laursen, Barry and Milner followed by Gabby. All O'Leary signings or players who came in through the youth system. Young, Carew, Bouma (O'Leary signing), Petrov, Friedel and others were important as well but the real key players were for the most part already there when O'Neil took over. He made his own additions (which were poor overall) and took away from what we had considerably by selling Davis and Cahill. 

I agree with you on Sidwell and I thought Warnock was a good signing as well. I never rated Delph. Davies was a terrible signing especially considering he was bought as a replacement for Cahill. I didn't think Friedel was that much of an upgrade on Sorenson and I always rated Davis higher than Petrov.

He did get everyone working on the same page which can't be underestimated and he deserves credit for. I just wonder what might have been if things were done slightly differently.

Edited by Michael118

Â