Martin O'Neill

maqroll

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Would've been very harsh to sack him the season we finished 6th the first time and scored over 70 times.

2009 is more debatable particularly with Moscow still lingering as that is when he lost a fair bit of support from the Holte End I think.

Moscow, still makes me get a little angry, that was it for me wrt MON.

27 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

ah yes the famous 2-2 with stoke. The start of mons downfall after moscow

Jonathon Pearce said on the BBC commentary that we would surely be going to the Champions League instead of Arsenal.

I can't listen to him anymore after he jinxed us like that.

29 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Jonathon Pearce said on the BBC commentary that we would surely be going to the Champions League instead of Arsenal.

It wasnt a jinx just a completely clueless and one dimensional manager who had absolutely no plan b. So when plan a didnt work we lost 

57 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It wasnt a jinx just a completely clueless and one dimensional manager who had absolutely no plan b. So when plan a didnt work we lost 

I agree.

The memory of how sure he sounded that we were going to the CL and how O'Neil had out-thought Wenger will be forever associated  with his voice in my mind.

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

The big irony being that it seemed to be a last minute goal by Glenn Whelan that totally knocked the stuffing out of us in that 2-2 draw with Stoke.

That **** looks like he could play 1000 matches for us and never score a goal like that one.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

conceding 2 goals at home to a Tony Pulis team is even worse than Whelan scoring ;)

I remember being there to see Carew come on as sub and score that outrageous flicked finish from the edge of the box and thinking "This is it. We're going to make it into the Champions League."

By the end of the game, walking back to the car everyone was just so silent.  It was like we were all walking away from a funeral.

7 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

I remember being there to see Carew come on as sub and score that outrageous flicked finish from the edge of the box and thinking "This is it. We're going to make it into the Champions League."

By the end of the game, walking back to the car everyone was just so silent.  It was like we were all walking away from a funeral.

Yep that game killed us, and having whelan score is actually embarrassing.

8 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

I was at the game before that one. Blackburn away. (I think it was the game before that one)

We won 2-0 and it was the first time I allowed myself to think "This is actually going to happen. We're going to make the top 4!"

Then very next game Stoke happened and it all went to shit.

I blame myself for daring to hope.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Blackburn away we had 51 points and there were still I think 13 games left. 70 + points usually gets top 4.

It was some collapse.

We gave it a better go the following year but the cup runs knackered us.

The squad wasn't good enough to last and the Europa league hindered our chances. the players were knackered by March. I don't believe Oneill is at fault except for not rotating the squad enough. At a club like Villa it was  hard to get quality squad players who are happy to bide their time on the Bench. Arsenal never had that problem and were always going to finish stronger. 

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

The squad wasn't good enough to last and the Europa league hindered our chances. the players were knackered by March. I don't believe Oneill is at fault except for not rotating the squad enough. At a club like Villa it was  hard to get quality squad players who are happy to bide their time on the Bench. Arsenal never had that problem and were always going to finish stronger. 

So it was his fault then!

Edited by Demitri_C

23 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Lerner’s biggest mistake was giving him a third season.

What? That's crazy. 

Houllier with his health issues?

McLeish after relegating blues?

Cutting spending and hoping to survive?

Sticking with Lambert for a 3rd year?

Allowing MON to continue after finishing 6th for consecutive years doesn't come close to the madness he showed once he left. 

• Like 1

We had squad players but they just weren't used enough.

Start of 09/10 we went to Anfield and won 3-1. Beye and Shorey were the full backs and Curtis Davies scored.

None of them were great for us but they could be trusted to come into the odd game or two and play their part. Reo-Coker was another who didn't play enough that season after his training ground fight with O'Neill.

Instead we had situations where Warnock was poor after the cup final yet was still played despite us having Shorey and Luke Young as LB options. Dunne also lost form in the run in so we could've rested him for a game or two and move Cuellar inside.

Only real rotation was Carew/Heskey.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2017 at 20:19, VillaChris said:

Would've been very harsh to sack him the season we finished 6th the first time and scored over 70 times.

2009 is more debatable particularly with Moscow still lingering as that is when he lost a fair bit of support from the Holte End I think.

Dont know, good clubs sack at right moment, we arent one of them clubs

Â