Martin O'Neill

maqroll

10 minutes ago, maqroll said:

What a plane crash. I must admit I take a degree of pleasure whenever Martin O'Neil takes one on the chin. 

Me too, I didn't like the little shite when he was our manager. My only source of regret is the revolting, arrogant, chippy, obnoxious, pube-headed word removed gets paid off when he gets blown out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I hate to think how much he 'earnt' from the last few months.  

I have it on good authority that he was in Spain at least once during the season as i know somebody met him there

3 hours ago, John said:

Joe Mercer. 

From the limited amount of research I’ve done, he appears to be the one who was most successful, by a fair distance.

I was really just on about the most recent former manager who has had a bit of glory after leaving us.

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

I have it on good authority that he was in Spain at least once during the season as i know somebody met him there

His management style was always to just turn up on Saturdays. Wasnt interested in being on the training ground. 

19 minutes ago, villa89 said:

His management style was always to just turn up on Saturdays. Wasnt interested in being on the training ground. 

Maybe if he felt that Reo-Coker was particularly asking for it that day he’d be inclined ;)

I know people connected with Forest and this comes as no surprise at all, the players have been moaning about him for months.

The training and match preparation has been a joke, to say he is a dinosaur is an understatement.

None of them respected him, most thought him to be a liar who wouldn't tell them the truth (something I heard when he was her) and loads wanted out.

I think the final straw was when he took them to Wollaton Park last week to make them run up and down hills in front of the public.

He should never have got the job, he certainly shouldn't get another one.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I know people connected with Forest and this comes as no surprise at all, the players have been moaning about him for months.

The training and match preparation has been a joke, to say he is a dinosaur is an understatement.

None of them respected him, most thought him to be a liar who wouldn't tell them the truth (something I heard when he was her) and loads wanted out.

I think the final straw was when he took them to Wollaton Park last week to make them run up and down hills in front of the public.

Now that is a surprising revelation about, well I assume, Martine.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

but it worked for Cloughie!!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Is this true?

It was reported from a few sources during most of his managerial career. He left the coaching/training to his assistants john Robertson and the other guy. The training sessions themselves were meant to be very basic at best. MON followed the clough approach of only really talking to the players on matchdays as he felt it meant more then, rather than speaking to them daily. 

Dinosaur. 

54 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Is this true?

Pretty much known in football world and since John Robertson didnt go Sunderland with him its no surprise its gone to shit for O'Neill

• Like 1

Post Villa he has not had John Robertson as his assistant which I think he has badly missed. MON barely does any coaching and Roberston certainly knew a thing or two about wing play as Ashley Young's development at Villa showed. 

I think modern football has passed O'Neill by.  The game does not require a old school 'manager' rather than coach who has absolute control over transfers, rules the club with an iron rod and basically just turns up on match day.  For a intelligent guy like MON I am surprised he has not realised this or perhaps he is just too long in the tooth to change. Even 10 years ago this was clearly obvious but at Villa he had a hissy fit and left once Lerner tried to rein in his ridiculous spending habits.

That is why you have to give Sir Redface some credit. Despite his image I think he did change his methods  over time to cope with the modern day player.

Looking back in hindsight perhaps O'Neill should not have taken the Celtic job. I think it just inflated his feeling of self importance by winning easy titles without evolving his style of management. If he stayed at Leceister or got a bigger job in England then who knows he may have moved with the times more. I think when he came to Villa he felt he had carte blanche to do what the hell he wanted with Lerner at least for 3 years was happy to sit back and hand over wads of cash.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â