Martin O'Neill

maqroll

On 15/08/2023 at 12:54, villa89 said:

I haven't watched it but I assume its more of his self serving ego maniac nonsense. He's a grade A ****.

That’s exactly his intention even if he didn’t manage it and to a large degree was held to account in this particular interview, well done to both of the Talksport interviewers in this one!! 

He came out with more bitter petty comments about the Ireland fans and how he feels he was treated badly when Ireland manager. His bitterness knows no bounds, he's like Michael Jordan minus the talent and 100 times worse. 

The more I hear from him and about him in the various podcasts and articles, the more I think he was the most overrated manager we’ve ever seen. I liked him at the time, and thought he’d be a great appointment as he came with a reputation. But it’s easy to look back and say his three x 6th placed finishes were a success, when compared to what followed. However prior to those years, top 6 and higher places weren’t uncommon, and the money he had to spend dwarfed that of those that went before him. 

To find out he didn’t bother with tactics, or training, or much else apart from ‘man management’, we had a really good first team and with some actual coaching and better fitness could have pushed on instead of collapsing every March/April. 

I’m just glad we’ve got Emery now and a squad full of professional people who give their all.  

• Like 1

I never rated him at the time. Whilst we were doing well - it never seemed (to me) that we could kick on beyond being one of the "best of the rest". He treated some players appallingly and others could do no wrong. Then, one Jan transfer window where we were in a prime position, he signed Emile fecking Heskey. 

And the way he walked out on us just days before the start of the season just showed the level of moral cowardice that he was capable of. 

Yes, we absolutely have had worse managers, but MON squandered the opportunity we had. 

• Like 2

There was a story going about, when he was our manager, concerning his time at Leicester. Apparently he'd received some letters from a couple of fans saying he wasn't up to the job and should be sacked. He'd kept the letters in a drawer and when Leicester won the league Cup one of the first things he did was get the letters out and reply to them. I remember there were a few on here that found it amusing but it just made me think 'you sad, petty little man'.

A man with an ego far in excess of his talent 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Spoony said:

about 1.05.30 in. Words fail me. 

Its unsurprising and club should have really sacked him in summer 2009 and a better owner would have dumped him

Always knew McAllister was a clearing in the woods as well and proves this

• Like 3

What did he actually do in the week?

That training was just 5 a sides and zero tactics, left to john robertson and steve walford has been said before, but seems like we barely trained at all.

Not surprised he threw a strop over milner asking to do more fitness, he always had a brittle ego, and the petty response of sticking some poles out, making the players do some laps, and then storming off, sums up his bitter character.

A management style still rooted in his playing days; chuck the best 11 players on the pitch, tell them they're great, and hope for the best.

What a word removed.

Yeah it’s just embarrassing hearing all that. Squandered a huge amount of potential with that team.

It’s interesting to hear young Ashley Young being a ringleader in terms of the team skiving off training - I wonder if Villa imploding taught him some valuable lessons for the rest of his career, given how professional he subsequently became.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Yeah it’s just embarrassing hearing all that. Squandered a huge amount of potential with that team.

It’s interesting to hear young Ashley Young being a ringleader in terms of the team skiving off training - I wonder if Villa imploding taught him some valuable lessons for the rest of his career, given how professional he subsequently became.

In Young's interview the other day he said that O'Neill was great for him. Saying about tactics stuff etc Young also said SAF didn't do barely any of that at Man U, training was designed around fitness and things like shooting/finishing and basically to be able to put away a chance when one comes around. 

Edited by VillaJ100

29 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

In Young's interview the other day he said that O'Neill was great for him. Saying about tactics stuff etc Young also said SAF didn't do barely any of that at Man U, training was designed around fitness and things like shooting/finishing and basically to be able to put away a chance when one comes around. 

That's interesting. One of the two interviews above said O'Neill did no tactics at all, so I guess it's interesting to hear all the different perspectives.

Wasn’t MON’s tactic “get the ball to Ashley?” in which case it’s no surprise young like it!

Its a shame MON was never properly tested at the highest levels either with us in CL or with another “big club”- he was rumoured to be the favourite for the Utd job post SAF for a while. Can you imagine this kind of lackadaisical approach when you’re fighting on four fronts playing 60 games a season? They would have burned out by January let alone march. He would have been well and truly found out 

11 hours ago, andym said:

What did he actually do in the week?

That training was just 5 a sides and zero tactics, left to john robertson and steve walford has been said before, but seems like we barely trained at all.

Not surprised he threw a strop over milner asking to do more fitness, he always had a brittle ego, and the petty response of sticking some poles out, making the players do some laps, and then storming off, sums up his bitter character.

A management style still rooted in his playing days; chuck the best 11 players on the pitch, tell them they're great, and hope for the best.

What a word removed.

O'Neill basically replicated what Brian Clough was doing.

Trouble is that worked in the 70-80s but he was losing his touch with those methods in early 90s and so was relegated in his final season as a manager.

MON still trying it in 2010....🤣

Players talk with others at different clubs and I remember John Terry after we lost to Chelsea in the FA cup saying he knew we'd fall off fitness wise around the hour mark.

Also wasn't there some talk of a fall out with Milner?

BBC Sport - Football - Bolton 0-1 Aston Villa

He was on the bench for this game in April 2010 which fits in with the timeline Warnock is describing.

I didn't rate Houllier's brief spell but you can tell he had no chance coming in and straight away prescribing intense training and probably double seasons when the mentality of the squad was to have half the week off. 

• Like 1

That's it, he learnt all that from Clough.  Obviously we are only hearing Warnocks side of the story and making a judgement from that. O'Neil wasn't an elite manager but 3 top 6 finishes doesn't make him a bad one either. Gabby had his best part of his career under him and speaks very highly of him 

Â