Irreverentad's Relationship Advice Thread

irreverentad

Not sure what ur situation is, but I'd let the young lad know he can pack a bag and let her rot with that new arsehole. Also contact the police. At a minimum, there will be a record of this, because that type of man is unlikely to be a single time offender, especially when the ex is not too bothered by things. Make sure to let ur lad know he did the right thing by not clocking the guy, not worth the hassle.

@colhint You haven't outlined what your custody situation is, but if you have legal arrangements then taking the kid out of the home might violate those, so that's one possible reason to contact the police (I understand that maybe that isn't the case, since you haven't mentioned it).

However, I think you should contact the police anyway. There is no 'but he was being a dick' or 'but he started it' defence for adults being physically violent with kids. If this happens again in the future, you will want an official record that the next time isn't the first time, and you need to remove the possibility of *you* being seen as negligent at any point.

I appreciate it's a tough situation, though, so good luck.

The people recommending violence should be ignored. You hit him. He grads a knife and stabs you. In all matters violence should be the last resort. 

If you decide to report this to the Police they will look at the matter. But unless the guy admits and/or your ex gives evidence against him, there's no real prospect of conviction. If the guy has a clean criminal record and he admitted it I'd expect him to get a formal caution and no more. 

But this could become a regular occurrence. If so,  it's better to get it reported now. 

Good luck. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

The people recommending violence should be ignored. You hit him. He grads a knife and stabs you. In all matters violence should be the last resort. 

If you decide to report this to the Police they will look at the matter. But unless the guy admits and/or your ex gives evidence against him, there's no real prospect of conviction. If the guy has a clean criminal record and he admitted it I'd expect him to get a formal caution and no more. 

But this could become a regular occurrence. If so,  it's better to get it reported now. 

Good luck. 

I think its worth logging with the police even if the chance of punishment is low. He'll get a tap at the door which will hopefully make him think twice next time.

Not reporting could have the opposite effect.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, villan-scott said:

I only keep returning to find out the next instalment of whether @A'Villan has banged the Aussie actress yet? 

Given the flirting and how cosy we were with physical contact in the past, and the enthusiasm in her recent messages, I was looking forward to meeting her.

So, as I did with the folk on VT, I shared the news with some friends, I was excited, can you blame me? Some were aware that we were close a while back, others hadn't heard of her.

One of my mates goes straight onto her instagram and has a little stalk (probably something I should've done) and found something which makes me curious but also reluctant.

Turns out she's taken, or so it seems. I knew she was in a long-term relationship with a bloke which has definitely ended, and not so long ago, so I thought her currently unattached.

But current relationship status is definitely up in the air judging by some of her instagram posts. Easily fixed, I can just ask her.

I guess I'm slightly surprised given that I was happy just to exchange pleasantries and well wishes and go separate ways again, but she genuinely wants to meet.

Totally open to the idea she has fond memories and sees me as an old friend she would like to catch up with, but I've misread the dialogue if that's the case.

Kinda wishing I didn't post that now, but since I have I'll update if i feel anything worth sharing transpires.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Given the flirting and how cosy we were with physical contact in the past, and the enthusiasm in her recent messages, I was looking forward to meeting her.

So, as I did with the folk on VT, I shared the news with some friends, I was excited, can you blame me? Some were aware that we were close a while back, others hadn't heard of her.

One of my mates goes straight onto her instagram and has a little stalk (probably something I should've done) and found something which makes me curious but also reluctant.

Turns out she's taken, or so it seems. I knew she was in a long-term relationship with a bloke which has definitely ended, and not so long ago, so I thought her currently unattached.

But current relationship status is definitely up in the air judging by some of her instagram posts. Easily fixed, I can just ask her.

I guess I'm slightly surprised given that I was happy just to exchange pleasantries and well wishes and go separate ways again, but she genuinely wants to meet.

Totally open to the idea she has fond memories and sees me as an old friend she would like to catch up with, but I've misread the dialogue if that's the case.

Kinda wishing I didn't post that now, but since I have I'll update if i feel anything worth sharing transpires.

So you can now tell us who it is :P

So in other celebrity news, a girl who I went to primary and high school with has made millions off of her looks alone.

She is the face of Adidas in Australia, Bonds, Chemist Warehouse, and probably a dozen other companies I never knew existed..

Her name is Steph Claire Smith, her brother and I were friends growing up, we were in the same year level, I feel like I've told this story before..

Anyway, I was shooting the breeze at the basketball court with some friends and she came up the other day..

One of my friends is adamant that her husband to be is rooting around shamelessly and she just wants to have a picturesque happy marriage.

The only thing holding her back from having children already is her modeling career and capacity to make millions from her body and looks.

I actually felt quite down for her when I left that meetup, because she probably is holding on to her dreams long after he's decided not to support them.

I know it's none of my business, but f***ing upper class yuppies, I swear! Bunch of rich kids lost in a bubble it seems to me.

This guy's getting his end wet at every opportunity, and possibly partly because he's her partner, and stringing her along for the ride..

It doesn't bother me because she's some stunning model who deserves better because of how pleasant she is at surface level.

It bothers me because I think it so petty and immature full stop to abuse trust in a committed relationship, regardless of who's involved and on the receiving end.

It's like winning the lottery to throw it all away down at the pokies. And I see this sh*t everywhere, it's like The Only Way Is Essex on steroids.

Who can be the most shallow and undignified just to get one-up momentarily.

I have had my rant and won't go on being indignant and sullen about a perceived problem for much longer, it's just about summer over here and the sun is out.

I definitely am in need of some advice regarding relationships, I think I take them too seriously too soon.

Got another date next week, just a coffee date, but I can tell she's excited to meet after making me jump through a few hoops.

Sorry for the rant, again! Maybe I'll start a journal instead of taking it out on you poor folk at VT!

2 hours ago, A'Villan said:

So in other celebrity news, a girl who I went to primary and high school with has made millions off of her looks alone.

She is the face of Adidas in Australia, Bonds, Chemist Warehouse, and probably a dozen other companies I never knew existed..

Her name is Steph Claire Smith, her brother and I were friends growing up, we were in the same year level, I feel like I've told this story before..

Anyway, I was shooting the breeze at the basketball court with some friends and she came up the other day..

One of my friends is adamant that her husband to be is rooting around shamelessly and she just wants to have a picturesque happy marriage.

The only thing holding her back from having children already is her modeling career and capacity to make millions from her body and looks.

I actually felt quite down for her when I left that meetup, because she probably is holding on to her dreams long after he's decided not to support them.

I know it's none of my business, but f***ing upper class yuppies, I swear! Bunch of rich kids lost in a bubble it seems to me.

This guy's getting his end wet at every opportunity, and possibly partly because he's her partner, and stringing her along for the ride..

It doesn't bother me because she's some stunning model who deserves better because of how pleasant she is at surface level.

It bothers me because I think it so petty and immature full stop to abuse trust in a committed relationship, regardless of who's involved and on the receiving end.

It's like winning the lottery to throw it all away down at the pokies. And I see this sh*t everywhere, it's like The Only Way Is Essex on steroids.

Who can be the most shallow and undignified just to get one-up momentarily.

I have had my rant and won't go on being indignant and sullen about a perceived problem for much longer, it's just about summer over here and the sun is out.

I definitely am in need of some advice regarding relationships, I think I take them too seriously too soon.

Got another date next week, just a coffee date, but I can tell she's excited to meet after making me jump through a few hoops.

Sorry for the rant, again! Maybe I'll start a journal instead of taking it out on you poor folk at VT!

Be sure to give her a chance to speak!

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Be sure to give her a chance to speak!

Better out than in doesn't just apply to farting.

University and VT are the only places I speak more than most. She'll be okay.

At uni I'm always invited and encouraged to speak by my peers and my lecturers. So I do.

As for VT, I love the discussion here, it's grouse.

But thanks for your comment, I've been meaning to refrain from posting so often and so much.

Timely reminder.

7 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Better out than in doesn't just apply to farting.

University and VT are the only places I speak more than most. She'll be okay.

At uni I'm always invited and encouraged to speak by my peers and my lecturers. So I do.

As for VT, I love the discussion here, it's grouse.

But thanks for your comment, I've been meaning to refrain from posting so often and so much.

Timely reminder.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, rjw63 said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Urban dictionary is your friend. Slang term for something wonderful or great, used commonly in Melbourne.

Struth, Ruth, that was a fair dinkum grouse feed, chuck some more shrimp on the barby (BBQ). Is the kind of bogan language you will find down under.

• Confused 1

Â