Irreverentad's Relationship Advice Thread

irreverentad

6 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Update from me. I've split up with my partner, well it happened in March but only getting round to bringing it up here now. Not sure how to summarise it without droning on. I'll try a sequence of events. 

April 2015 - I meet a girl who's up from Bristol for a friend's party. What happens, happens. No plans to meet again, mainly due to distance (along with other factors).

June 2015 - I receive a phone call to tell me she's expecting. We meet to discuss things a couple of times, but that's more or less it.

January 2016 - my daughter is born. Frequent visits occur over the following months.

June/July 2016 - we decide to try give it a go for the sake of our daughter. They move up to live with me.

March 2017 - following a fairly big row over nothing (not our first big argument over nothing and wasn't our last), she decides that she wants to end the relationship but to continue to live up here as opposed to Bristol.

Current situation - both my daughter (now 18 months old) and her mum are still living with me. This will be the case until she can find somewhere suitable to live. I've made it clear that there's no rush at all for her to move out. She's got herself a job up here and I'm currently a stay at home dad. We're ultimately better off as friends and hopefully that will mean we'll be better, happier parents for the little 'un. I think we both felt we owed it to her to at least try and make things work, we're just not suited as a couple.

I'm really just giving this update as I feel that people are quite honest about themselves in here and I have this strange sense that I should reciprocate. I kind of know what I'm doing and I feel ok about things, but if anyone has any thoughts then by all means feel free to put them forward.

(Still a bit drony, but it's the best you're gonna get :P)

Sorry to hear about the split, you at least gave it a chance and tried to resolve it.  End on good terms as last thing you want is your baby girl suffering from squabbling between the parents as we often see thesedays between people.

As for the future? New start new chapter, I am sure a lot of positive things are on the horizon 

• Thanks 1

congrats Wainy, and Ginko :thumb:

I'm at 2.5 years in with the partner and the idea of proposing seems to vary between exciting and exhausting depending on the day. Still - I'll give it another 7 years then before deciding. :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rodders said:

congrats Wainy, and Ginko :thumb:

I'm at 2.5 years in with the partner and the idea of proposing seems to vary between exciting and exhausting depending on the day. Still - I'll give it another 7 years then before deciding. :)

Cheers and yeah, took me 9 so you're sound.

1 hour ago, Ginko said:

We're very much smitten right now and I love being with her. We have so much in common and she's just really **** cool. Very happy right now :D

UMKXoFm.gif

Congrats dude!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Congrats Ginks and Wainy Delaney and sorry SL! :(

I'd like to weigh into the drying up/dishwasher argument late though.

I'm dogsitting for my sister and she has no drying rack or even washing up liquid near the sink! I'm a use it, wash it, dry it kind of guy; only using the dishwasher if i cook for loads so I'm unsettled.

• Thanks 1

and further to this important dishwashing topic, which is obviously key to a successful relationship.

Who scrapes food off a plate? Soak the things, peasy easy!

I have a dishwasher in my apartment and I've never even turned it on... been years now so I expect it'll explode next time it's turned on :D

Edited by villakram

21 hours ago, villakram said:

and further to this important dishwashing topic, which is obviously key to a successful relationship.

Who scrapes food off a plate? Soak the things, peasy easy!

I have a dishwasher in my apartment and I've never even turned it on... been years now so I expect it'll explode next time it's turned on :D

If you have dinner and leave a bit of food on the plate you don't scrape it off into the bin before rinsing the plate off or leaving it to soak? You just chuck it all in the bowl or dishwasher? Dirty great chunks of food'n'all?

Edited by Ingram85

7 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

If you have dinner and leave a bit of food on the plate you don't scrape it off into the bin before rinsing the plate off or leaving it to soak? You just chuck it all in the bowl or dishwasher? Dirty great chunks of food'n'all?

Scraping implies elbow grease where as I would tend to wipe food into garbage and then soak, but that's kinda obvious. Humans and their hygiene habits!

I need to get back in the dating game. I went out Friday night with a big group from work but was thinking i'd have a crafty look at what the talent is saying in the pubs and bars we went in. My my, its a scary world out there now! I used to approach women easily back when I was younger as that was generally the only way you would get chatting to new people. Nowadays most people seem to meet online. Does anyone chat anyone up now in bars or is that seen as a bit outdated and 'odd' now?

I think its all down to a lack of confidence in myself. I keep meaning to get myself set up on Tinder or a dating site but never do as I always think any picture of me makes me look like a cross between a child killer and a simpleton. *Sigh*

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Â