Irreverentad's Relationship Advice Thread

irreverentad

24 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I haven't washed anything by hand for 3 years.

I had forgot what it was like to have a whole terrifying pile of washing up awaiting you after dinner.

We have a dishwasher and use it about once a week to stop it seizing up or smelling. Not really sure why people use them daily, it takes longer the scrape the plates, load it up, post wash inspection, remove everything and put it away than just to put it through the washing up bowl...? Then there's the amount of water and electricity they use. I've no idea why people rely on them.

3 hours ago, Genie said:

Its far more hygienic to let them air dry. I never, ever dry them.

Yep.

Towel dry your white plates with a black tea towel. You'll realise how much of the tea towel you leave behind when you're drying.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

We have a dishwasher and use it about once a week to stop it seizing up or smelling. Not really sure why people use them daily, it takes longer the scrape the plates, load it up, post wash inspection, remove everything and put it away than just to put it through the washing up bowl...? Then there's the amount of water and electricity they use. I've no idea why people rely on them.

If there's a lot of you then I think it makes sense.

But washing up for me and my OH takes me 5-10 minutes. Would make zero sense to load a dishwasher and wait for it to finish to do it instead.

• Like 1

Due to my ahem, special ways. I do all the washing up and drying up, with a tea towel you monsters. We have a dish washer but due to its underuse it will be removed one day. Occasionally my wife might wash up a cereal bowl or coffee mug and leave them to dry on the draining board. My daughter also used to do it when she lived at home, its wrong, although seemingly none of you agree with me.

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Essentially you are all on my wife's side.

I agree with you. I find that I have to towel dry the plates etc so I at least have room for the pots and pans, which I may possibly let air dry.

Basically as long as the plates, glasses and cutlery are safely put away, I'm fairly content. If we had a dishwasher, I'd be ok them staying in there, out of the way.

I'm happy to take a bit longer over the washing/drying up as it gives me a bit of a break and some time to think/not think.

And unlike the chef who's always thanked for their efforts, the work of the humble washer-upper frequently remains unsung in my household.

• Like 3

The ever intriguing swing of topic in this thread, from hairstraightener probing to whether tea towels or air drying is better for ones fine china.

Next week Posters will be looking at the rise of incestuous bestiality and how to get the perfect crossover on your sewing patterns...

10 hours ago, Genie said:

It really doesn't!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Genie said:

They use a lot less water and are more energy efficient than heating the water for manual washing. You also have to scrape plates, inspect and put away when you do it by hand.

5 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

The ever intriguing swing of topic in this thread, from hairstraightener probing to whether tea towels or air drying is better for ones fine china.

Next week Posters will be looking at the rise of incestuous bestiality and how to get the perfect crossover on your sewing patterns...

I'm sure Ruge will try anything once 

5 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Update from me. I've split up with my partner, well it happened in March but only getting round to bringing it up here now. Not sure how to summarise it without droning on. I'll try a sequence of events. 

April 2015 - I meet a girl who's up from Bristol for a friend's party. What happens, happens. No plans to meet again, mainly due to distance (along with other factors).

June 2015 - I receive a phone call to tell me she's expecting. We meet to discuss things a couple of times, but that's more or less it.

January 2016 - my daughter is born. Frequent visits occur over the following months.

June/July 2016 - we decide to try give it a go for the sake of our daughter. They move up to live with me.

March 2017 - following a fairly big row over nothing (not our first big argument over nothing and wasn't our last), she decides that she wants to end the relationship but to continue to live up here as opposed to Bristol.

Current situation - both my daughter (now 18 months old) and her mum are still living with me. This will be the case until she can find somewhere suitable to live. I've made it clear that there's no rush at all for her to move out. She's got herself a job up here and I'm currently a stay at home dad. We're ultimately better off as friends and hopefully that will mean we'll be better, happier parents for the little 'un. I think we both felt we owed it to her to at least try and make things work, we're just not suited as a couple.

I'm really just giving this update as I feel that people are quite honest about themselves in here and I have this strange sense that I should reciprocate. I kind of know what I'm doing and I feel ok about things, but if anyone has any thoughts then by all means feel free to put them forward.

(Still a bit drony, but it's the best you're gonna get :P)

That's a shame mate.  Very mature attitude, just hope you don't get taken for a ride with her staying there.

Obviously you want what's right for your daughter so hopefully by being this way now, you won't be denied access later in the future.

I lived with an ex for short while after we split up, the tension was horrible. Sounds like you've got it under control though

• Thanks 1

I think you've done everything you could, took responsibility, gave it a go, it's not worked out but it's in your little girls best interests if that's the best way to go. I suppose now is the tricky bit and the timescale of how long she lives with you, when it becomes taking advantage of your good nature or if arguments start to happen which chip away at your future friendship to the detriment of your daughters upbringing, and of course you both need to be able to get on with your lives.

But as it stands I think you've done everything as you probably should.

At Uni one of my best mates had a one night stand with a visiting friend of our housemate, which resulted in a phone call a month or two later to say she was pregnant. My mate has had no part of his daughters upbringing apart from child maintenance. He's still a really good mate now 10 years after leaving uni but I'm not sure I could have done the same, I think I'd have wanted to see my child even if I didn't want anything apart from an amicable relationship with her mum.

• Thanks 1

Â