Irreverentad's Relationship Advice Thread

irreverentad

Been a while since I've been in this thread and have some questions for those on / have done online dating. Quick background. 38, recently moved to new place. Have made friends here with neighbours and other locals  but they're older and socially redundant. Will do the Meetups thing eventually but there's minimal activity on that here. Right so online dating it is, ETA September. My questions.

1- which is better, Match or EHarmony? I understand Eharmony is a bunch of questions and matching whereas Match is more like a profile and ad-board. 

2- if anyone lives in a small town, did they get any worth off it at all? where I am the population is probably 50,000 plus I'm ultra-rural in location at that. 

Now the reality of moving here kicks in. Not defeatist but semi humorous / realist crude maths of my predicament :

50k people here. Halve that to exclude males.

25k. Very elderly population. Deduct them, kids and women too young for me. Maybe about 5,000 then aged 30-40 as I think I'll specify on whichever site.

Then deduct all those in relationships and simply not on a dating site. Damn.... say 250 left.

deduct all munters... crazy cat ladies, and scary Marys... umm maybe 50 left? of which some might be single mums say 25 left (not prejudiced against single mums but personally for me that wouldn't work and have experience of that not being right for me)

of that 25 some who I simply wouldn't get on with and some who wouldn't be into me, my looks or my personality. 

0-5 maybe? Hmmmmn low numbers but worth a shot. Or maybe I should just order a Russian bride , might be cheaper and more than 0-5 of them available. Might even get two for one offer maybe? 

:ph34r: anyone have experience of Russian mail order brides?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Midfielder said:

Been a while since I've been in this thread and have some questions for those on / have done online dating. Quick background. 38, recently moved to new place. Have made friends here with neighbours and other locals  but they're older and socially redundant. Will do the Meetups thing eventually but there's minimal activity on that here. Right so online dating it is, ETA September. My questions.

1- which is better, Match or EHarmony? I understand Eharmony is a bunch of questions and matching whereas Match is more like a profile and ad-board. 

2- if anyone lives in a small town, did they get any worth off it at all? where I am the population is probably 50,000 plus I'm ultra-rural in location at that. 

Now the reality of moving here kicks in. Not defeatist but semi humorous / realist crude maths of my predicament :

25k. Very elderly population. Deduct them, kids and women too young for me. Maybe about 5,000 then aged 30-40 as I think I'll specify on whichever site.

Then deduct all those in relationships and simply not on a dating site. Damn.... say 250 left.

deduct all munters... crazy cat ladies, and scary Marys... umm maybe 50 left? of which some might be single mums say 25 left (not prejudiced against single mums but personally for me that wouldn't work and have experience of that not being right for me)

of that 25 some who I simply wouldn't get on with and some who wouldn't be into me, my looks or my personality. 

0-5 maybe? Hmmmmn low numbers but worth a shot. Or maybe I should just order a Russian bride , might be cheaper and more than 0-5 of them available. Might even get two for one offer maybe? 

You've kind of argued against your own question there.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Midfielder said:

Do you analyse data for a job? 

13 hours ago, Midfielder said:

it is scary, the future in that way. Somewhere in a way between Humans and Terminator 2 it'll all go wrong. 

If I end up with a robot looking like Arnie then I won't be pleased! 

19 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Secretly you would though wouldn't you?? :D

There is a line I won't cross... the line does move from time to time but that is over it! :P

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Do you analyse data for a job? 

Absolutely, work in healthcare. 

Which you might think, fit 'nurses... consultants, registrars, paramedics' whatever etc but where I work, people mostly look like they come from Royston Vasey and patients and relatives are strictly off the menu. Casualty / Holby City it ain't.

will do the Internet thing next month I think, probably EHarmony for 3 months just to see. 

If that is crap I might try Match. If that is crap then I have heard that Liz Hurley has a place in rural Herefordshire somewhere, funny that I do too. She's single? Funny that I am too. Well already have more in common than I did with my ex. 

Liz you can choke my chicken any day luv, what's your postcode please?

article-1223387-06ACA9D6000005DC-510_468

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Midfielder said:

will do the Internet thing next month I think, probably EHarmony for 3 months just to see. 

Take advantage of his injury recovery schedule.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Midfielder said:

Absolutely, work in healthcare. 

Which you might think, fit 'nurses... consultants, registrars, paramedics' whatever etc but where I work, people mostly look like they come from Royston Vasey and patients and relatives are strictly off the menu. Casualty / Holby City it ain't.

Wherever you live relatives should be off the menu... unless you live in Coventry 

• Like 2

Am I bad person?

I'm getting married in 3 months

I love my girlfriend very very much

I love her kids like they were my own

I am looking forward to being married to her

I don't give a flying squirrels left nut about the wedding itself. All the organising and planning (admittedly mostly done by the gf) does my head in. Who do we invite, what do we eat. I have to spend a whole day looking at suits next weekend. For a simple fella like myself, all this hoo-ha is making me wish I could time travel to the day after the wedding, or at least until 9pm the night of when all that is left is to get drunk. 

13 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Am I bad person?

I'm getting married in 3 months

I love my girlfriend very very much

I love her kids like they were my own

I am looking forward to being married to her

I don't give a flying squirrels left nut about the wedding itself. All the organising and planning (admittedly mostly done by the gf) does my head in. Who do we invite, what do we eat. I have to spend a whole day looking at suits next weekend. For a simple fella like myself, all this hoo-ha is making me wish I could time travel to the day after the wedding, or at least until 9pm the night of when all that is left is to get drunk. 

Ha! No way does that make you a bad person, I'd say you're firmly in the majority there! 

I got married abroad, with minimal faff and it was so sweet and chilled, so I didn't experience it as a groom. I've been a best man and usher though and didn't envy my pals one bit. Dramarama. 

• Like 2

I'm the same.

I don't want a big wedding. I'd like lots of people there, but I don't want it to be a huge extravagant thing.

I'm not cheap. I like spending money, I do ok so I have some money to spend.

But the thought of spunking £20-30k on a wedding is absurd to me.

I got married in Vegas - we didn't have drama, it was just pure fun.  Absolutely loved my wedding day.  Everyone kept giving me free drinks at bars on Fremont street, got limos everywhere, went on a helicopter ride into the grand canyon for lunch, ate in the Venetian for our "reception meal".  Including a 3 week honey moon in Chicago, Toronto and NYC it cost us £3500. 

And none of it was "cheesy".  I'd do it all again :) 

• Like 2

The idea of a big wedding absolutely horrifies me. I'm the most introverted bastard in the world, and having to stand in front of a crowd of people makes me want to die.

Ideally if I ever get married it'd be abroad.

• Like 2

Â