Irreverentad's Relationship Advice Thread

irreverentad

I wouldn't change my two wedding days for the world, at the time it meant the world to us and I'll look back on them with fondness, happiness and maybe a few what ifs but I'd never do a 'big' wedding again.

Too much of that stupid pressure to show off, too much to plan, too expensive and mostly, to exhausting. Ask of that time, effort and money and woosh, the day fly's by and then it's done. 

Next time will be a trip to Cornwall with small amount of immediate family and some friends for a much smaller wedding/party.

Edited by Ingram85

19 minutes ago, choffer said:

Am I the only one that read this expecting the closer to be a dilemma over whether to invite the girlfriend to the wedding?

Haha, nice one mate. I find the word 'fiance' awkward. She is my girlfriend, then she'll be my wife. 

She loves telling people I'm her fiancé and gets mighty irritated when I introduce her as my girlfriend. 

5 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Haha, nice one mate. I find the word 'fiance' awkward. She is my girlfriend, then she'll be my wife. 

She loves telling people I'm her fiancé and gets mighty irritated when I introduce her as my girlfriend. 

Sounds like there's room for water-testing. Future introductions could involve "my ****-buddy", "long-time acquaintance" or "it's complicated. " Good luck :thumb:

As for weddings no, sounds so boring. I'll do what my friend did and aim for a small wedding abroad. He got married in Crete. Pricey to attend obviously but it forced a cracking holiday on me.

We've done the cheap v expensive weddings thing on VTOT before. Ours was very trad, but not expensive (honeymoon was a week in North Devon - on the bus!) 

We did have colour pics, but I like the b&w ones best. This one is scanned (grainy) and cropped, but I've always liked it. 1982. 

FB_IMG_1502809751057.jpg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

We've done the cheap v expensive weddings thing on VTOT before. Ours was very trad, but not expensive (honeymoon was a week in North Devon - on the bus!) 

We did have colour pics, but I like the b&w ones best. This one is scanned (grainy) and cropped, but I've always liked it. 1982. 

FB_IMG_1502809751057.jpg

What on earth did that stunner see in yow? 

;)  

2 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Were you on a break from touring with The Fall Mark, or did you squeeze the wedding in between gigs? 

Makes a change from Morrissey. My misfortune to look like two singers I can't stand. 

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Makes a change from Morrissey. My misfortune to look like two singers I can't stand. 

I've done you a bit of a disservice there to be fair, you have definitely aged better! 

Mark E Smith looks like Stephen Hawking would if he was under NHS care these days! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Screenshot_2017-08-19-22-07-36.png

Off topic, I know, but someone on the Daily Mail Online comments was suggesting that someone had programmed Hawking's computer to say that stuff against his will :crylaugh:

(No I don't read the daily mail online. I follow a Twitter account that retweets the most mental comments)

• Like 1

On 20/08/2017 at 09:16, Stevo985 said:

Off topic, I know, but someone on the Daily Mail Online comments was suggesting that someone had programmed Hawking's computer to say that stuff against his will :crylaugh:

(No I don't read the daily mail online. I follow a Twitter account that retweets the most mental comments)

What account is that mate? I love shit like that! 

I'd highly recommend this one, they don't tweet that often. But when they do they get all of the lolz

On 14/08/2017 at 22:25, Villan_of_oz said:

Am I bad person?

I'm getting married in 3 months

I love my girlfriend very very much

I love her kids like they were my own

I am looking forward to being married to her

I don't give a flying squirrels left nut about the wedding itself. All the organising and planning (admittedly mostly done by the gf) does my head in. Who do we invite, what do we eat. I have to spend a whole day looking at suits next weekend. For a simple fella like myself, all this hoo-ha is making me wish I could time travel to the day after the wedding, or at least until 9pm the night of when all that is left is to get drunk. 

Having just got married, I totally empathise with you. 

I felt similar to you, indeed I wanted to elope. But shortly after getting engaged, because of my decisions about the wedding I felt people didn't think I actually wanted to get married. I'm not keen on most of the traditional weddingy things and neither is my wife, so most of them we didn't do.

I'd encourage everyone to say 'balls' to 'traditional' wedding and do whatever you want.

I don't like being the center of attention but there's something very special about your nearest and dearest being happy for you and you'll enjoy all the other gumph on the day.

Also I'd advise you not to get hammered. Cus... you know...

51 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

What account is that mate? I love shit like that! 

I'd highly recommend this one, they don't tweet that often. But when they do they get all of the lolz

@DMReporter

• Like 1

Your wedding day is for the pair of you getting married. It is not for the mums, no matter what they might think.

Our wedding was nearly hi jacked by both sets of parents adding 'important' people to the guest list. We had quite a direct chat with both sets of parents that we didn't care how many family weddings 'uncle fernando' had attended, we had never previously heard of the dude so he wasn't coming to ours. A tense few days, but well worth it as it also set the tone for people trying to tell us we needed table decorations, bags of sugared almonds (?), a stretch limo for the evening and all manner of other shite.

• Like 1

Â